• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ctrl. London w/ 5 month old

smidge

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and to London, and I'm hoping you can help me. I'm looking for restaurant recommendations in Central London (or NW London) for my father's 70th birthday dinner. However, I need a restaurant that also:

1. would smile upon having a 5 month old (okay, if not smile, then at least not frown!)

2. is special (either in setting or authenticity of the food)

3. and is appropriately festive

Given that I would be bringing my daughter, I'm obviously not looking for high-end here. We'll eat any kind of cuisine (except, perhaps, macrobiotic). I thought perhaps lunch (or even dim sum) might also be a better option than dinner. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon, thanks for your kind reply. I certainly appreciate it.

I'm sure there must be others who have children and still are able to eat out at nice, but not fancy places? I do realize that taking children/infants to high-end places is frowned upon here ---I already did a search and found that whole thread about 6 year olds in top-of-the-line restaurants and I assure you, that's not what I'm looking for. So please don't dismiss my request.

My father is turing 70 and is coming here from the States for a visit. I need to find a nice place with good food, where I will not lose face in front of my family. The catch, of course, is that I have a 5 month old.

So I would appreciate it if people could let me know where they like to eat out with their children. Something along the lines of New Tayyab would be wonderful. I have been there at 5 p.m. with my child in order to not inconvenience others. I don't want to be banished to the world of TGI Fridays simply because I have a child!

If I were back in Berkeley or NYC, I would certainly know where to go, but unfortunately I am now living in a foreign country. Please, please help me. Again, many thanks in advance for your recommendations.

The dim sum/chinese idea you have is good - we have gone may times to Royal China on Baker Street with friends that have kids (all ages) and has never been a problem, it's really loud in there anyway - make a reservation for dinner (they don't take for dim sum) I always see little babies and toddlers in there.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

I'm not sure how long you have been living here or where, but I really think you shouldn't worry too much about taking your child to restaurants. Other than very formal places in the centre of town there are very few restaurants in London where I would hesitate to take a baby. Lots of people do it, especially in places like Islington, Hampstead, Clapham, Battersea etc....

Another point - often the higher end restaurants with more/better trained staff can be more accomodating of babies and young children.

my immediate thought was bodeans - as they seem to make great provisions for children. there are lots of comments about it on here, but i am not sure it's the type of food you might be looking for.

not having children i don't think i can be any more help :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Thanks! Some other places currently under consideration include:

The Wells

Royal China

ECapital

Memories of China

Lemonia/Halepi

Alounak

I'm looking for some good Korean, if anyone knows of a place! Or somewhere with great ramen a la Menchanko-tei in NYC....

And, if any of the above seem inappropriate for an infant, do let me know!

I went to Royal China ( Canary Wharf) with my colleagues last week. A young couple came in with their baby and the staff were practically fighting with each other over who would be allowed to walk around with the baby, whilst they ate. :rolleyes:

Hi, I am also new to this site but I live in London and might know a place or two. One (but it is not in central London), does the best pizzaz in London, is very festive (the waiters will come and sing happy birthday) and is very, very child friendly. Not only the pizzas are good but aldo the pasta and the starters, the portions are huge and the prices are very reasonable. The place is quite busy everyday especially on weekends but phone them up for a booking It is called Pappagone and it is on 131 Stroud Green Road near Finsbury Park (Picadilly line). Tel: 0207 2632114

Another one I know that do good pizzas (but only good pizzas, I would't recommend the rest) is Pulcinella in Soho, 37 Old Compton Street. It is child friendly also but not as big as Pappagone and not as festive.

If you want Indian or Bangladeshi food, go to Brick Lane (east end, but not far from central London, try Liverpool Street tube), they also are child friendly and there is one in particular that I like, it is called Aladin, and they have lovely food at very good prices.

I can't think of anyother restaurants, but to be sure try Italian restaurants (with Italians working there) or Turkish, they love children.

the egullet UK Digest has just posted Jay Rayner's review of Gordon Ramsay's Boxwood Cafe saying (a) it's great and (b) they love kids. that might work? (sorry, I don't know how to post a link to the thread).

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Smidge - if you like middle Eastern food, you're onto something (I see Alounak is on your list - I believe that's Iranian) - there are always kids at Maroush (Lebanese, there are several branches) - particularly the one on Edgware Road, and Yas (sp?) which is also Iranian, it's in the nether regions of High Street Ken.

If you want something a bit more upscale, but well-priced - 'modern european' - nothing pretentious but very good wonderful service and an excellent wine list, I'd say Ransome's Dock. There are always kids there during the day so I don't think they'd mind in the evening either. But they are not open for Sunday dinner (not sure when you are planning to go).

I may be in the minority here but I don't like Halepi or Lemonia, I've been to both twice and I think the service is appalling and the portions, miserly for the price. The atmosphere has been chaotic at both places, I don't remember what it was like to be five months old, but these places made me want to throw a tantrum.

However - I kind of agree with Janice - with a five month old, I don't think you should have to be concerned - he/she isn't mobile, can't make a fuss about the food, etc - it's toddlers who seem much more difficult.

smidge, for Korean I have tried Jin (with Korean friends) and everyone was very happy with the food and service, it's on Bateman Street, near Liberty's...

Bapi, at Baker Street Royal China they'll even take your child to the loo if they ask!

Maria Pia, you prefer Pappagone to La Porchetta next door? And what do you know, between you and me, it seems we have brought the Mexican count in London to 2!!!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Maria Pia, you prefer Pappagone to La Porchetta next door? And what do you know, between you and me, it seems we have brought the Mexican count in London to 2!!!

:biggrin: Hola Sandra, yo tambien soy de Mexico, vives en Londres? I'll write in English for everybody...

We used to go to la Porchetta, we went there for a long time but it started to decrease in quality at one time (I am sure it was only for a little while because there is always a queue), then one Neapolitan waiter we liked left so we tried Pappagone when they opened next door and we really liked it, we go there at least once a month, they always treat us like family and the pizzas are always good, and so the rest of the food whenever we fancy something else.

And I just remembered that Pulcinella in Soho doesn't have children's seats, they are child friendly because they are friendly to children but do not have many facilities.

hmmm...maybe we could plan something... let me have a think... I wonder if there would be a lot of interest?

I think there would be, so think carefully before you get yourself into something ! I know at least three people from this board who would definitely be interested...start another thread to gage level of interest & also solicit suggestions, I think there are other people who have organised 'hands-on' cooking get-togethers...they may have some ideas.

Sandra, did you get the PM, i think there was an "error" but I still don't know how to use it...

Anyway I am in too, on whatever it includes Mexican food, just let me know and I can cook something too, although I am new to cooking Mexican food, it usually tastes good the very first time, you know "suerte de principiantes".

Maria, I got the PM y te conteste! I'll send it again...

Everyone...I'm seriously considering this now... I have room for about 10 sit down, more if we we do it cocktail style....

I'll start a new thread when I have have fully thought it through and can post some options...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Definitely interested. I travel to Mexico on business and Melissa, a transplanted Texan, has been there often...we miss Mexican food in London.

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."