• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

traditional vs. healthy, part II

kpurvis

Also on the healthful issue, here in Charlotte, N.C., where I live, many of the large churches now have formalized food service staffs. Instead of potlucks, they have chefs that provide food for church events. It's certainly healthier, but also less exciting as an expression of community identity (at least, from my selfish perspective as a food writer). How widespread do you think this is becoming? And do you see it changing the foods we find connected with churches?

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Hi Kpurvis,

I know exactly what you mean. I cringe every time I see one of those steam tables at some church function. I yearn for the old days; with Mama and Aunt Agnes and my sister Helen cooking for days for church events, and the food was homey and fingerlickin' good.

But times have changed. In the past 75 years we African-Americans have moved in overwhelming numbers from rural outposts to urban centers. Our lives are busy and complex. Don't have time to cook for those church dinners like we did years ago. Too bad. But the church moves on and so does the food. And sometimes it is very good.