• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dried Mushrooms 101

breathexercise

All things being equal, I probably would have used a non-Asian mushroom. But the price was right on these, and I am operating on a budget.

Good suggestion to reconstitute some and try them out first. These are sliced, not whole, and from reading about them elsewhere it seems they should be a little less chewy because of that. But it would be good to get a feel for them in advance.

They are just one mushroom in a mushroom ragu that will also include button mushrooms and portabellos, but since our budget will only allow a small quantity of the more expensive mushrooms, we wanted to use a dried mushroom for a more concentrated flavor (and to be able to use the broth from reconsituting it). But I will keep the texture and size issue in mind when deciding how to cut them up.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I dry my own mushrooms using a food dehydrator. when I am at the fruit and vegetable market and I see buttons or flats for a good price I buy extra. When I get them home I slice them all up and dehydrate the lot. I put them all in a air tight container and rehydrate them for 20 - 30 mins in cold water before use. If I am in a hurry I will put them in a bowl of water and microwave them for 15 seconds. With the dried shitake's I put some in a container and cover them with water. Then their always ready for use when you are.

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Does anyone know of a cheese shop in the central NJ area? I  know that Kings and   Shoprite carry alot but they are all cut and wrapped. There use to  be a few around but they are gone.

Bon Appetit in the Princeton Shopping Center on Harrison Avenue.

Olsson's Fine Foods in the Trenton Farmer's Market.

Kevin

Whole Foods, Wegmans on route 1 and Bon appetite in Princeton are hands down the best in central Jersey

For years I soaked dried mushrooms in water, then threw the water out. :shock:

Then, a while back, I made a wild mushroom tart from the Silver Palate cookbook which called for soaking the mushrooms in apple brandy, then using the mushroom liquor in the recipe as well. What a difference!

Ever since, I've been soaking my dried mushrooms in alcohol, and throwing the flavored liquor into the mix. I've found that fortified wines like marsala, madiera or sherry are wonderful for this purpose.

This method packs a flavor punch!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pushing this topic back up in hopes of finding sources for dried Italian or European mushrooms in bulk. I live next to Japantown in San Francisco and have a great selection of dried Oriental mushrooms, but have finally figured out that I always need to have a large selection of mushrooms on hand and want to buy larger quantities than most stores sell.

Specifically, I would like to find bulk offerings of morels, porcini, chantrelles...

Chanterelles have a rubbery texture when reconstituted. Morels and porcini both reconstitute well but aren't exactly value priced - more reasonably priced wild mushrooms would be black trumpets and yellowfoot chanterelles, both reconstitute well and are generally available at more reasonable prices. Far West Fungi in the ferry plaza has dried porcini in 1lb bags. I've got no idea where to get dried morels at a reasonable price but fresh ones will be available throughout the sierras over the next several weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone:

i think the important thing for the dried mushroom is that the dried mushroom should be wild mushroom,100%natural no pollution,they are very helpful for people's body,do you think so? if the dried mushrooms are cultivated,then no any significance to make the mushroom to be dried,for every place can make the cultivated fresh mushroom,only the wild mushroom can grow in some countries(for eaxample china)and some season.do you agree with me?

waiting for your reply

Specifically, I would like to find bulk offerings of morels, porcini, chantrelles...

Costco usually has a large container of dried porcini available. My local warehouse has it for $7.50, end of season, half the usual price, about 14 oz. if I recall.

They are of Chinese origin, and fairly pungent. I find them to be very good if the stems are discarded.

hi everyone:

i think the important  thing for the dried mushroom is that the dried mushroom should be wild mushroom,100%natural no pollution,they are very helpful for people's body,do you think so? if the dried mushrooms are cultivated,then no any significance to make the mushroom to be dried,for every place can make the cultivated fresh mushroom,only the wild mushroom can grow in some countries(for eaxample china)and some season.do you agree with me?

waiting for your reply

Xie, what type of wild dried Chinese mushrooms are available? I expect most of what we see in western Oriental or Chinese markets is cultivated and dried. Am I right?