• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine-tasting nightmare

badthings

I was so excited at the chance to taste the wines of Edmonds St. John that I got a reservation for a special tasting dinner at my not-most-favorite restaurant.

Imagine the desperation and rage that washed over me when I got the first glass, a '96 viognier that I could never afford, even if it were available to buy, and realized that I had absolutely no palate. Some kind of infernal sinus infection had totally destroyed my sense of smell. All I could detect about the wines were acid/sugar, and mouthfeel.

The mouthfeel of that viognier, by the way, was spectacular. Small consolation. Then there was the typically sluggish service, which prevented me from making the best of a bad situation, but that's another story, for the California board.

It was horrible.

You can see what you -- and I -- missed here.