• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free Range Organic Turkey

sieve

so i've ordered a free range organic turkey for the big hoilday. amusing in that there are only two of us, and the smallest available is 14lbs. whatever.

my question is this: are there any appreciable difference in the bird that would need to be accounted for in prep/cooking? is it less fatty? gamier? bigger thighs, smaller breasts? maybe just a little more attitude? any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

Some of it depends on the regulations in your state regarding the sale of poultry. Here, (Iowa) all livestock needs to be processed at a state-inspected and regulated butcher shop or locker plant if it is to be sold. That means the bird is cleaned and ready to go, probably better than the birds you buy frozen at the grocery. Second, the bird may or may not be delivered frozen. That will account for some changes in prep time. You'll find a free-range bird to be much meatier, particularly the breasts. But you can treat it just like any other turkey. Oh, and there won't be one of those little pop up thermometers to tell you when the turkey is cooked.

so i've ordered a free range organic turkey for the big hoilday. amusing in that there are only two of us, and the smallest available is 14lbs. whatever.

Ditto here. It's worth it, though. We've both slow-cooked and standard-cooked them. This year we'll probably deep-fry.

The timing appears to be about the same as a standard turkey, but use your thermometer, of course. Brining is good.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

my question is this: are there any appreciable difference in the bird that would need to be accounted for in prep/cooking? is it less fatty? gamier? bigger thighs, smaller breasts? maybe just a little more attitude? any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

where did u get it from if I may ask?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

"Free range" poultry is a joke. They don't run free and eat natural foods to be gathered up later in a turkey roundup. They are kept in the same digs as all the other birds with a small opening so that they can go outside in a small fenced area if they choose. They almost never choose to. Their price is a ripoff and the differences are negligible.

Martinis don't come from vodka and bacon don't come from turkeys!