• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GIVE THEM BACK DAMN IT

Monica Bhide

an ex of mine had a book lending policy which concentrated the mind wonderfully - you could only borrow a book from him if you lent him one of equal sentimental value in return. So he would cheerfully lend crappy 70s sci-fi in return for just about anything, but try to borrow his Four Seasons cookbook and you practically had to give him the Rosetta Stone.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I think I will just stop lending the precious ones out. A friend returned one last week witha few pages missing.. this was a treasured book from the 1950s. One person still has not returned a really wonderful book on Middle Eastern cooking -- I am so mad -- they claim to have lost it. Not fair

Ofcourse if I say no, and i will, i am not sure they will understand. But I love these books too much

Oh my God, you are too nice Monica!!!

I never lend mine out. I usually offer to make photocopies. Then again anyone hardly asks to borrow any of mine :hmmm: , maybe they know that it is not a viable option.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

peanutgirl you spoke for me as well!

I wish I had a friend who lived nearby and loved cookbooks as much as I do! Everyone I know (in person :smile: ) can't believe how many cookbooks I own and how special they are to me.  I sometimes feel I am alone in my obession until I come to sites like this.

Thank you all for making me sane! :smile:

I am curious as to the name of that wonderful Middle eastern book Monica!

I feel the same Kimabima. Only my parents understand my passion for cookbooks, no-one else does. Not even my best friend, not even my husband. I keep dropping hints that I'd like cookbooks (or even book vouchers) as presents but they don't get it. Nobody does. They can't see why I would want more cookbooks when I've already got so many. I get jewelry for presents and I know most women would think I'm mad for not being happy with that, but really I'd much rather have a cookbook instead. We tend to move every few years, so I have to think a lot before I buy a new cookbook, especially if it's a large book. I can't part with them once I own them.

Monica, I'm SO sorry to hear your plight - I'm seething on your behalf here. My mother has lost quite a few books like that. I hope I never do - I might be physically ill if I did. The only books on display in my kitchen are the not-so-precious ones. The real treasures are all upstairs in the study where not many guests go. My other pet peeve : people who ask you for recipes but will not share theirs with you. I'm only too glad to share my recipes with anyone who asks for them, but I'm really beginning to get annoyed :angry: with this girl I know who only takes, never gives.

Suman

Edited to add this: I think I must be the only one in my region who the librarians see checking out more cookbooks than any other type.

Edited by rajsuman (log)

Hi rajsuman!! Are you my long lost twin???

Every year I tell my family that I would love a cookbook for Xmas or my birthday (when they ask) and they always says-oh you have so many..... I have never recived a cookbook as a gift! I don't want much else-actually any book is nice but a cookbook???....heaven!

My DH doesn't mind at all that I have so many but I think other people think it is friviolous (they of course have brick or brack, two or three cars etc. etc. ).

I would love to know what some of your favourite books are-I dare say I will want them if I don't already own them!

Yours in solidarity!

Every year I tell my family that I would love a cookbook for Xmas or my birthday (when they ask) and they always says-oh you have so many..... I have never recived a cookbook as a gift!

I'd laugh if I could but I'll groan instead. That, dear friend, is why you're here at eG. We understand exactly.

No one ever says, for example:"You already have books by Elmore Leonard! Or gardening books. Or the lives of the saints, cats or (shudder) Romance Novels."

I'm lucky. My near and dear know: Fallback present? Cookbook.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I'm lucky. My near and dear know: Fallback present? Cookbook.

Same here. Just tonight, Blovie pointed out I haven't given him my chanukka cookbook wish-list yet. :wub:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs