• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Bourbon Whiskey

My wife got me a small batch bourbon sampler for Christmas and I'm looking forward to a night of sampling each of them tonight. The sampler has "airplane-sized" bottles (one to two shots) of Bookers, Bakers, Basil Hayden, and Knob Creek.

I cut my teeth on Jack Daniels and count Bushmills as my all-time favorite spirit, so I'm pretty familiar with whiskies and bourbons. I'm really excited to dip my toes in a little more to learn about some different brands. If anything particularly strikes me, I'll report back.

I'm not much of a Bourbon drinker (never got the hang of "brown liquor", tho I love the smell), but my new Christmas treat, "A Passion for Desserts" (Luchetti) includes a Woodford Reserve Bourbon Milkshake y'all might enjoy. (I was riffling through the book early this a.m., and it even made my mouth water, and as I said, generally, I don't do brown liquor!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 1 month later...

I worked in Louisville for a month or so last year and did a lot of visitations to bourbon distilleries while I was there. I have to say, I had been a Maker's Mark fan for years but Basil Hayden and Woodford Reserve are now my go to bourbons.

And I must say that everyone who finds themselves near KY should go visit these places. They're beautiful and the tours are great. There are no tastings (many distilleries are even in dry counties) but they all offer great bourbon balls.

Being a fanatic drinker of single malts I confess that I used bourbon only in cooking ( deglazing etc). Only recently a friend introduced me to this fine series of drinks.

I haven't tasted much but I am partial to Bakers and Bookers. Especially Bakers has such a full body that I was surpized. Also, I can't help but noticing that I have never had a hangover after a... wild night with those two. :)

Needless to say that both brands are extremely expensive in Greece and very difficult to find something that it's a real pity.

Edited by Athenaeus (log)
"Muabet de Turko,kama de Grego i komer de Djidio", old sefardic proverb ( Three things worth in life: the gossip of the Turk , the bed of the Greek and the food of the Jew)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Adding to the cost of fine bourbons is the fact that the aging barrels can, by law, be used only once. Worse yet, one third to one half of the whiskey evaporates from the casks during the aging process. Most of the evaporation -- and aging -- take place in the summer when the whiskey "breathes" or expands deep into the charred lining of the barrels. (Old-time distillers called the evaporated whiskey "the angels' third" and believed it was a necessary sacrifice to ensure a quality product.)

Today's Herald Tribune article.

• 1 month later...

Woodford Reserve wins!

The Courier-Journal's article covering the final court's ruling:

A federal judge Friday ordered Barton Brands Inc. to pull its Ridgewood Reserve 1792 bourbon off store shelves right away, saying the company purposely violated the trademark rights of Brown-Forman Corp.

Grab your bottle of Ridgewood Reserve 1792 quick, if it is still on the shelf at your favourite liquor store!

In the news: Woodford's legal squabble regarding advertising.

I have maintained for a while that B-F's claims about letting people know that Woodford Reserve is not made at Labrot & Graham is bogus. We have visited the distillery twice--the first time shortly after they opened and again just last year. The place is gorgeous and well worth a visit. However, on both occasions they were very quick to change the subject when I asked about "how can you make an eight year old whiskey in a distilliery that just opened?" and "who makes the whiskey being sold as WR?". One of the docents was downright peeved that I actually noticed a problem in the date of production/sales. They hedged the question by saying it was "bottled" on site--which it is as they bring the barrels fr/ the distillery near Louisville to L&G and bottle it there.

When I asked at the gift shop, "when is the WR that is made on premise going to be available?" the lady was quite upset that I mentioned the fact and several of those who were in the gift shop were amazed. "You mean this is not the stuff made here?" was the standard question after I said what I did much to the chagrin of the sales people who quickly glossed over the subject.

