• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things Better Frozen

Stone

Mmmmmm, frozen snicker's bars. They come in boxes of six which I dare not buy because I can eat them all in one sitting. (I don't like regular snicker's. Go figure.)

You're talking about the ice cream Snicker's bars? Those are surprisingly good and taste surprisingly like real snickers.

here in hawaii when the lychees are overwhelming you from your tree...we peel them and throw them in the freezer.  eating them is like eating sorbet!  with a lot less work.  same principle as the frozen grapes.  i can say the same about our mangoes as well.

Peeled and sliced peaches or nectarines are also very tasty frozen.

On the candy front, Heath Bars, Uno Bars (both mentioned), and Peppermint Patties are also good frozen.

I cast another vote for Thin Mints, definitely. Oh, and peanut butter cookies! :wub:

Mmmmmm, frozen snicker's bars. They come in boxes of six which I dare not buy because I can eat them all in one sitting. (I don't like regular snicker's. Go figure.)

You're talking about the ice cream Snicker's bars? Those are surprisingly good and taste surprisingly like real snickers.

Yes, the ice cream snickers. They're wonderful. I'm not a big fan of caramel, but somehow when it's frozen it's completely different. But now I'll have to freeze a regular snicker's bar and see what that's like. Oh goody, a science experiment, I can hardly wait. :laugh:

Today I tried Pop-Tarts chilled.

They have recently been running several print ads and splashes on some packaging touting them as a cold summer snack when placed in the freezer for 20 minutes.

I obtained the newest flavor, Hot Fudge Sundae, threw it in the freezer for about 25 minutes and then sampled.

It was interesting...at first the texture of the filling was quite off-putting - it was quite resistant and almost chewy. As it continued to approach room temperature the texture didn't seem as odd (or else I became accustomed to it)...but either way, it was actually quite good.

I'm not sure if the results were optimal because of this particular new flavor which may have been launched with their "try them chilled" campaign in mind...but I could see preferring them this way.

I'd encourage you to check out the results of any flavor if you happen to be the Pop-Tarts type.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Yes, the ice cream snickers. They're wonderful. I'm not a big fan of caramel, but somehow when it's frozen it's completely different. But now I'll have to freeze a regular snicker's bar and see what that's like. Oh goody, a science experiment, I can hardly wait.  :laugh:

so cakewalk, are you suggesting that the ice cream snickers are better frozen? just want to make sure we're all on the same page here. :biggrin:

Yes, the ice cream snickers. They're wonderful. I'm not a big fan of caramel, but somehow when it's frozen it's completely different. But now I'll have to freeze a regular snicker's bar and see what that's like. Oh goody, a science experiment, I can hardly wait.  :laugh:

so cakewalk, are you suggesting that the ice cream snickers are better frozen? just want to make sure we're all on the same page here. :biggrin:

ah, tommy, I should have known better than to try and put anything past you. :wink:

So I have a regular snickers bar hanging out in the freezer. Oh the things eGullet makes one do. :wacko: