• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Terrine Topic

MatthewB

I think bacon goes with everything, but it wouldn't solve my problem. Unlike the Le Crueset terrine, mine isn't solid. It's like the one pictured a few posts up - it comes apart, and is not waterproof. If you pour water into it, it comes right out the sides. And last I checked, bacon, though delicious, wasn't much of a water barrier either.

I ended up taking Mottmott's advice and using tin foil (I've done cheesecakes like this before.) It's in the oven now. Cross your fingers and hope it comes out - if not, my father is going to be very unhappy that I ruined some of the venison from the first deer he killed in 9 years!

Just curious, though - what have others used for the plastic wrap? I did call GFS and they'd never heard of heatproof plastic wrap. Is it commonly available out in the real world? Or are the Saran guys lying, and Saran wrap heats just fine?

Edited by abadoozy (log)

I think bacon goes with everything, but it wouldn't solve my problem. Unlike the Le Crueset terrine, mine isn't solid. It's like the one pictured a few posts up - it comes apart, and is not waterproof. If you pour water into it, it comes right out the sides. And last I checked, bacon, though delicious, wasn't much of a water barrier either.

I ended up taking Mottmott's advice and using tin foil (I've done cheesecakes like this before.) It's in the oven now. Cross your fingers and hope it comes out - if not, my father is going to be very unhappy that I ruined some of the venison from the first deer he killed in 9 years!

Just curious, though - what have others used for the plastic wrap? I did call GFS and they'd never heard of heatproof plastic wrap. Is it commonly available out in the real world? Or are the Saran guys lying, and Saran wrap heats just fine?

Lordy,fingers crossed.

It's not the season in the northeast, but I have made a veggie terrine a few times using a recipe I saw on TV, mostly just layered roasted peppers, and grilled zucchini and eggplant layered and pressed, then served with a pepper sauce. It was very tasty and colorful, but only the pressing held it together, so it did tend to fall apart a bit. I think if I were doing it for a party, I'd line the terrine with chard leaves to form a shell for it. I also tried a vegetable terrine in Daniel Boulud's first cookbook and have never been tempted to do it again.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Good luck with the venison. I ended up doing a smaller version of the terrine using cling film in multiple layers - which is a trick from an English chef. I'll unmold it tomorrow and let you know what happened.

gallery_8259_153_15394.jpg

This was really a bugger to do. It felt more ike pastry than cooking. Next time I'm going to take half an hour to really sharpen my food processor blade. Spending all of that time trying to get the rabbit farce through the tamis was a nightmare. Also, the butcher refused to slice the back fat for me, so I had to cut it by hand, which was a pain in the arse. In the end I was in a rush to leave the house, so had no elaborate garnishes prepared. Still, it made for a good lunch.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Not very practiced at this -- this is a adaptation of a pork Terrine but I subbed turkey with a good dose of bacon. No egg or liver for a binder, used sweated leeks. Some French friends said it was just like grandma's. Were they just being polite?

What do you think - you terrine mavens?

gallery_38003_2183_65772.jpg

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Abadoozy, I had thought your concern was sticking, not waterproofing..lol! The foil should work if it's all in one piece and well secured to the terrine. Good luck ;-).

Nice looking terrines, folks!

Actually, I'm sure I have heard of people using plastic wrap in the oven -- which is awfully brave. I want to say it was dear Julia Child in some of her books.

Tell more about "multiple layers of plastic wrap learned from a chef friend." Did you divide up the terrine into smaller pates within the same terrine mold by using plastic wrap to create divisions?

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Bumping because I'd still like to hear about the dividing the terrine with plastic. And, didn't somebody above promise to let us see pix of a cut terrine? (I'm thinking of attempting a terrine today for a Saturday party.)

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Another question: How long will an unmolded, uncut terrine keep? How much difference in keeping time does sealing the top with fat achieve? If I marinate the meat for a terrine today, assemble and bake tomorrow, and keep refrigerated, will a terrine keep until Christmas? Do they freeze?

