• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

International Food Market like the one that use to

johnkfretz

ok, i did some quick research.

they opened a place in North Bergen on Tonnelle (at least i *think* it's open). their website, while outdated, suggests that the one on route 59 is the same place as well. and they're opening a store in Linden.

the JC store went downhill so badly that i stopped going. i hope that's not an indication of how well they're maintaining these other stores.

Edited by tommy (log)

There is a very large International Food Warehouse on Route 17N in (guessing) Maywood a few miles below Route 4/17 interchange.

yeah, i never recommend that place. they don't carry much asain food, and they have very little in the way of interesting produce and meats. if you want really shitty cheap clothes, you can go to that place, as they have a k-mart type store attached to it.

Terminology:

Foodmart International is the name of a group of stores that includes the now-defunct Jersey City store, the one in Tonnelle Plaza in North Bergen, and the one in Spring Valley. The information on the company's site is not up to date, but here it is: http://foodmartinternational.com/ And this is the site for Tonnelle Plaza: http://www.hartzmountain.com/retail/pages/...nnellepage.html

International Food Warehouse is not related, though the concept is similar. It is an arm of National Wholesale Liquidators, and shares space with that operation at least at the Lodi store which is the one I've been to. Here's the site: http://www.nationalwholesaleliquidators.co...food_test_1.htm

What you'll find at all these stores is a diverse selection of international foodstuffs and related merchandise, and in some subcategories you'll find impressive depth. But if you want, for example, Korean stuff, you'll do a whole lot better at Hanahreum. And I don't think these stores are what they once were. When Foodmart International opened in Jersey City it had breadth, depth, and quality. In the end it had only breadth. And the newer stores have never recaptured the greatness of the old place.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The one in JC took a nosedive to the point the place was so gross that I'm surprised they ever passed health inspections. Towards the end, the Chinese and Filipino sections were nothing special and even my Filipina wife switched to Shoprite.

International Food Warehouse is not related, though the concept is similar. It is an arm of National Wholesale Liquidators, and shares space with that operation at least at the Lodi store which is the one I've been to. Here's the site: http://www.nationalwholesaleliquidators.co...food_test_1.htm

I read a rave review of Int'l Food Warehouse and was looking forward to visiting it. But then I also read that they carried a lot of outdated food so I decided to check out the food at my local National Wholesale Liquidators (same company, btw why is one "National" and the other's "International"? :wacko: )

The first three food items I checked at random in National Wholesale Liquidators were outdated, although other items were not. (Isn't selling outdated food illegal?)

Suffice it to say, my enthusiasm about visiting Int'l Food Warehouse was dampened.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.