• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bad pork

Malawry

I just came back from dinner out with a friend. I ordered something described as fried morsels of pork. Sounds good, right? I got chunks of random pieces of pork that had been tossed in the fryer. No sauce. Tough and not very tasty, though they were seasoned before frying at least.

I couldn't eat more than one chunk, but I want to see if my leftovers can be saved. Is it possible to braise something like this until tender if it's already "cooked through" (no pinkness in center)? I was thinking of braising it with some stock and some frozen baked beans I made last summer, to make my lunch tomorrow. Will it work?

I don't see why not. I mean it sounds like you are satisfied that it isn't spoiled, just poorly cooked, right? I would think of maybe braising in some chicken stock or what have your for an hour or two before adding the beans. If the beans are already baked, they may turn to mush before the pork got tender.

BTW... The last pork butt that I smoked wasn't all that good. Even though it got to the pulled pork phase, it just didn't have that porky taste and was not melt-in-your-mouth tender like it usually is. Maybe your pork came from the same pig. :laugh: The pork butt looked good enough when I bought it... good fat cap, generous marbleing, etc. it just wasn't a good piece of pork. I don't know how you tell something like that ahead of time.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yeah, the pork isn't spoiled, just mistreated. I colored off some aromatics, deglazed my pan with wine, cooked the wine down, added the pork and some stock, and got it going in the oven. It's been a half hour so it's too early to tell but I am optimistic this will help save it. If it's noticeably more tender after an hour and a half, then I'll add the beans.

Once I cooked a chuck roast and didn't have enough time to finish it because something unexpected came up - I had to pop it in the fridge and finish cooking it the next day. It did get more tender and certainly edible, but you know, I don't remember it being great. But it can't hurt to try, Malawry! It's already paid for! Why waste it?! The worst thing that could happen is that it will STILL suck. :smile:

We're at an hour now, and I just checked on it. It's noticeably more tender, not meltingly so but I think it will get there over the next 30-45 minutes. Seems like it's working!

Sam, there's way too much of this pork for fried rice, and I'm out of white rice, and besides I don't think tiny bits of tough pork in fried rice sound so appealing. It's not a bad thought though.

I brought it home because I knew I couldn't eat it but I couldn't bear to pitch it. This was from Cubano's in Silver Spring, for those of you playing along from the DC area. Don't get the fried pork. DO get the mashed yucca stuffed with ground beef from the starter menu.