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

The platic wrap -I got this from Marcus Wareing (not personally, I think it was on the telly), who also notes it in the new A Cook's Book. Anyway, I layered three layers of plastic wrap, then another 3 layers slightly overlapping. I lightly oiled the terrine, slid the plastic wrap in and flattened it against the sides. I then filled it with the mixture, folded the excess over the top, wrapped the whole thing in a long length of silver foil, and then placed it in a bain marie half-filled with water. When it had reached approx 150F, I removed it, let it sit for 15 mins, and then used a bit of card as a lid and weighed it down over night with a couple of cans. Generally, it worked as advertised. It made the terrine very easy to remove next day - easier than the one I had made without plastic wrap. I understood that it was safe to use up to temperatures of approx 350F.

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

More questions:

How long will an unmolded, uncut terrine keep?

How much difference in keeping time does sealing the top with fat achieve?

If I marinate the meat for a terrine today, assemble and bake tomorrow, and keep refrigerated, will a terrine keep until Christmas? Do they freeze?

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Has anyone tried making any of the terrines in this month's Gourmet magazine? I tried making the duck terrine with glazed shallots- the first one I ever made. Wish I'd taken pics, but I only saw this thread today.

It came out beautifully, just like the picture. But it seemed a little dry, and the flavor wasn't as wonderful as I had hoped. The recipe doesn't call for liver- maybe that's what I was missing.

Also, it said to bake it for 2 hours, or until the internal temp reached 165 F. After 1 3/4 hours, we tested the temp and it seemed way hotter, almost 200F. I wonder if it overcooked, and that's why it was dry.

Had I seen Bleudauvergne's photos upthread, I would have blanched and peeled the pistachios rather than just mixing them in straight.

Anyway, we ate most of it the first day. Then, a few days later, I spied a leftover hunk in the fridge and devoured it- and you know what? It tasted better!

Does anyone know whether terrines need to age a few days to bring out their flavor? Seems like maybe they do...

Edited by scottie (log)

More questions:

How long will an unmolded, uncut terrine keep?

How much difference in keeping time does sealing the top with fat achieve?

If I marinate the meat for a terrine today, assemble and bake tomorrow, and keep refrigerated, will a terrine keep until Christmas? Do they freeze?

I'm sorry, Lori, I don't know the answers to any of these questions. But I can guess...

I think that sealing the top with fat will help the terrine keep at least twice as long. Like confit, which can keep for a month or longer.

I would not recommend freezing- I think that would screw with the texture, and texture is already so vital to this endeavor.

Seeing that Christmas is in ten days, I would go ahead and make the terrine, then seal it with fat- I would eat it ten days later. It should have a very well developed flavor by then, as well.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Anyway, we ate most of it the first day. Then, a few days later, I spied a leftover hunk in the fridge and devoured it- and you know what? It tasted better!

Does anyone know whether terrines need to age a few days to bring out their flavor? Seems like maybe they do...

Scottie: I agree, flavor improves with time. Terrines take a little practice - and your technique will improve with time.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I took my terrines out at 155F. Next time I'll probably go down to 150. Remember it keeps cooking out of the oven.

Flickr Food

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a terrine baking right now. I took pix of the process, but I'm not too confident I can get them here -- I suffer from ETI -- Extreme Technology Idiocy.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have a terrine baking right now.  I took pix of the process, but I'm not too confident I can get them here -- I suffer from ETI -- Extreme Technology Idiocy.

gallery_31100_2205_119274.jpg

Ingredients -- I'm using a modification of a recipe in Barbara Kafka's Party Food called Pork-Pistachio Pate. I'm adding a strip of cooked fresh ham which had been coated with an herb paste, a line of parsley leaves (idea borrowed from Lucy), and a strip of raw boneless pork rib meat marinated in white wine with thyme, etc. Kafka recommends cooking pates and terrines in the microwave, but I want to try the "regular" way before branching out.

gallery_31100_2205_265383.jpg

gallery_31100_2205_806612.jpg

gallery_31100_2205_407018.jpg

gallery_31100_2205_97036.jpg

gallery_31100_2205_305337.jpg

Edited to add explanation

Edited by Lori in PA (log)

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

I need suggestions. I'm considering doing a light shellfish/asparagus terrine as a cold starter for Christmas. Never made a terrine before (but have made pates). Does anyone have any ideas about where I might find a good idiot proof recipe that fits that description? It doesn't have to contain asparagus - just something light and fishy.

