• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

inexpensive food in new england not seafood

bocaraton

Hello all. I'm headed to Rhode Island for Columbus day weekend and I have no idea where to get some good food thats not too expensive (no more than $16 a person). I'm a college student and i'm visiting my GF at Rogers and Williams so we don't have the biggest budget. We are planning on going to Ptown on Saturday. We've been there once before but all we really ate was a lot easy fast food like sandwiches and a lot of cheese fries. Her and I love that stuff but i'd like to be able to take her to a romantic restaurant where there's actually a waiter to take our order. Only catch is neither her nor I like seafood. The only thing i'll eat is shrimp but that's about it. I'd also like some recommendations on the little fast food places in town too. We were only down there for a day and a half so we didn't get to go to as many places as we would of liked. We might also go to Nantucket so if there are any recommendation for that i'd appreciate it.

I will be arriving Friday night in Providence so if there are any recommendations for friday night dinner in Providence great. On Sunday we're headed to Boston. None of us have any idea where to go or where to eat. We'll be there the whole day so recommendations for lunch and dinner would be great.

On Monday we're headed to Newport. We've also been there once before and we ate at a very nice inexpensive restaurant but unfortunatly not very much on the menu besides seafood (The food we did order was great). Recommendation for lunch would be great.

We're not just looking for fancy. Any kind of recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Hmmm... This is a bit of a tall order. One place that has waitresses and is in your price range is Tips for Topsns, but it is hardly romantic. It does serve some Portuguese dishes that you might find interesting.

At lunchtime, Fanizzi's in the East End has dazzling views of Cape Cod bay and has a number of sandwiches and burgers within your price range. I am less sure about their dinner menu. Perhaps someone else knows.

For dinner, you could try the Mews restaurant, eating in the Cafe. There if you are careful, you can eat within your budget. In fact, if you split a salad and an entree, you will even be able to afford a couple of beers.

Pat G.

Thanks Pat. I've actually been to Fanizzi's for dinner and it's great; the food and the view. I actually talked to my GF and we're able to increase our budget to $20 a person. Any suggestions from any egulleters would be gladly welcome. In fact desperately needed. :sad:

For your fast food querry, I used to work at Mojo's in the center of town. (Ptown.) Their Marquis sammige is wonderful. Shaved steak, seasoning, mushrooms, soy sauce, and cheddar on a Portuguese bun. I crave it all the time. They do a lot of cheese fries, so you've probably eaten there already.

Is Fanizzi's where Pucci's used to be? I don't have any cheap/waiter restaurants for you. Sorry. Great pizza at Spiritus though.

For your Friday night in Providence, I have to suggest Caserta's Pizza - I may have lived in Chicago for the last 4 years but I still say this is some of the best Pizza in the US. They also created the Wimpy Skippy - spinach pie with pepperoni fails to describe it properly. Very casual atmosphere, and also near the city's Italian district, Federal Hill, which should be fun over Columbus day weekend.

If you go to Caserta's, could you mail me some? :)

--adoxograph

Thanks elyse I actually have been to Mojo's.  The cheese fries were delicious.  Where is spiritus?

Spiritus is up by Cook Street I think. I cannot believe I know the street. It's a bit past the center of town, on the opposite side from the bay on Commercial. Everyone knows where it is. It's where everyone goes after last call.

I KNEW you got cheesefries at Mojo's! We used to serve tons of them.

Caserta's can be found at 121 Spruce St. It's also conveniently located near the highway (route 6) so that you can see the giant name on the side of their building, which allows you to miss the exit while reading it.

--adoxograph