• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Creme Brulee?

SobaAddict70

Oh dear, am I going to be drummed out for admitting that I'm with Soba on not understanding all the brouhaha? I mean, CB is all right -- if I have not just had a big, rich meal. Which pretty much precludes my having it in a restaurant. And I almost never make desserts at home. I don't deny that it tastes good and is fun to eat. But I guess it's one of those foods I just don't "get:" I can think of lots of other things to do with cream, sugar, and a little egg.

Now, if you ask about the Foie Gras Brulee at Jean Georges -- :wub::wub: All the wonderful textural elements, but with much more interesting flavors.

One last thing: last night we saw the Beckett/Albee plays with Marian Seldes and Brian Murray. Creme brulee is a very, very important element in the Albee. And funny, too. If you get a chance to see this (NYC; don't know if it will travel), DO.

Tana, I love it. Your post that is, almost as much as creme brulee itself. Well maybe not that much, but anyway... well put! And Katherine, also my sentiments exactly when I think of cream, sugar and egg yolk. :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

i'm with soba. don't really get CB. then again, i'm also with jinmyo, and gah on desserts in general.

that said, as long as people like it, i would be the first one to continue putting it on restaurant menus.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.