• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Puttanesca

Basilgirl

I'm making puttanesca tonight for my newly-coming-back-around-to-olives boyfriend (long story).

I haven't made it in awhile and will probably use Lidia's recipe from her Italian-American book...but I thought I'd ask if anyone had any tips for this rusty puttanesca maker?

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I like to use dried Morrocan style cured olives in my puttanesca. Saute the chili peppers in oil prior to adding the tomatoes for some good heat. Sometimes I add a can of tuna in olive oil if I've got it (the whole idea of this dish being on hand staples in your pantry :smile: ). I also have some strong dried Greek oregano that I toss in on occasion. Even a little grated lemon zest added at the end is a welcome addition.

I may have to make this tonite.

Capers from the Pantelleria - yum! I jealously guard my bag from Lipari.

Btw- does this mean he's gonna get lucky tonite? :biggrin:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

I assume you know the origin and meaning of "puttanesca"; you may not want to give your bf the wrong impression..or maybe you do...

:laugh: He guessed it last night when I asked him if he'd ever had it. :hmmm: I think we'll just call it "As Made by the Ladies of the Evening" from now on.

Saute the anchovies in the EVOO after the pepper flakes and garlic until they turn to a pasty mush and can mix throughout the sauce. I like the black salt cured olives too. LOTS of capers (YUM!), and again, excellent EVOO makes all the difference. Cook your pasta al dente, drain lightly and then toss in with the sauce just until mixed and heated through. Excellent grated cheese atop and a good bottle of chianti or Nebbiolo and you're on your way to a fabulous dinner.

My puttanesca has been known to make a man fall in love. Sometimes with the dish, and sometimes with me, but he's always in love by the time dinner is over... :wink::biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Saute the anchovies in the EVOO after the pepper flakes and garlic until they turn to a pasty mush and can mix throughout the sauce.  I like the black salt cured olives too.  LOTS of capers (YUM!), and again, excellent EVOO makes all the difference.  Cook your pasta al dente, drain lightly and then toss in with the sauce just until mixed and heated through.  Excellent grated cheese atop and a good bottle of chianti or Nebbiolo and you're on your way to a fabulous dinner.

My puttanesca has been known to make a man fall in love.  Sometimes with the dish, and sometimes with me, but he's always in love by the time dinner is over...  :wink::biggrin:

Uh-oh, Katie. I think I'm in love with you now. :shock::laugh::shock:

Saute the anchovies in the EVOO after the pepper flakes and garlic until they turn to a pasty mush and can mix throughout the sauce.

I'm from the school that says: add the pepper flakes at the very end so the heat is more varied with some bites having more heat than others because the pepper flakes retain the heat themselves as opposed to the uniform heat one gets when the pepper flakes are cooked in and give up their heat to the sauce.

--

Saute the anchovies in the EVOO after the pepper flakes and garlic until they turn to a pasty mush and can mix throughout the sauce. I like the black salt cured olives too.  LOTS of capers (YUM!), and again, excellent EVOO makes all the difference.  Cook your pasta al dente, drain lightly and then toss in with the sauce just until mixed and heated through.  Excellent grated cheese atop and a good bottle of chianti or Nebbiolo and you're on your way to a fabulous dinner.

My puttanesca has been known to make a man fall in love.  Sometimes with the dish, and sometimes with me, but he's always in love by the time dinner is over...  :wink::biggrin:

Uh-oh, Katie. I think I'm in love with you now. :shock::laugh::shock:

:blush::laugh::blush:

I forgot to mention. Use really good quality canned tomatoes. I crush them with my hands so they are chunky but of varying sizes. If I'm in a hurry or feeling lazy I'll use the pre-diced tomatoes. It looks too "perfect" and not rustic enough when it's done though. Also, a heartier pasta helps with such a hearty sauce. I like fresh tagliatelle with this.