So, their high & mighty assertions that they let every one know that the product w/ the WR label is NOT manufactured at L&G is, in a word, hogwash and good for some one for making note of the fact.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

• 2 weeks later...

drank more makers mark on the rocks than i should have, much earlier in the evening than i should have tonight. that's good whiskey.

this thread is interesting, and i'm glad to see makers mark is on so many people's top 5 lists. can i ask people to sort a little differently:

1. favorite bourbon <$20

2. favorite bourbon <$30

3. favorite bourbon>$30

all for 750 ml bottles.

i'm guessing some here drink bourbon and scotch. i have encountered scotch aficionados who sniff at bourbon (no, not before taking a sip). personally, since i cannot afford to drink a lot of expensive single-malts i find the bourbon i can afford to be much better than the scotch i can afford.

drank more makers mark on the rocks than i should have, much earlier in the evening than i should have tonight. that's good whiskey.

this thread is interesting, and i'm glad to see makers mark is on so many people's top 5 lists. can i ask people to sort a little differently:

1. favorite bourbon <$20

2. favorite bourbon <$30

3. favorite bourbon>$30

all for 750 ml bottles.

i'm guessing some here drink bourbon and scotch. i have encountered scotch aficionados who sniff at bourbon (no, not before taking a sip). personally, since i cannot afford to drink a lot of expensive single-malts i find the bourbon i can afford to be much better than the scotch i can afford.

Good question Mongo! I'm going to sort a little diffferently as well, just because there's too many favorites at too many price levels:

Inexpensive but excellent quality = Evan Williams 7 year old

< $20 = Maker's Mark

< $30 = Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, Gentleman Jack

< $50 = Baker's, Blanton's

<$75 = Eagle Rare 17 year old (this may be one of my very favorites)

< $100 = A.H. Hirsch 16 or 20 year old (if you can find it), Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old (I think price may have gone just above $100 of late)

Money is no object = Distiller's Masterpiece, Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year old (haven't actually tasted this one myself, just heard about the legendary taste from other Bourbophilic friends)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie, you beat me to the punch, but kudos for tipping a nod to the Evan Williams Single Barrel. Scrolling these posts, I was aghast not to see it listed as a value-conscious favorite. Nice body, vanilla and spicy tobacco notes, well-balanced, for about $25 a bottle. A great gift to coax those JW Black/rx die-hards back to our shores. Neat, give me Woodford or Basil or Van Winkle 12. Couple of rocks and I'll take Booker's(also quite handy for flambeing bananas). Maker's for a killer perfect Manhattan up(don't chill the glass). Sazerac and soda is a beautiful thing. Wild Turkey 101 for caramelized peaches with creme anglaise.

Bourbon and jazz bring out the patriot in me.

Two of Evan Williams were rated in Wine Enthusiast mag with "Highest Recommendation" and "Best Buy": the 10 year old (price quoted at $11) and the Vintage 1994 Single Barrel ($25).

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker (except for Manhattans, and then I actually prefer rye if it's available), but these sound like good bargains for the bar stash.

some swear by something called old grand dad? never encountered it myself--thoughts? what price class does it fall in?

Old Grandad is a mass-produced bourbon that falls into the value- priced category. It's fairly harsh and astringent and, in my opininion, lacks any unique qualities. Generally I find it's ordered as a shot. Those that order it on the rocks or in a cocktail are usually throwbacks, the bourbon equivalent to Cutty Sark drinkers. Grandad also makes a 100 proof whiskey and a higher end 114 proof version. Admittedly I haven't tasted the 114, so I know nothing of the quality.

Addendum to favorites: In the rye category, Fritz Maytag's Old Potrero Single Barrel. Handmade in small batches, 124 proof, knocks the proverbial socks off.

Two of Evan Williams were rated in Wine Enthusiast mag with "Highest Reccomendation" and "Best Buy"" the 10 year old (price quoted at $11) and the Vintage 1994 Single Barrel ($25).

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker (except for Manhattans, and then I actually prefer rye if it's available), but these sound like good bargains for the bar stash.

okay, you, and the $11 price-tag, have convinced me. i'm getting a bottle of the evan williams 10 year old.

by the way, what is it about bourbons and men's names? vodkas don't seem to be named after people (except perhaps the russians), most single-malts seem to be named after places etc. etc.

Addendum to favorites: In the rye category, Fritz Maytag's Old Potrero Single Barrel. Handmade in small batches, 124 proof, knocks the proverbial socks off.

A.H. Hirsch also makes a 13 year old rye that's outstanding. About $38 and well worth it.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Money is no object = Distiller's Masterpiece, Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 year old (haven't actually tasted this one myself, just heard about the legendary taste from other Bourbophilic friends)

out of curiosity: just how little of an object is money with these labels? are there bourbons that command the super premium (>$1000 per bottle) that some scotches do?