• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upstate Bird Sources

docsconz

This topic is too late for this Thanksgiving, but since I am thinking about it now, maybe useful for the future.

I get my birds from Thistle Downs, an excellent environmentally friendly producer of quality poultry located in Schuylerville, N.Y.. I will be picking up two Red Bourbon turkeys from them tomorrow. They also raise Cornish and Corndel Cross chickens, Rouen and Pekin ducks, Geese and Broad breasted white turkeys.

Anyone else have any favorite sources?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

This topic is too late for this Thanksgiving, but since I am thinking about it now, maybe useful for the future.

I get my birds from Thistle Downes, an excellent environmentally friendly producer of quality poultry located in Schuylerville, N.Y.. I will be picking up two Red Bourbon turkeys from them tomorrow. They also raise Cornish and Corndel Cross chickens, Rouen and Pekin ducks, Geese and Broad breasted white turkeys.

Anyone else have any favorite sources?

hey doc,

the url came through a bit fuzzy, is there a link? If so I would certainly like to see it, since Schylerville is not that far from me.

Thank you sir.

woodburner

Try this: http://www.thistledownes.com/index.html

Sorry about that - the cut and paste didn't work the way I thought it would :shock::wacko: I believe I have corrected the problem. Thanks for the heads up.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Birds...

Check out this article in About Town newspaper. There are some nice sources at the bottom. I have not tried any yet, but I will be trying Stone Church ducks soon...At least I hope to... :biggrin:

Ant

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I will be picking up two Red Bourbon turkeys from them tomorrow.

Hey Doc, how were the Red Bourbons? We had an Eastern Wild of no specific address.

I actually haven't had them yet. We wound up going over my brother's for Thanksgiving and had a free-range turkey of another breed. It was outstanding. These turkeys are gonna hit our freezer for a later date. This may not be too far in the future. we didn't get left-overs so I'm not all turkeyed out.

Twitter - @docsconz

Birds...

Check out this article in About Town newspaper. There are some nice sources at the bottom. I have not tried any yet, but I will be trying Stone Church ducks soon...At least I hope to... :biggrin:

Ant

Nice link. This is a good looking source for the southern end of "upstate" NY.

Twitter - @docsconz

I've gotten some stewing chickens from:

Quattro's Farm Store

107 Tinkertown Road

Pleasant Valley, NY 12569

(845) 635-2018

They raise deer, pheasants, turkeys, ducks, geese, and chickens.

They are on the north side of Route 44 maybe 3 miles west of

the Taconic State Parkway. The Taconic, of course, runs about

15 miles east of the Hudson River from White Plains to a

little southeast of Albany. Route 44 is a little north of

Route 55 which is an east-west road at the latitude of

Poughkeepsie.

My notes include

Stone & Thistle Farm

1211 Kelso Road

East Meredith, NY 13757

Ph: 607-278-5773

Fax: 607-278-6914

warren@catskill.net

but I have yet to buy there.

Can try

McEnroe Farm Market

Certified Organic Produce

Millerton, NY 12546

1-518-789-4191

on the west side of Route 22. From Pawling, NY, drive north,

a long way!

They have some chickens they raise themselves. Bought some of

their garlic and organic carrots.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

• 2 weeks later...
I will be picking up two Red Bourbon turkeys from them tomorrow.

Hey Doc, how were the Red Bourbons? We had an Eastern Wild of no specific address.

I actually haven't had them yet. We wound up going over my brother's for Thanksgiving and had a free-range turkey of another breed. It was outstanding. These turkeys are gonna hit our freezer for a later date. This may not be too far in the future. we didn't get left-overs so I'm not all turkeyed out.

We had one of them last week. It was incredible. My wife roasted it simply. The meat was moist and delicious with real turkey flavor and I do mean flavor. She made a soup with the carcass that was also outstanding. I do recommend them.

Twitter - @docsconz

This previous post reminded me to post a bit of info myself. I went to order some ducks from Stone Church Farm. The lady politely informed me that with all of the positive press (Gourmet Mag, NY Times, and About Town newspaper) they have a 2-3 month backlog!! The ducks she described to me sounded absolutely delicious and I put my name on the list. When I receive my first bird in 6-8 weeks I'll roast her up and report back. I'll be sure to get every last morsel out of her, from the meat, to duck stock, to tasty clarified duck fat. Mmmm, nice spring asparaus and favas quickly sauteed in duck fat. It makes me hungry for spring!!

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

This previous post reminded me to post a bit of info myself. I went to order some ducks from Stone Church Farm. The lady politely informed me that with all of the positive press (Gourmet Mag, NY Times, and About Town newspaper) they have a 2-3 month backlog!! The ducks she described to me sounded absolutely delicious and I put my name on the list. When I receive my first bird in 6-8 weeks I'll roast her up and report back. I'll be sure to get every last morsel out of her, from the meat, to duck stock, to tasty clarified duck fat. Mmmm, nice spring asparaus and favas quickly sauteed in duck fat. It makes me hungry for spring!!

Anthony

I for one will be looking forward to your report.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

just got back from the holidays with johnnybird's family in poughkeepsie. his dad and stepmother #2/mother-in-law #3 live out in millbrook and mother/mil#1 in po-town. after 20+ years of going by quattro's and saying "we should stop thereeeeeeeeeee" as we breezed by, john did stop. seems he went to high school with the owners daughter(met her), her son went to school with a brother in law and mrs. quattro's sister-in-law(the late josephine finelli) was one of johnnybird's mom's best friends. it is a freakin small world but wonderful.

since everything is freerange and mostly organic we bought the following

.97 lb domestic ground turkey - 2.42

2 duck breasts(frozen) - about 15.00- 7.99/lb

1 fresh, free range capon, about 12 lbs - about $32.00

to know that if you don't actually hunt and prepare the meat you eat from scratch you can get quality product - as the commercial says - priceless

i will be sending john up with lists to fill the void in what i can find here in northern nj to bring home in the winter esp. - there were various preparations of venison, duck(breast and leg - please take note o! exhaulted owner) but it ain't cheap), ostrich and turkey frozen, fresh free range chickens and capons - they also offered wild turkey and phesant as well as various smoked versions of the above.

we are going to have the duck breast for our christmas dinner(new years eve) and much smoked salmon so if johnnybird doesn't like it i can feed him my salmon and i get the duck breast :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Since you are from northern Jersey, you might find Goffle Poultry a good source of poultry and exotic meats.

Twitter - @docsconz