• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Restaurant in Montclair

menton1

Will be meeting friends for dinner and Montclair is mid-way between us, as well as a terrific restaurant town. We have already been in the past to Epernay, Fascino, Corso 98, and Palazzo.

Have zeroed in on Chelsea Grille, Liberté, and/or Twentyeight. Liberté has seemed almost empty the last few times I have passed by.

Any comments and recommendations welcome.

Guest johnh91011

I assume you want only American eclectic cuisine. If not.. for Indian food Taj Palace is outstanding. For Malaysian/Asian cuisine Taste of Asia was outstanding (I haven't been there in a couple of years). I enjoyed Taro. By the way the food at Diva Lounge was outstanding but it is more of a nightclub/bar and the "tables" are not very comfortable for eating (couches around coffee tables)

Thanks, but our tastes are running for either New American, French, or non-typical Italian. I thought of Chelsea Grille, Liberté, it seems 28 has closed.

I have heard that Orbis Bistro has a door problem, it is a single door, and in cool weather the whole place freezes when the door is opened.

Anybody been to Chelsea Grille or Liberté? Any other restos in Montclair (or environs) in these categories? Thanks.

How about Luce on Bloomfield Ave in Caldwell. Haven't been there in years so I can't say how the food is now.

Brushetta, Passiac Ave in Fairfield

Aria in Fairfield--BYO

Primavera, Pleasant Valley Way in West Orange. Can be noisey though.

Highlawn Pavilion, West Orange.

Scalini Fedeli in Chatham

Serenade, Chatham (very expensive)

Cafe Matisse, East Rutherford--BYO

Tim Schafer's, Morristown

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Well, this is my commentary on Liberte from last February [which you may well have already seen if you searched the NJ forum]. I have not been back - entirely because we have not been out in that area as much over the past few months:

[2/03] After an exhausting day of shopping for new couches, my husband and I made an impromptu stop in Montclair for dinner and ended up at Liberte - mainly because we have not tried it yet and have heard good things on this board. We were not disappointed. First, they were very accomodating to us despite our lack of reservations and lack of nice attire. The rolls, served warm, were average but the tarragon (I believe) butter had nice flavor. My husband started with snails in garlic butter and after one bite said "we are going to be OK tonight". I had a very enjoyable salad of arugula, pears, stilton and walnuts- a nice peppery and refreshing start. For main courses, we both opted for specials: I had roast leg of lamb with flageolet beans and a tomato concasse. My husband had quail stuffed with a boar sausage and oyster mushroom risotto in a perigoux (sp?) sauce with baby brussel sprouts. Both very flavorful meats, cooked as we requested and the accompaniements matched well. Desserts were a bit of a step down - the "amazing chocolate raspberry" dessert was fine but did not have the fresh raspberries we expected and did not quite live up to the description. The tarte tatin with creme fraiche was more of an open topped warm apple pie - thick filling of apples with no glaze/caramelization. I ate every bite, but again it was not what we expected. The bill was around $90 for us as well. Overall, a very nice meal in a comfortable atmosphere and we would return.

I agree with pnaoli, We have been to the Petite Cafe a lot, we love the "style", Fresh unusual fish, nice presentations, it is definitely worth the trip. My other favorites are the ones already listed I am afraid, Fascino, Epernay, Luce has gotten much better as far as I am concerned, the chef there used to work at Papillon, I was sorry he left.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention that I had been the Chef at Liberte from December '01 to this past October. So if you go there, you will find a different style of cooking although they kept some of my dishes. I just don't know how well they are executed. One of the many problems this place has encountered over the years is the lack of resource and the fact that the chef is pretty much left by himself. I had no control over the hiring of cooks and some of them were pretty bad (Diner guys...). The place now wants to do simpler food and more pasta. Let me know what you think if you do go.

Dear Rosie, I was going to open up my own place but some financing didn't go through. Right now, I am just trying to get some "personal chef" business or catering parties (any ideas???). Soon, in collaboration with a restaurant in Montclair, I will have a four or five course degustation evening, probably once a week. I'll let you know. You're right about Orlando, the line chef who came in from Blue Sky after being recommended by David. He's a very skilled cook. On another subject, I have never been to Orbis and would welcome any recent feedback. Thanks.

"Soon, in collaboration with a restaurant in Montclair, I will have a four or five course degustation evening, probably once a week. "

Do keep us informed.

If you want to cater in the Montclair area one suggestion would be to put an ad in the Montclair Times.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE