• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip to Italy 101

tommy

as far as electricity goes, if we're doing 4 star hotels, do we need to worry about buying an adapter?

Depends what for. Yes, they'll have hair dryers (not particularly effective ones, but they'll do). They will probably have adapters on site but you'll have to call room service for one right away before someone else gets it. Even if you bring an adapter, it seems like there are so many different plugs that you might not have the right size. The key thing is if you are an electric razor guy, be careful. Only use the specific earmarked outlet in the bathroom. Otherwise you could blow the razor. As far as computers go, if there isn't an appropriate outlet in the room, they probably have some sort of business/conference room downstairs where you can powerup.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

as far as electricity goes, if we're doing 4 star hotels, do we need to worry about buying an adapter?

For what appliance ? Laptop/Hairdryer/Electric shaver should have 110~220V 50~60H built-in. To be on the safe side get a universal plug from Sharper-Image or look around port.com.

I thought you'll were in .IT by now ?

anil

as hollywood says, every time i bring an adapter, it doesn't freakin work for whatever reason (i've never paid that much attention at that point to figure out why).

i think hairdryer is the only real need. i buzz my nose and ear hair before i leave. mrs. tommy is rather particular about her hairdryers, though, and too many times those hotel thingies blow. (he, errr, hehe).

anil, does the sharper image product work just about anywhere?

thanks again to all.

Tommy, i would definitely get rid of the car at florence. I took the train from florence to rome. It was the Eurostar reserved 1st class(not really sure about the cost, it was greater than 50 and less than 90) took 1 and a half hours in comfort. You don't need the car in Florence, and like others said, unless you're making side trips to Tuscany, or stopping on the way to Rome, you don't need it. If you are going to take sidetrips into Tuscany than by all means keep the car. I would definitely reccomend this. While i was there, some of my favorite times were in small towns in Tuscany...i mean i can only look at sooo many pictures of baby jesus :wink: With the adaptor problems, i had with me an adaptor that has around 5 different types of plugs, and worked great for all my electric needs. I think it's from radioshack, but i'll check the brand name for you. I have to tell you, Siena was one of my favorite places during the trip, and if you only do a day there, it's worth it. If you looked at those pictures i sent you, there's 3 of my brother, my buddy, and myself on top of the Duomo in Siena. It was great climbing to the top and looking out over all of Sienna.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

thanks poots.

we've decided to take the train from florence to rome. we have the option of keeping the car in florence, of course, if we want to take day trips out into tuscany. to me, that sounds logical, although it might not make sense to people who've done it.

i'll check radio shack for the multi-adapter thingie.

I'm on to your little game, Hollywood!  That Washington Post link re: Milan would have what, exactly, to do with food?

Um, er, ah.... Wasn't there a reference to a Dijon-mustard coat? How about the "special occasion dressing"? And, wait a minute, what about the "zigzag patterns"? I'm getting the munchies just thinking about this.

I'm on to your little game, Hollywood!  That Washington Post link re: Milan would have what, exactly, to do with food?

Obviously you didn't read it closely enough:

designer Donatella Versace took her catwalk bows wearing low-rise trousers that clung to her body like a casing on a sausage.

:laugh::raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

designer Donatella Versace took her catwalk bows wearing low-rise trousers that clung to her body like a casing on a sausage.

:laugh::raz:

I'll bet that casing has S*N*A*P*

Of course, I innocently thought the article was about [red] snapper.

could we get back to electricity and traveling through italy please?  :unsure:  :raz:

Our one source of energy

Electricity

All we need to live today

A gift for man to throw away

The chance to change has nearly gone

The alternative is only one

The final source of energy

Solar electricity

Meanwhile in the South of Italy....

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather

Whiplash girlchild in the dark

Clubs and bells, your servant, don't forsake him

Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm not sure that I am going to order up any of that Donatella Versace sausage...

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are.

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755 - 1826), The Physiology of Taste, 1825.