• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best hamburger in Philadelphia

R Washburn

Bacon is fine on a burger.  Boursin is fine on a burger.  But for the purposes of Burger Club, they cloud the issue and distract from the burger.  I can accept onion.

It's all about the burger.

Elyse, don't you know that the first rule of Burger Club is not to talk about Burger Club with anyone?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Bacon is fine on a burger.  Boursin is fine on a burger.  But for the purposes of Burger Club, they cloud the issue and distract from the burger.  I can accept onion.

It's all about the burger.

Elyse, don't you know that the first rule of Burger Club is not to talk about Burger Club with anyone?

i was wondering if someone was gonna throw that in.

i expected a more direct quote though.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Wanted to try Rogue's hamburger which people have told me is one of the best in Philadelphia. I agree. An excellent burger. Thick, plumply juicy, top quality meat, outstanding meat to bun ratio. Only burger I've had in a long time that I haven't had to season with salt and/or pepper.

Holly,

Has your opinion changed of the Rouge burger, or are the places outside Center City that much better?

Anyone else have an opinion on the Rouge burger?

Yes and no. The meat is great. But I have grown tired of the trend towards oversized burgers that I can't fit in my mouth and that fall apart as I eat them. I understand they have to make it so big to justify the price tag which fits their menu pricing, and still feel it is a very good. But it is just too big to eat comfortably.

I do know how to spell Rouge now, though.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

As president and CEO of Burger Club, I feel I must interject.  Burger Club does not does not allow toppings that detract from the burger.  Cheese is allowed.  Boursin is not.  Ketchup is allowed.  Parma ham is not.

It's about the burger.

Well I'm getting mustard on my burger (the plain mustard), I don't care what the rules are. And PICKLES. Who eats burgers without pickles for chrissake? And cheese. And a little onion. And maybe some S&P.

Can I have a Burger Club title too? :cool: Like VP in charge of Monkeywrenching or something???

Sherri A. Jackson

As president and CEO of Burger Club, I feel I must interject.  Burger Club does not does not allow toppings that detract from the burger.  Cheese is allowed.  Boursin is not.  Ketchup is allowed.  Parma ham is not.

It's about the burger.

Well I'm getting mustard on my burger (the plain mustard), I don't care what the rules are. And PICKLES. Who eats burgers without pickles for chrissake? And cheese. And a little onion. And maybe some S&P.

Can I have a Burger Club title too? :cool: Like VP in charge of Monkeywrenching or something???

If you're eating mustard and pickles on burgers, you're DEFINITELY VP in charge of monkeywrenching! :biggrin:

If you're eating mustard and pickles on burgers, you're DEFINITELY VP in charge of monkeywrenching! :biggrin:

:laugh::raz::rolleyes:

So are we judging burgers solely on their bugeriness? That would mean absolutely no condiments of any sort, no?

I think we should judge the bergers based on whether they're good when served the way we each like them.

Sherri A. Jackson

I guess I'm a purist. I always cut my burger in half, take a corner bite, and if necessary dunk it in ketchup with each bite. It's kind of hard to tast the burgerieness with layers of flavors on it. If people want to order their burger with boursin, back bacon, tripe, pizza sauce, trotters, pickles, and turkey stew, that's fine, but PLEASE take your first bite plain.

I'm copying this to the other thread. :smile:

hey holly, the "kobe" beef burger at vesuvios costs $11 (i think) and comes with sirachi mayonaise, delicous yellow tomatoes, cilantro, and daikon sprouts, and also some radish and red onion salad on the side, definetly not dry, worth trying but not as good as it sounds...

hey holly, the "kobe" beef burger at vesuvios costs $11 (i think) and comes with sirachi mayonaise, delicous yellow tomatoes, cilantro, and daikon sprouts, and also some radish and red onion salad on the side, definetly not dry, worth trying but not as good as it sounds...

11 dollars? i must be living in an alternate universe, one where a *regular* hamburger costs 12 dollars and kobe beefs runs at about 20 or 40. :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Since they have one of those neon orange liquor licensing signs in the front window, I revisited Roosevelt's at 23rd and Walnut this afternoon for a burger.

There was a "Pardon our remodelling" sign on the front door also. Seems more of a painting/papering project than something major.

Still a great bargain. $2.95 plus fiddy cents for each extra. Billed as 8 oz., you must order a beverage for the deal. Standard includes lettuce, tomato and a diagonal slice of a good pickle. Extras were several cheeses, 'shrooms, onions, chili, BBQ sauce, bacon, peppers perhaps more.

I ordered mine medium rare with fried onions and provelone. (Bleu wasn't an option, else that with bacon and the onions.) Tasty hunk of pink on the inside meat, good kaiser roll, large portions of the extras, good onions. Not as moist as the one I get at Cynwyd Club, but that's members only and $7+. The included flaccid fries were disappointing.

While not worth a road trip, it was good food at a great price. With the previously posted happy hour, it's a bargain drinks and dinner if you find yourself on the west edge of Center City early some evening.

And, most certainly, a good deal for one on a starvin' student budget.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

While not worth a road trip, it was good food at a great price. With the previously posted happy hour, it's a bargain drinks and dinner if you find yourself on the west edge of Center City early some evening.

And, most certainly, a good deal for one on a starvin' student budget.

Yeah, I used to there when i was in Grad school. I stopped going after having TWO roach incidents in successive visits (spaced several months apart, ~1994).

Another great student special was happy hour at Sam Adams with a free taco bar. Of course they spiced the heck out of the taco's to encourage beer sales.

Edited by R Washburn (log)