Also - is it possible to make terrines in a multi-tiered steamer? Anyone tried this?

The Kafka book I mentioned above has a couple of nice sounding seafood mousses/terrines/pates. I'd think it would be lovely with asparagus spears running through it.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

LORI IN PA:

Are we going to see the results of our labor? I hope so.

I'm trying to leave it alone, which isn't easy. I did saute a small amount of the forcemeat and put it on a chilled plate before I proceeded this morning. When it was completely cool I tasted it and thought it was good. I'm resting on that comfort for now. As we speak, Mr. Terrine is reposing in the fridge under a load of three quart jars of homemade applesauce. I want to serve this Saturday evening at a Christmas party I'm attending. I think I'll unmold, slice, and arrange it at home -- I suspect I may want privacy for the moment of truth.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Did I mention (oh, it shows in the photos) I made two terrines at once yesterday morning? I only cooked one yesterday, as I only have one roasting pan. The second is cooking now. I tried to think of some variation of technique to test, but didn't really. It only occurred to me AFTER they were assembled that I should have done one without lining the terrine with fat, to see if that made any real difference. I guess I will have the change of one being cooked immediately after assembly and one marinating a day in its raw state before being cooked, which was a direction I saw in several recipes. Unfortunately, I'll be tasting them so many days apart that it'll take a striking difference in flavor for me to detect it, I expect.

I'm wondering about the fat lining. I went to the only "good" meat market in the area -- 30 miles away and talked to the most experienced butcher, a very nice and helpful older man. He knew what caul was, but said the only way I could get it would be to get one from someone doing his own butchering. I asked if he had any unsmoked, unsalted hunks of fat I could get sliced thin to substitute. He asked me to wait a few minutes while he went to see what he could find. He returned with a butcher paper of a single layer of about 1/4" thick slices of fat, most around 2" x 4". He wouldn't charge me for it, which was kind. I hope they work.

~ Lori in PA

- Julia Child

Wow, this all looks excellent! The weighing down is important. Use a nice sharp knife when you do slice it, Lori, the results are much better. About how long a terrine stores, if you make a terrine today or tomorrow, weigh it for a day and leave it covered in the fridge, on Christmas it will be just wonderful. I'd say that a terrine will last unsliced for at least 2-3 weeks. My policy is to let a terrine sit for five days to a week before cutting it. Remember terrines are listed in the old time cookbooks as a means of preserving meats, they'll keep. Don't forget your salt.

Lori, your idea of keeping a little of the forcemeat on the side is one I always follow, too. I like to stuff veggies with it the day I actually cook the terrine.

For weighing down, I use a piece of cardboard which I have covered with foil cut slightly smaller than the top of the terrine, to give it a chance to sink as much as possible. On top, I place inverted ramekins or cups, or anything that will allow the board top to sink down as much as possible and then balance a stack of big books on top. I manually push it down pretty hard with even pressure all over, and let the juices seep over the edge into another container. I pour off the juices from time to time, and leave it for about 4 hours to cool and press before placing it in the fridge for 5 days to a week (removing the books before chilling).

Details to illustrate how much it should be pressed down:

Before going into the oven it was slightly mounded above the top of the terrine.

gallery_15176_15_25468.jpg

Here is a photo of it ready to slice. Note that the top now is significantly lower than the top edge of the recipient.

gallery_15176_15_20300.jpg

An image of this final Terrine des Deux Lapins (wild and farm raised), which was served during my last foodblog.

gallery_15176_15_78016.jpg