• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French automobile:

Dear Mr. Graham:

Did I read that you drive or drove a French car? If so do you agree with Daniel Pinkwater (in my certainly incomplete paraphrase of Daniel Pinkwater, anyways) that one doesn't know the true meaning of despair until one HAS a French car?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Dear Priscilla

I do indeed drive a French car, a 1972 Citroen DS-21 (pronounced Déesse, or "Goddess"), which I have been driving for the last 15 years or so. I did go a few years without the DS (It was having a new engine put it and that took about a year) but I am feeling so much better that I am back on the road with a proper car. One never knows when you will break down (it's an adventure) and if you do, you should psychologically prepare yourself for a long ride back in the tow-truck. There was one vintage a few years ago where I basically visited all of my vineyards in a towtruck. That was ignomity. RG.