The first thing I ever cooked for my Evil ex was Pasta Puttanesca. :hmmm:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

You got yourself some good ideas and possible variations here Basilgirl. Something about this dish just... uh... works... if you know what I mean. And as such, it should involve plenty of improvisation, creativity, attention to detail, awareness and sensitivity, an appreciation for all the senses, and a major hit of BADA-BING!

Your only missing detail is what you'll wear for this lovely romantic feast. Well, that and what particular variety of pasta you should use. Both key elements.....

:wub:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I crush them with my hands

So that's what you did with your ex-boyfriends???

There's only a few of them singing in a different register now. The Evil One is unfortunately geographically impossible to crush with my hands. I have however, crushed him with some withering words more than once... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I hate to get back on topic, but: I prefer Italian chili paste to red pepper flakes. It mixes through better, so there are no little sudden jolts later from a seed stuck in the teeth. Then again, we've been together for almost 30 years. :raz:

Something about this dish just... uh... works... if you know what I mean.

Um, I don't presume to know what you mean :blink: , but you're right: this dish works. Every single time. It's my fallback dish for nights when I'm tired, uninspired, or too lazy to buy groceries, because so many of the ingredients are larder stock.

It also has the advantage of speediness, whence it's name. A nice little dish that can be whipped up between tricks.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It also has the advantage of speediness, whence it's name.  A nice little dish that can be whipped up between tricks.

In case a trick shows up unexpectedly, another variation is to serve it at room temperature. I'm not talking about turning into a cold pasta salad; I'm just talking about letting it sit for a half hour until it is room temperature-it's a nice summer dish.

I hate to get back on topic, but: I prefer Italian chili paste to red pepper flakes.  It mixes through better, so there are no little sudden jolts later from a seed stuck in the teeth.  Then again, we've been together for almost 30 years.  :raz:

Suzanne F, where do you get the Italian chili pepper paste? I've been looking for it in local stores (Austin, TX) but haven't been able to find any.

I'm not talking about turning into a cold pasta salad; I'm just talking about letting it sit for a half hour until it is room temperature-it's a nice summer dish.

You're right. It's almost better this way; that mingling of flavors...

Yum.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Pierre Franey suggests an interesting variation -- simply adding small neck clams in the shell. It tastes great and makes a fine visual presentation that enhances the rustic quality of the dish. My favorite version when I can plan ahead.

agree totally with the dry-cured black olive scenario (olives in brine? pah. I spit on them). for me, adding chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley at the end is key. and plenty of garlic to start with. and if you do have to use tinned anchovies, you can fry off the onion in the olive oil they were tinned in.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I hate to get back on topic, but: I prefer Italian chili paste to red pepper flakes.  It mixes through better, so there are no little sudden jolts later from a seed stuck in the teeth.  Then again, we've been together for almost 30 years.  :raz:

Suzanne F, where do you get the Italian chili pepper paste? I've been looking for it in local stores (Austin, TX) but haven't been able to find any.

Here in NYC, I can get it on my local Food Emporium, an overpriced sibling of the A&P. Also in Fairway and Citarella.

The brand is Dal Raccolto. I've seen quite a few other products of theirs -- vinegars and other condiments, mostly -- in the same stores. Maybe if you find anything they put out in your stores, that store can get the "Italian Red Chili Pepper Sauce" for you.

Well, thanks to all for the good suggestions. I used Lidia's recipe instead of my old made-up one. She said to cook the pasta "semi-covered," which I did not. She calls for fussili, to trap the good stuff, but I had none so I just used linguini. She uses cerignola and gaeta olives, I used what I had (from Trader Joe's - called "World's Largest Olives" - I think they're Greek) and kalamatas. (So what is Greek for lady of the evening?) Six cloves of garlic left whole. Percorino. Anyway, it was delicious.

Thanks again. :smile:

(So what is Greek for lady of the evening?) 

Putana. Extremely close, I'd say. But then again, all words have their origin in the Greek language.....

If you can ever get your hands on the La Nicchia brand, you'll be amazed at the extra caper flavor.

Your version sounds fantastic. You've now inspired me to make it tonight.