• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local gal needing recommendations

sextons

Hope no one minds a repetitive topic - but I'd rather use the space here than take up more of Tom Sietsma's precious space on his Wednesday chat. Anyway, Virginia gal here being incredibly indecisive about where to go for an anniversary. Hubby and I are both in the industry, know the hot spots, and have been trying to expand our DC restaurant experience. While I'm a religious reader of Tom's chats I feel completely overwhelmed about where to go. Early October, Tuesday night, looking to spend $150 all inclusive. Won't drink more than 1 bottle of wine and maybe an after dinner drink because we have to drive home. So, I'm thinking I either want French or Italian (ashamed to admit it but I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to good Italian food). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Might be pushing it the price a bit (their wine list is very short on reasonable wine IMO), but I'm extremely partial to Marcel's, on Pennsylvania Avenue and 25th.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

$150 isn't set in stone - I'd be willing to push $200. Figuring around $50 per person just for food.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Pastramionrye gave you really good advice. I'd pick Obelisk first, though. $200 will give you a very warm memory. I'm not a big fan of 2941 nor Marcel's but I do like Tosca. Obelisk is just more intimate with about 40 or so seats. If you want to push it just a bit more you could do Maestro for their three course $76 prix fixe (couple of amuse tastes), reasonably priced wine @35-40 and, with tax and tip, get out for about $235-240. Under $200 stay with Obelisk.

Nectar! Absolutely, great place for an anniversary, fits in your budget and you'll have a wonderful time. Much more intimate atmosphere than 2941, and a bit nicer than Obelisk. The staff will treat you well, the wine list is fabulous, you won't feel rushed. Not sure what to call the food tho--French or Italian? Maybe more New American, but still very worth considering.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Nectar! Absolutely, great place for an anniversary, fits in your budget and you'll have a wonderful time. Much more intimate atmosphere than 2941, and a bit nicer than Obelisk.  The staff will treat you well, the wine list is fabulous, you won't feel rushed. Not sure what to call the food tho--French or Italian? Maybe more New American, but still very worth considering.

I would absolutely love to try Nectar. I've heard nothing but good reviews. I think my husband was looking for something a bit more classic, but I might just see if I can persuade him into trying Nectar . . . . :rolleyes:

I just read the review of Maestro and I soooo want to try it! Unfortunately I can see it being one of those places I would get carried away in and blow my budget! I will definitely keep it in mind for the future though.

Thanks to everyone who has posted recommendations so far! I definitely feel assured receiving them from this group!

I would absolutely love to try Nectar.  I've heard nothing but good reviews.  I think my husband was looking for something a bit more classic, but I might just see if I can persuade him into trying Nectar . . . .

I'm not quite sure what you mean by classic (Classic Washington, like Kinkeads? Ugh)--but Nectar is not a 'scene,' nor is it what some might call "overly adventurous" or trying too hard. It's not as large as many of the DC standards (i.e. Clydes, Kindkeads, DC Coast) but if you like to hear each other speak, that's a good thing. Anyways, good luck with your man. :raz:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Another vote for Obelisk. If you knew Quilty's in NYC (Katy Sparks was the chef), that's Obelisk in DC. :wub:

And even though I sound like a broken record, Nora or Asia Nora (yeah, I know you didn't mention Asian-inflected, but I just love both her places).

Sorry - should've been clearer: To narrow down our selection we were looking at an Italian or French restaurant - classic in the sense of the cuisine (we were initially trying to avoid fusion as we've had so much of that lately). I just had Nectar fax me a menu and have already picked out my entire meal should we decide to go there!

Edited by sextons (log)