• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Windows on the World Wine Course

jeffperez62

I was looking into possibly taking this course. Has anyone taken it, or know of the depth of the course. I looked at the web site and got some gereral info. I know Kevin Zraly is a great wine educator, but I was just wondering if someone had a quick overview or opinion on the class.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I have seen Zraly several times, though I haven't taken the course. He is very informative as well as entertaining. I do not know if it is stll the case, but the course used to sell out_VERY_ far in advance.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but its certainly a good sign for the course. At the very least I would pick up a copy of the book, it is worth having, though, it does have some shortcomings. (What resource doesn't?)

Of course, as others would say here, there is no substitute for drinking lots of wine. :smile:

Msk

I took the class in 96' and found it to be fun and informative. It is barely more than an introduction though; so if you know the basics this might be a bit elementary. Kevin is a great teacher and a great industry contact/resource, and if nothing else you will meet interesting people.

I have a pretty fair knowledge of wine, I guess I'm looking for some sort of an "advanced course". Any suggestions??

If you want something more in-depth, look up the courses at the French Culinary Institute or International Wine Center (I believe that's what it's called). They have professional and semi-professional introductory courses that will be much more involved than a one-day session with Mr. Zraly. As with Mr. Zraly's classes, these are also rather expensive, but well worth it. I don't know if Andera Immer is still conducting courses at the FCI, but last I heard she was the director of wine curriculum there. Also, there is the former Kump's school (I.C.E. is what it's called now I think) which conducts consumer-oriented courses on an ongoing basis. So there are a lot of other resources for you, those are just a few.

Cheers

I took the Windows on the World course about 15 years ago. It was excellent. It was a very good overview of wine. For 10 weeks, you taste 10 wines a class...with each class addressing a type of wine, for example california whites, or french reds. kevin is knowledgeable, and makes it fun. what i found helpful is that you can compare similar wines....3 calif chards for example. but it also through some very good wines into the tasting, for example Dom Perignon in a blind champagne tasting.

You are right that if you already have the basics, that much of this would be repetitive. At this point it may be best to take classes that focus on specific areas you are interested in. For example, a tasting of 10 reds from tuscany

One more thought is to get a friend or 2 and hit some wines bars.

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey