• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sichuan Peppercorn

jhlurie

Actually, Sichuan peppercorns aren't banned any more, as long as they're treated to destroy any possible citrus canker first. (I'm still working off the stash I have from before the ban, so I don't know if there's any difference in flavor!)

Just to follow up on this, I read a note in the Chicago Tribune today that a local Chicago-area purveyor, The Spice House, is now offering sichuan peppercorns:

Three new products at The Spice House . . . will bring aroma and flavor to many dishes. Aromatic Sichuan peppercorns from China, long banned by the USDA for their potential to harm citrus crops (never people), are now available . . .

Off the shelf

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 6 months later...
It would be out of character if I didn't mention that it's a bacterium.  The bacterium is called (this is not a joke) Xac.  And yes, Sichuan peppercorns are in the citrus family.

The ban is on importing the whole peppercorns, so probably buying them on eBay from a domestic seller is legal, although I do like to feel like an outlaw.  Anyone eaten at Grand Sichuan International lately?  Are they still using them?

prolly never illegalized due to lack of domestic citrus industry, though i might be wrong. Maybe Nelson planted a few groves....

jwa

How bizarre - there's still no problem getting these in the UK. Must be our lack of commercial citrus crops. I wonder if they're banned in places like Spain and Israel?

erps this is the post i meant to reply to. I bet spain and israel did ban them once, but maybe they relegalized like US...

jwa

I know possess several pounds of Sichuan peppercorns, but I really don't know what to do with them. For as lengthy as this thread is, it doesn't link to too many recipes that I can find. Any help?

Sichuan peppercorns are heavily used in Sichuan style cooking. Look at any recipe that has the name "ma la" (Ma La Chicken). The "Ma" refers to the numbing sensation from the sichuan peppercorns, and the "La" refers to the hotness of dried red peppers.

I don't cookSichuan dishes too often. Here is my Kung Pao Chicken recipe that uses Sichuan peppercorns.

Pictorial: Kung Pao Chicken, Home Cooking Series 35, 宮爆雞丁

You may also use them in red-braise dishes.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

At last I'm able to get them again. I just ordered from Penzeys spices along with some other spices. The only places I've seen that I could order before now have charged more for shipping than the price of the peppercorns.

• 2 weeks later...

Better asian markets in the US are starting to stock the genuine sichuan peppers again. You may still prefer to find a friend to pack in hand baggage back from Singapore, where its too easy to get top quality and fresh.

The taste profile of the pepper is unique, and has served us well in dishes ranging from a spiced marillen sauce for tea smoked duck to a 'new straits' chocolate pot-de-creme.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if it has already been mentioned on this thread but the sichuan peppercorns packed in oil are simply amazing. They come in a glass jar with a light brown lid, there are a few sesame seeds floating in the oil. They are extremely powerful. I would somtimes feed guests one and watch their reactions, it was a lot of fun. I especially like how water suddenly tastes like salt water after eating one. One of my guests was amazed that I had a spice which recreated the sensation of licking a 9v battery. I keep mine in the refrigerator to maximize potency. I only seem to use them for mapo tofu but I would like to try more dishes with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Made hzrt8w's Ma Po tofu this last weekend with Sichuan Peppercorns.

I was a little unclear about whether to try to divide the seeds from the husks before roasting and grinding, so didn't. While the dish was incredibly tasty, the texture was a bit gritty from the peppercorn seeds.

Any suggestions for avoiding this?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

you need to remove the little black seeds from the husks, those are REALLY gritty even when fine gorund.

How do you usually do that?

I believe I would get annoyed sifting through them with my fingers.

I was thinking maybe a colander with holes larger than the seeds but smaller than the husks?

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I am not an orthodox Sichuan cook. I usually cheat - I just use peppercorn powder. Especially when I only need a small amount. Quite a time saver. :smile:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

The last package of Sichuan peppercorns I opened didn't have the shiny black seeds. Somehow, thew were culled before they were packaged. Unfortunately, I don't have the package to check the brand, as I put the pepper in a glass jar and tossed the package.

But they are out there. Just check the peppercorns before you buy, if you don't want the grit.

BTW -- it didn't alter the potency of the flavor.

• 2 months later...

A local Chinese restaurant offers “Ma La” dishes – pork, shrimp, chicken, and beef. I asked the server if they use Sichuan peppercorns. She smiled and said “No”. I ordered the shrimp anyway. It was pretty tasty, but neither “ma” nor “la”. Bummer.

I have a bag of numbing, mouth-watering Sichuan peppercorns at home, awaiting the conclusion of my current Thai food obsession. I also have my eye on Fuchsia Dunlop’s book (and of course the recipes and tutorials here).

• 2 weeks later...

Not being convinced I had ever really experienced that "ma la" flavor I chucked the old peppercorns and got new (mostly seed free).

A quick batch of ma po tofu with the new peppercorns convinced me, I had never really experienced the "ma la" flavor.

That certainly is a "strange" flavor!

Fun! It dances on your tongue!

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

...Unfortunately, I don't have the package to check the brand, as I put the pepper in a glass jar and tossed the package.

This is why I've adopted the habit if saving the packaging for anything I find that we like. There have been too many times where something has been discontinued at an Asian grocery and we don't know enough to have anyone order it or even for us to find it ourselves online. Now all we have to do is go to any Asian grocery, bring the package, and ask if they will order it. We haven't found anything we didn't receive for the asking. Thank goodness!

I don't know if it has already been mentioned on this thread but the sichuan peppercorns packed in oil are simply amazing. They come in a glass jar with a light brown lid, there are a few sesame seeds floating in the oil. They are extremely powerful. I would somtimes feed guests one and watch their reactions, it was a lot of fun. I especially like how water suddenly tastes like salt water after eating one. One of my guests was amazed that I had a spice which recreated the sensation of licking a 9v battery. I keep mine in the refrigerator to maximize potency. I only seem to use them for mapo tofu but I would like to try more dishes with them.

Now that sounds like fun! I'm going to look for these next time I'm at the asian market. Any idea how they might be labeled? (The dry ones are sometimes labeled "red pepper", which isn't too helpful if you don't know what the sichuan peppercorns actually look like.)

Now that sounds like fun! I'm going to look for these next time I'm at the asian market. Any idea how they might be labeled? (The dry ones are sometimes labeled "red pepper", which isn't too helpful if you don't know what the sichuan peppercorns actually look like.)

Check here:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/05...-tony-bourdain/

and scroll down to the bottom pic in the series.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Yes, can you take a photo of the product packaging and post it here john?

Edited by mudbug (log)

• 3 months later...
I know possess several pounds of Sichuan peppercorns, but I really don't know what to do with them. For as lengthy as this thread is, it doesn't link to too many recipes that I can find. Any help?

Ming Tsai's Szechuan Peppercorn Paste I saw Ming make this on TV a couple of weeks ago, but I forgot what he did with the paste after he made it. I think he put some on salmon and some on chicken. He may have added soy sauce to it.

I bought a 1 oz. jar at Penzeys a couple of months ago - I thought the ban had been lifted. There are almost no seeds in the jar from Penzeys, but I remove what I do find. They are not flavorless, but they are gritty.