• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Uncertainty

Al_Dente

I alawys tend to get the thing I would not make at home - either because of the ingredients or because it is a difficult or imaginative technique or presentation.

Exactly. I have a family friend who always says, "When you go out to eat, why get a burger? You can get a burger at home that'll probably taste better. Try something else."

So when I can't decide, I cross burgers off the list first and go for the "can't make easily at home" item.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On a related note, I've always been amused by the thought that all across Asia there could be American restaurants where diners go in and share platters of cheeseburgers, fried chicken, grilled salmon, tacos, lasagna and pot-roast spinning around on a lazy susan.  Everyone starts with a plate of fries, and then piles the other stuff on top.

There was a sketch on a UK comedy show, where all the comedians are asian a while back which showed a big group of asians going for an 'English'.

They took turns baiting each other to go for the Blandest thing on the menu, and then ordered 30 portions of chips!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Perhaps all of the above for me depending on mood, but more on time and place. My wife and I always order different things, except when we both want the same thing. :biggrin: Every restaurant meal is a different situation and I can't adopt a set of rules for ordering. Either I can't, won't or I'm still learning how to order. If it's the last, I fear eating out will become much more boring if I ever learn. There's a big difference when I'm traveling and know this may be my last shot at this reasturant in a long time, or even a once in a lifetime shot.

Garnishes rarely make a difference between too dishes, they are often the reason I will order a dish.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The whole ex-vegetarian-with-a-mostly-vegetarian-spouse thing drives a lot of my ordering decisions. If I am with my partner I am most likely to choose fish dishes, and then order a starter with some sort of meat in it. This way he can have a taste of my entree, but I can have the "treat" of some meat which I don't eat at home. So we usually both order fish dishes and share tastes...sometimes, but not often, we go 50-50. Usually we both prefer the same dish though which can be annoying, I feel an obligation to order something different so I can sample two things on the menu.

If I am without my partner I order meat or fowl almost every time. This is because I can't eat it at home and try not to eat a lot of it in front of my sweetie. I rarely order chicken (animal tofu) but will usually select duck, lamb, pork or beef. I have eaten very few steaks since I added meat back into my diet and I have only eaten in a steakhouse once.

Price is a secondary factor in my dining choices, mostly because I've already committed to spending the money by the time I am in a seat with a menu before me.

My wife and I have a pact never to order the same thing and the rule goes for Apps, mains and desserts. When we order wine by the glass, the same rule applies; never the same.

As for how we choose, she picks what she wants and then tries to talk me in to her second choices. Sometimes I go along, sometimes not.

I for one can't understand couples who order the SAME thing at restaurants. Why wouldn't you want to try more items?

Last week at Blue Hill, there were two couples dining together at the next table. They all ordered the same lamb entree. Ugh!

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

I don't understand the issue of ordering the same thing. Very often my fiance and I won't discuss what we're ordering and we end up getting the same thing. This bothers my fiance and usually if I order first and he was going to get the same thing, he'll change his order.

I understand trying new things at a new restaurant but if you're just out to grab a bite and you know what you like, or what you're in the mood for, I think it's ok to have the same thing. I know most of you don't go out to eat just for the heck of it but we do, and it's usually because one or both of us have a craving for something, and hey, if we both crave the same thing, so be it.

As for a toss up, I'll usually go with the lighter fare because I tend to have a sensitive stomach. Chicken, fish or pasta are usually top choice. Out of those three, I'd pick pasta first, then fish, then chicken.

When I go out with my family or friends, we all tend to discuss what we're getting, so if I'm trying to decide between two options, I mention it. Often someone else will say, I'll get A if you get B. If no one else is interested in either of my choices, I usually ask the servers what they'd recommend.

In making up my mind what to order, I generally go with things I can't or don't make at home or things I've heard others rave about.

I should have mentioned before that sometimes -- especially when alone -- I will order roast chicken because: 1. it's one of my favorite dishes, and 2. it's such a standard, I find it a good way to judge a place new to me.

When SobaAddict and HWOE and I ate at Annisa, the menu was full of tempting dishes. I ordered the roast chicken, because the sides were intriguing and because I figured it would be incredible (it was :biggrin: ).

If HWOE and I order the same thing, it usually means the menu isn't all that thrilling. :sad:

I should have mentioned before that sometimes -- especially when alone -- I will order roast chicken because: 1. it's one of my favorite dishes, and 2. it's such a standard, I find it a good way to judge a place new to me.

Agreed. Sometimes, you order something as a way of judging the quality of what you might expect in the future. Even in the world of cheap restaurants to go to, they gotta make good fries!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.