• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bum Wine!

jhlurie

I wonder if Two Buck Chuck will be entering this market segment.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thanks for the web link.

I can't wait to send it around to my friends in the fine wine business.

I am sure they will get a good laugh.

Sadly, though, it is a segment of the market that has made these companies a ton of money and the wines certainly show no aspect of the business I am in.

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Okay, I think a seriously funny Daily Gullet piece would be a side-by-side comparison of Thunderbird and some really expensive wine.

Thunderbird is peerless.

Noise is music. All else is food.

The only places I have ever seen the T-Bird for sale are Alabama, and Montana.

:sad:

New York City, my dear, the lower east side.

Mad Dog I've seen lots of places. Can't say I've ever seen that Cisco thing before.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Okay, I think a seriously funny Daily Gullet piece would be a side-by-side comparison of Thunderbird and some really expensive wine.

I'm on it. Seriously.

Dean, you realize that an egullet tasting must be more thorough than this joke of a test.

I want every flavor of every brand tested, not just the "house flavor". And of course it must be consumed outside, in an alley, next to a dumpster.

I'm on it. Seriously.

Dean, you realize that an egullet tasting must be more thorough than this joke of a test.

I want every flavor of every brand tested, not just the "house flavor". And of course it must be consumed outside, in an alley, next to a dumpster.

I respectfully disagree. The humor in the situation (potentially) comes from treating T-Bird equally with any other wine. Unless you are suggesting that the expensive vintage ALSO be consumed in/near the dumpster.

T-Bird, being the most distinctive of the Bum Wines, is the best test. And I think it only comes in one variety, unlike some of its "brother" bum wines.

Perhaps to extend the test, a box wine and some middle of the road wines can be included. But weighing the test down with Bum wines simply makes it about Bum wines. I mean, unless that's the story Dean wants to do--which is fine if true.

I implictly trust Dean. He knows what he's doing.

EDIT - I'm currently drunk of some fine wine with a screwcap and thus can't spell!

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'm on it. Seriously.

Thanks Varmint, but I'm busy that day. Let me know how it comes out - or should we say where it comes out.

I'm on it. Seriously.

I've actually contacted someone who is a better writer and more of a derelict than me to do this. :wink: Tommy fit only half that equation.

I'm actually thinking that the "good" wine would need to be something German or other wines with fairly high residual sugar levels.

Nah, the Thunderbird needs to be served in Riedel to be fully appreciated.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm on it. Seriously.

I've actually contacted someone who is a better writer and more of a derelict than me to do this. :wink: Tommy fit only half that equation.

I'm actually thinking that the "good" wine would need to be something German or other wines with fairly high residual sugar levels.

Don't forget to use the wine clip.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'm on it. Seriously.

Don't forget to use the wine clip.

Damn you, that's what I was going to say!

I'll do this, guys and gals, seriously.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Hell, I'd need a superconducting supermagnet to get any effect on Thunderbird.

:wink:

Maggie does live a stone's throw from Fermilab in Batavia, after all. I imagine for sufficient underwriting, we could arrange to supercharge a bottle like no one's ever seen!

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004