• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaux Arts Ball

menton1

Just heard about this event, the Beaux Arts Ball Philly, on Saturday Oct. 25, at the Seaplane Hangar at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

A Halloween party, with costumes, and copious amounts of food and drink!

Anybody know if this is a worthwhile event?

Thanks.

Socially,

the event has been one of the 2 primary "see and be seen" events in the Philadelphia area.

The other one would be the Ball on the (Rittenhouse) Square.

Other events have started to emerge prominently; whether or not they will attain the same level of prestige, notoriety, and cache is yet to be seen.

Food wise, you have to pay for food and drink individually I believe, although a $20 voucher will be built into the $75 ticket price. 2-3 drinks/appetizers, and you have to dig in your pocket to bring out some more moolah.

All in all, I'd say not a worthwhile event. It was much better when everything was built into the ticket price.

Henri David's Halloween party in the Wyndham Franklin Plaza would probably be a more worthwhile events although I don't know what the costs are, nor do I know anything about tickets.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

My boss goes to the Beaux Arts every year w/ comp tix-- he's usually not too impressed by the costumes- lots of ppl tend to go in black tie b/c it's easier. Personally I think the Henri David Halloween party usually has some pretty amazing costumes though (I remember a picnic, the Empire States building, Atlas+globe, a plane crash+aftermath, Powerpuff girls, cell phones, the Osbourne family) - tix are something like $15 in advance at his jewelry store @ 1329 Pine.

Halloween

Eat before you go. Probably drink before you go as well.

kt

Beaux Arts Ball is held every year in some "still-under-construction" building. Past venues have included Reading Terminal Train Shed, mall in King of Prussia, etc. A fancy pants party for the young see-and-be-seen set. Fun if you like that sort of thing. I always thought it was for the socialites to slum with the serfs for a day :rolleyes:

Henry David party is a scream. Definitely a more "interesting" crowd than Beaux Arts, with more diversity in socio-economics, sexual orientations, etc. I've seen some pretty awe inspiring costumes there myself. Friends of mine won best "Couples" costume a few years ago. They went as a kitchen table and a milk carton with a "Have you seen...?" face on the side. Costume is difficult to describe, but trust me, it was great!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My boss goes to the Beaux Arts every year w/ comp tix-- he's usually not too impressed by the costumes- lots of ppl tend to go in black tie b/c it's easier. Personally I think the Henri David Halloween party usually has some pretty amazing costumes though (I remember a picnic, the Empire States building, Atlas+globe, a plane crash+aftermath, Powerpuff girls, cell phones, the Osbourne family) - tix are something like $15 in advance at his jewelry store @ 1329 Pine.

Halloween

Eat before you go. Probably drink before you go as well.

kt

so that's a jewelry store?

if it's the place i'm thinking about, there's no sign out front, no visible indication of commerce being conducted inside. happened to look inside randomly one day, noticed some gorgeous interior design showpieces everywhere. it's gotta be the place.

hmm, so that's henri david's place.

i remember seeing he was a giant purple spider approximately 20 feet high.

at the beaux arts, seems to me there's usually about a fifty fifty split between evening wear and costumes.

i remember one costume from 2 years ago of a guy in red and black, sorta devil-type costume, with a face reminiscent of fester from addams family.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Beaux Arts Ball is held every year in some "still-under-construction" building.  Past venues have included Reading Terminal Train Shed, mall in King of Prussia, etc.  A fancy pants party for the young see-and-be-seen set.  Fun if you like that sort of thing.  I always thought it was for the socialites to slum with the serfs for a day  :rolleyes:

sorta.

wouldn't quite say young see and be seen sets. at least not the entire event.

ball on square and beaux arts usually set it up with a full dinner, after which the doors are open to everyone. the more wealthy and prestigious will be at the dinner, and the young hipsters come afterwards.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Henry David party is a scream.  Definitely a more "interesting" crowd than Beaux Arts, with more diversity in socio-economics, sexual orientations, etc.  I've seen some pretty awe inspiring costumes there myself.  Friends of mine won best "Couples" costume a few years ago.  They went as a kitchen table and a milk carton with a "Have you seen...?" face on the side.  Costume is difficult to describe, but trust me, it was great!

yea, always seemed more fun. especially the costumes.

seen enough interesting costumes at beaux arts (been to 2).

david's party's costumes i would expect more of them to just be entirely jaw-dropping though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.