• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt

sara

Yes, I think Katie, Sara and I should go out on the town!

Do a little article, maybe about "woman who know wine" and the stories behind them!

Are you too recognizable for that, Katie?

You flatter me. I'm hardly in the position to be avoiding my adoring autograph seeking public and the papparazzi in the bushes. But I just love the delusion, even for a brief moment. :laugh:

Certainly I know a fair number of the other wine professionals in the city, and of course I know that I'd be recognized by them, but if they're as good at their jobs as I know them to be, the level of service I'd receive shouldn't be any different than that of another customer with the exception of the professional courtesy of a glass of wine on the house perhaps. Actually, I know how excited I get when there are customers that wish to be engaging about the wine selections, and I love talking to interested folks for as long as they'll listen. Since Rouge is so small and so high turnover, there's hardly the need for a formal on-the-floor sommelier, but when the servers can't answer the questions themselves or just have someone that clearly wants that sort of guidance I will emerge from my office and go chat. It's one of my favorite things to do. I suspect a group of sincerely wine interested ladies like us would be refreshing and a delight for any of the professionals that I know, provided they weren't in the weeds at the time.

I actually just had a very odd service (wine was only part of the problem) experience earlier this week that I'll be posting about probably tomorrow. You'll all have to tell me if I'm being over sensitive or if I have justification for feeling that all was not right.

I really do like the idea of writing an article about women and wine service, or perhaps (unfortunately) expanded to the service women receive in restaurants and bars in general. Much like that scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts walks in with thousands of dollars of shopping bags dripping off her well cotured arms and tells off the snarky sales clerks that wouldn't look at her twice earlier, ("You work on commission don't you? BIG mistake!") I'd just LOVE to call some jackass on the chauvanist approach and remind them that not only do I tip, but I tip well, simply because I've been in their well worn shoes before. And I probably know at least as much about the wine list, if not more. Please do not condescend to me. I respond rather poorly to it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I had bad wine service at Morton's . It's amazing reading through an old post that I thought $40 was reasonable for Casillero del Diablo, which retials for $8.99 eek.

I am eager to find out where the chef from Salt goes, would love to have his food.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that any restaurant would not take pride in their service, or in making every guest feel special. As far as wine goes, the second best thing to drinking is it talking about, sharing one's knowledge and helping them discover new tastes and experiences. I think it's a must for people to feel comfortable with their selections in a restaurant - including "taking a bottle back" if I recommend it and a guest doesn't enjoy it. My old joke with that is "If you don't like it, then I get to drink it after we close"!

To introduce people to Meritage Philadelphia, my new restaurant at 20th and Lombard Streets during the month of June, we are offering complimentary tastings of some extraordinary Italian wines – Ceretto “La Bernardina” Viognier 1997,

Monsanto “Tincsvil” 1995, Oberto Dolcetto 1998,

and Carlo Giocosa “Montefico” Barbaresco 1993.

Please give us a call at 215.985.1922 to let us know when you would like to drop

by for a complimentary glass or to make a reservation for dinner. We are here Monday through Saturday, 5–11pm, and we look forward to making your acquaintance

and to serving you.

Sincerely,

James Colabelli

To introduce people to Meritage Philadelphia, my new restaurant at 20th and Lombard Streets during the month of June, we are offering complimentary tastings of some extraordinary Italian wines – Ceretto “La Bernardina” Viognier 1997,

Monsanto “Tincsvil” 1995, Oberto Dolcetto 1998,

and Carlo Giocosa “Montefico” Barbaresco 1993.

Please give us a call at 215.985.1922 to let us know when you would like to drop

by for a complimentary glass or to make a reservation for dinner. We are here Monday through Saturday, 5–11pm, and we look forward to making your acquaintance

and to serving you.

Sincerely,

James Colabelli

Hmm. Maybe I will stop by as well.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.