• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt Bagel

Fat Guy

Okay, not all soft pretzels are boiled.  But lots are, as a Google search on "pretzel recipe" reveals.  Almost all call for boiling (or steaming); there is one that calls for a dip in water and soda, a la Fisher's.

Andrew, your info reminded me that when I was a kid in North Jersey, we'd take the St. George's Ferry to Brooklyn to visit our Flatbush relatives, and while waiting for the boat vendors would walk through the queues hawking what we called "pretzel bagels" which, now that I'm tasting them in my memory, were probably boiled. But it's hard to image Federal Pretzel or the other Philadelphia bakers boiling them.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I normally dont eat salt bagels, but at this point I would kill( not really) for one.

I grew up in Florida where everyone that bakes bagels is from NY. I spent 15yrs in Cali where I could find semi-decent bagels. Now, Im in hick town Ontario and I refuse to eat any bagels disguised as bread. The last decent bagel I had was a Montreal bagel last August. Very good, but very different from what I was used to.

I never liked them growing up (on Long Island). I morphed from poppy to sesame to egg onion to everything.

Now, they still seem a bit much, but when we are up in Ann Arbor, I get the "Enuf Already" bagel from Zingerman' which does include some nice crunchy salt chunks.

Boy, does that make me thirsty though!! (Especially when I get it with scallion cream cheese and Virginia ham).

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Man, I love salt bagels. But they gotta be fresh. There is nothing worse in bagelland than a salt bagel that's gone all soggy. And lots of salt too- I don't want to see the surface of the bagel. I want it to be a painfully good experience, complete with teary eyes and a slightly scraped upper palate. All mitigated, of course, with loads of soft squishy butter, which is the perfect foil for the stinging attack of the salt. And a giant cuppa joe to wash it all down.

Just don't tell your doctor.....

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

• 4 weeks later...

Salt bagels have always been a favorite - and I have even purchased them in North Dakota and every time I'm in the Twin Cities, we bring back a bunch of Brueger's to keep in the freezer...