• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

Toast that isn't toasted is not toast.

Word.

The woman is a Goddess.

who suggested otherwise?

'fused, again.

No confusion, Tommy. Just reiteration.

And like hjshorter, the cubano might have sold me on yet another kitchen item I don't really need.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

There's a website, look at the first page.

About the burnt thing... That has as much to do with the thickness of the sandwich as with the darkness setting. If you toast some bread at maximum darkness, it will just be nicely browned, maybe a little black on the edges depending on the type of bread. If you overstuff the sandwich the bag is very close to the heating elements and therefore the bread is more likely to get burned. Also, if you overstuff, the fillings don't get as heated. All these variations are really cool, but the best sandwich I've made so far was the simple ham & cheese. This consisted of a slice of swiss next to each slice of bread and just two slices of ham in between. Everything got all warm & meltly. Mmm.

And yes, if I felt a sandwich was too thick, I've smooshed it down with my hands (while it is in the bag) before toasting. but sometimes you just can't compensate enough for over-stuffed.

As I said, if you use enough butter or olive oil lubrication the burning of the bread is avoided and you can cook everything through. Usually 1 and a half sessions at 3/4 darkness or 1/2 works good for the thicker sandwiches (the montecristo was no slouch), 2 if youve got it drenched in egg wash. When you hear that butter or olive oil sizzle, its done.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Looking to redeem myself from yesterday's semi-burned cubano, I decided to try using a different type of bread and using ample butter lubrication. I am now convinced that like intercourse, ample lubrication is the key to producing good results.

i896.jpg

This is Ham, Swiss, Peperoni and Dilusso Genoa Salami on a "Flagel". A Flagel is a special type of flat bagel that is sold in the NY/NJ area. The outside of the flagel was lubricated with butter to provide protection against burning.

i897.jpg

The Finished Product, after toasting.

i898.jpg

i899.jpg

i900.jpg

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Perlows - have you made any food over the past week outside of the handy-dandy Toaster Bags?? :laugh:

I ordered mine last week - can't wait to get them! :raz:

We have, but we've had so much fun with these things.

Perlows - have you made any food over the past week outside of the handy-dandy Toaster Bags?? :laugh:

I ordered mine last week - can't wait to get them! :raz:

We have, but we've had so much fun with these things.

I told my hubby about these bags and that I ordered a set. His reaction was something like this :blink:

He clearly is not one of us. He needs to be assimilated.

Maybe there's a business opportunity here.  Toasters at every table.  It's the new fondue. 

We actually went to a restaurant in Paris this fall where there were toasters at every table. The house specialty was foie gras and they provided broiche for you to toast tableside to your own liking.

The Ship's chain in LA had toasters at every table and on the counter too. Only for making actually toast tho (the slots were fixed). Of course, all that remains of Ship's is a couple of Jetsons-like Googie signs at La Cienega & Olympic.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I don't have a $7 Target Toaster.

Can I use them in my $200 Cuisinart convection toaster oven?

Don't do it! The plastic on that thing cracks all over if you heat it to anything above luke warm! I returned one and the same thing happened with the replacement.

Do you mean your Cuisinart's plastic casing cracked? Glad we bought the stainless steel model. We haven't had a lick of trouble with it. But, I wouldn't use the toaster bags in them. Wouldn't want cheese to melt down onto the elements.

The toaster experiments have mostly been consumed at lunch time. Recent dinners have included home made turkey meatballs, with tomato sauce and pasta (OK, not home made pasta). Last night was roasted pork tenderloin (pepper/mustard/garlic rub), roasted broccoli (almost as good as roasted cauliflower), and baked potatoes. Is tommy joking (about eating healthier)? Well, there's been butter or oil spread on bread, but on the other hand we haven't been eating out as much and those sandwiches aren't coming with a side of fries. So, actually, we probably are. Although, I'm looking forward to lunch at our local Vietnamese joint soon.

You know, now that I can see the pictures, the bread doesn't look overdone to me.  Nice and toasty. :wub:

Thank You.

the number of egullet members who like burnt bread is currently at 2.

i'm keeping score. :biggrin:

Burnt for me.

My mom burned everyone's toast. If you complained, she told you to go to the sink and "scrape it to your desired level of doneness."

:laugh:

Jamie

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the toaster-at-the-restaurant-table posts. Who knew? :huh:

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I made my first Monte Cristo sandwich because of that picture. :biggrin: I used a lot more egg though, and fried it in a pan.

(I didn't know what a Monte Cristo was prior to this thread.)

Did you dip the pieces in strawberry jam or apple jelly before eating them?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Burnt for me.

My mom burned everyone's toast. If you complained, she told you to go to the sink and "scrape it to your desired level of doneness."

Jamie

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the toaster-at-the-restaurant-table posts. Who knew? :huh:

And I thought my mom was the only one who did this.

Perlows - it seems as if you're cleaning out your pantry trying all these experiments.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

How would a slice of foie do in one of those bags?

I don't think the bag would enjoy it as much as I would.

To date, Jason has refused to put a piece of meat in this. I still think this would be a clever hamburger maker, but unless someone else tries it, I'll be left hanging.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites