• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: NeroW - You asked for it.

NeroW

Maggie--

Four-inch heels?! :shock::wub:

I wore very low heels to the wedding on Saturday. Lately, when I actually get to *take my clogs off*, my feet seem strange, and for some reason, I feel guilty looking at them--like neglected pets I once loved, but no longer have time for. :sad:

Saturday, August 17:

One very bad cup of coffee at a diner. I put cream in it, which doesn't happen unless the coffee is extraordinarily bad--which this was.

One runny-ass egg.

A few bites of "American fries," no ketchup. I've been having mixed feelings about ketchup for the past few weeks.

One half of one piece of wheat toast with "fruit spread."

One piece of bacon.

2 of these weird little parsley-seed oil capsules that promise "fresh breath for hours!" They really work. Seriously. And they only cost a quarter! They erased the evil-coffee taste from my mouth.

2 cups of REAL coffee when I got home.

A bowl of Mac 'n Cheese while looking at eG.

A few sips of my friend's homebrew--a Stout (indifferent) and a red Ale, which was damn tasty.

Dinner was eggplant parm (my mom's fiance makes the best), and for those who don't like eggplants, there was spaghetti with an all-day simmered tomato sauce, containing big-ass pieces of pork, sauteed shrooms, etc. Garlicky bread. Salad.

I've been *blah* about salad lately.

And an indeterminate amount of white wine. Lindemans Chard. I think over the course of the evening, 8-10 glasses is a safe estimate.

And another JD with the Boy. On the rocks.

Noise is music. All else is food.

One piece of bacon.

:blink::unsure::sad:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The joint stories remind me of the realtor convention scene in American Beauty.  I pity the next blogger.

Nero - what post explains your sig?

It was during Wednesday's tapas with my mother and her friends.

Somehow we got on the topic of dental care.

I'm afraid that coffee, like alcohol, will forever more be relegated to the realm of Things That I Don't Get.

Thankfully I can approximate coffee conoisseurship (sp) through tea, one of the Things That I DO Get.

Oh well, all is not lost. Nero....5 cups?!?!? :unsure:

Carry on,

Soba

Whassa Car Bomb?

I don't want to think about it, but tanabutler is mostly right--only it's not a cocktail, per se, it's more of a shot. You drop a shot-glass full of either whisky (in the case of an Irish Car Bomb) or Bailey's into a half-pint of Guinness, and then drink it fastfastfast, before it "curdles."

New to this, but: One teenie, tiny correction - that should read PINT of guiness, and not HALF-PINT. :raz:

Wonderful blog BTW... :)

Edit: spelling - only i could bugger up two sentences...

Edited by grill-it (log)

If "illegal drugs" count as something to include in a Foodblog, I smoked a joint, too, with a few of my mom's friends, behind the lodge where the reception was. 

:blink::laugh::laugh:

That cracked me up.

Really, though. How do you consume all that mind-bending stuff and still stand up??

After 4 glasses of wine I start to see double. But that's my 40+ year old body complaining about the abuse I heap upon it.

You have a drinking problem. You are drinking way too much crappy wine. If you drank better wine you could probably increase consumption by 10 to 15%.

I had a friend once who claimed the buzz was better from great wine. He also claimed the hangovers were lesser. He also used to drink Corton Charlemagne right out of the bottle. Sometimes he would just finish the bottle pouring it in a long stream down his throat. He has since dissappeared. I think he is out with your mom's friends as he was in that line of work.

Enjoy the ride.

You have a drinking problem. You are drinking way too much crappy wine. If you drank better wine you could probably increase consumption by 10 to 15%.

i drink less *wine* when i'm drinking better wine. no doubt about it. otherwise i just dump it down my throat, hoping to avoid my mouth.

Edited by tommy (log)

i drink less *wine* when i'm drinking better wine. no doubt about it. otherwise i just dump it down my throat, hoping to avoid my mouth.

I've always noticed that really good bottles go down so much slower when you open them at parties. :hmmm:

I've always noticed that really good bottles go down so much slower when you open them at parties. :hmmm:

umm, do you mean "faster"? if so, yes, i've noticed that too. i usually put out, in plain view, average wine for the people who don't care what they drink. those who do care have to do a little extra leg work. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

maybe you just mean that you whine less when you're drinking good wine? :smile:

nero, i can understand the weed.  i can even forgive the bud light.  but the chardonnay is simply unacceptable.  :angry:

I was worried you would say that about the wine. Actually, I thought about it.

Craig Camp, I would love to drink better wine! Send me some.

Lamb, mass consumption runs in my family. We are hearty, strong-backed Scandinavians, who like nothing more than a joint of meat, raucous conversations at table, and drink after a long day of work. You ought to see some of my uncles, or my sister, Fritz Brenner. They make me look like a wuss. :blink:

Seriously--please keep in mind that this blog was written over a "holiday" week for me. Family in town, the wedding of my oldest friend, etc. I *do not* normally behave in this manner. Also, these items were consumed over 24-hour periods. If I crammed all that into, say, 2 hours, I'd be worried.

And probably dead.

As an example of a more "normal" intake, and as my last post, here is yesterday.

Monday, August 18:

2 cups coffee

1 sesame-seed bagel with cream cheese

Baking 101: 1 slice white pan-bread, 1 white dinner roll, 2 slices of my baguette (came out great) with thick slatherings of Brie lifted from the dairy coolers. :rolleyes:

1 peanut-butter cookie

A bowl of couscous and red-lentil soup that my roommate made. I must teach her about salt. I threw some peanuts in the bowl for crunch. :blink:

Midnight snack: Breton Wheat Crackers with homemade roasted-garlic hummous.

See? NO Mountain Dew. NO booze. NO dope. ONLY 2 cups of coffee. NO Chardonnay.

And now, I pass this on to Soba.

Thanks everyone.

I was worried you would say that about the wine.  Actually, I thought about it.

Craig Camp, I would love to drink better wine!  Send me some.

read a book. *the* book. this book. :smile:

Thanks, tommy, I will.

Except for me it's a money issue, and with the money I spend on that book . . . I could buy wine.

Thanks, tommy, I will.

Except for me it's a money issue, and with the money I spend on that book . . . I could buy wine.

it's 11 bucks. that's barely a bottle of wine. and after you read it, you'll be saving a *lot* more money because you won't be buying shit wine.

when is your birthday?