• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Toast-N-Serve Magic Bag

Jason Perlow

I must step in and say please, please, please do not ever put bread in the microwave.

I'll have to take exception to this but only for a specific application done i a very particular way. I eat a minimal amount of bread at home (not an Atkins thing - I just never have made many sandwiches at home or consumed much bread). I buy a good earthy multigrain sliced bread and freeze the entire loaf. I'll pull a slice at a time for the occasional piece of morning toast or two for a grilled cheese sandwich. I nuke 'em in the microwave on defrost for about 30 seconds or so just to get the frozen stiffness out. Then they go into the toaster to completion or get pulled out when halfway toasted to hit the skillet for the grilled cheese. Have never had any issues with texture or taste but can't imagine that any other methods of microwaving bread products would have merit. Pizza is the absilute worst when heated in a microwave - what an insult.

Okay, after a disastrous incident this weekend which resulted in the ignominious disposal of some promising grilled cheese sandwiches (complete with Acme sourdough and Niman Ranch bacon!), I just placed an order for these bags. I'll let you know how it goes.

Are magic wraps the same as magic bags? The site seems to only offer the wraps?

The wraps are their "new" product, I haven't recieved samples of those yet.

They are made of the same teflon material, but instead of a bag, they fold over with a snap and open up completely so they can be cleaned easier and can accomodate thicker sandwiches.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 4 weeks later...

Reading this thread has been unbelievably irresistable. Suddenly grilled cheese seems to be something I can eat at every meal, every day. Any word yet on the success factor of the wraps, or are the toaster bags still the best way to go? Phone operators are waiting by for my order.

I've been reading this discussion with interest since i just bought a pannini maker and want to give it a try with sandwiches mentioned here.

I'd also like to ask for suggestions i.e. other interesting ingredientc, etc. - hope it's ok to do it on this thread!

Okay, I've been bad and neglected to reply. I hate making grilled cheese sandwiches because I invariably burn them or burn my fingers when I'm flipping them over or the bread slips or something.

We got our toaster bags and they work great EXCEPT one really has to have one with a variable grate. I had to shove them into our toaster and, yes, they got completely scraped. So now I have an excuse to buy a new toaster.

I've been reading this discussion with interest since i just bought a pannini maker and want to give it a try with sandwiches mentioned here.

I'd also like to ask for suggestions i.e. other interesting ingredientc, etc. - hope it's ok to do it on this thread!

Start a new thread on pannini makers! I don't think I have seen that one. That could get interesting. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a flurry of these for the holidays, and had forgotten that I'd actually tucked away a couple for myself, until this weekend.

I brought them into work today, and just finished making close to a dozen grilled cheese sandwiches for myself and my co-workers. Talk about winning 'cool points'! :cool:

Obviously, we have the el-cheapo toaster too, as it worked like a charm. Hot, toasty sandwiches at work... it's like a whole new world has opened!

Did anyone ever get to play with the wraps?

Funny you should ask, Rachel used the wrap for the first time this morning... pictures will be posted tonight.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Warner was excited to share with us the latest from Toast-N-Serve, the Magic Wrap, so he sent us one a few weeks ago.

I finally tried it today, here are some pictures:

• i3438.jpg
    A big difference between the old bags and the new wraps is in assembling the sandwich.
    You can do it directly on the wrap and avoid handling the buttery bread.
    i3439.jpg
    Buttered Sandwich on open bag, all you have to do now is assemble the bag.
    i3440.jpg
    Fold it over, tuck in the corners and snap the bag closed.
    This is the only part that's a little messy, you have to stick a
    finger inside so you don't smush the sandwich snapping the
    bag closed.
    i3441.jpg
    Closed bag
    i3442.jpg
    Toast the sandwich just like with the old bags
    i3443.jpg
    Careful, it's hot! I use a butter knife to lift it out of the toaster,
    those little slots are very convenient.
    i3445.jpg
    The other big difference between the old bags and the wraps
    is that you can really see the mess on these. That's buttery
    burnt crumbs and the arrow points to some cheese that melted
    into one of the snaps.
    i3446.jpg
    But because it opens up flat, it is very easy to clean. I used a
    brush to get the cheese out of the snap. I can only imagine how
    not clean my older toaster bags are, now that I've gotten one
    really clean. :unsure:
    i3444.jpgMmm, toasty sandwich

• 3 weeks later...

i4135.jpg

Roast Beef with Sharp Sliced Cheddar Cheese and Arby's Horsey Sauce

has anyone in this thread noted the similarity of this product to Toas-tite sandwich presses of the forties? Ken

Kenny, do you use those at the restaurant?

Great pic. I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who takes a few extra Horsey sauce packets.

Horsey sauce rules, dude. And this is from someone who normally hates mayo-based sauces.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Yes, in fact we have 3 or four differnt types. Some with different designs, some with double holders, and some with extra long handles for camp fires. But the original toas-tites had only one configuration, as far as I know; concentric circles and standard length.

Yes, in fact we have 3 or four differnt types. Some with different designs, some with double holders, and some with extra long handles for camp fires.  But the original toas-tites had only one configuration, as far as I know; concentric circles and standard length.

These are used in what, salamanders? Or over a gas flame? Surely not toasters!

I found a few on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...583&category=82

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...93&category=983

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...04&category=983

They are loaded with a sandwich of diminutive filling (my mom used cold pot roast), buttered on both exterior bread sides and placed in the circular iron, which cuts off the extra bread, and put over an open flame. The edges of bread that overlap the iron burn off and the edges seal from the hot pressure of the clamped iron. About 1 minute per side on an already hot iron. What comes out is a perfect double convex circle sealed at the circumference and molten in the center. Also, because of the markings on the iron, the sandwich pocket is decorated with toasted concentric circles. The art of it comes in just the right amount and composition of the filling. Cream cheese is great. It was really popular becaue it not only used up leftovers but because it allowed for a very high ratio of starch to protein. Very economical, not unlike a little meat and alot of rice.

Gee, I wonder if that would work with pound cake and chocolate in the center....