• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ich bin ein Berliner

Fresser

HE/SHE's so ugly they fed em bisquits with a slingshot.

HE/SHE's so sorry they had to tie a porkchop around their neck so the dog would play with em.

(Bless his/her heart!)

I'm gonna <insert whatever here> if it hairlips every cow in Texas.

(I have heard this one since I was young and it still makes no sense. It is useful for driving Europeans crazy.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

"That's the way the hog ate the collards."

Meaning? Some of you have to translate your regional expressions for us Northeasterners. :laugh:

And Sconz, I've never heard "Lettuce alone without dressing," but I figure I know what it means - maybe sort of like the "One Meatball" in the song of the same name (with no potatoes, no tomatoes, and no bread).

Michael aka "Pan"

"That's the way the hog ate the collards."

Meaning? Some of you have to translate your regional expressions for us Northeasterners. :laugh:

And Sconz, I've never heard "Lettuce alone without dressing," but I figure I know what it means - maybe sort of like the "One Meatball" in the song of the same name (with no potatoes, no tomatoes, and no bread).

Yeah. I started not getting them a while ago.

I love tryska's Oz friend. Now there's a hungry person!

actually it was even funnier when she said it - her exact phrase in that wonderful accent was:

"i'm so famished i could eat the arse out of a low-flying duck. And i'm a vegetarian!!"

Seperti budak makan pisang (like a child eating a banana).

That Malay expression is equivalent to "wet behind the ears." The best explanation I've gotten for why the child is eating a banana is that bananas are often the first food given to weaned kids.

Michael aka "Pan"