• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What about Saturday night?

slacker

Please gastrophiles, ideas for the Castle Dore Rowing Club barbecue. And no salami jokes, please.

Ribeye steak, caramelised onions, horseradish, ciabatta - fine and dandy,

but how can I enliven the sausages in finger-rolls, or hotdogs as we mistakenly call them? Aplle chutney? Gingerbread? :wink: Or even apple chutney? Sage and tomato salsa?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

but how can I enliven the sausages in finger-rolls, or hotdogs as we mistakenly call them? Aplle chutney? Gingerbread? :wink:  Or even apple chutney? Sage and tomato salsa?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea of whether we are discussing sausages or hot dogs. What are "finger-rolls"?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thank you. Sausages are to be cooked on a charcoal barbecue, and stuffed in bread rolls of approximately the same length. But how to mke them more interesting?

In this little corner of the world, we call this a hotdog.

I'm struck that a less seedy topic heading might attract more useful advice.........

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Thank you. Sausages are to be cooked on a charcoal barbecue, and stuffed in bread rolls of approximately the same length. But how to mke them more interesting?

In this little corner of the world, we call this a hotdog.

I'm struck that a less seedy topic heading might attract more useful advice.........

If you want to make it really interesting, you could serve them with ketchup and mustard, and let the ketchup-lovers and ketchup-haters duke it out in your backyard as entertainment.

Well, you make a braised chopped fennel and onion "marmelade".

But what kind of sausages? German? Italian? Mexican? Spanish? Portugese? English?

Pork? Beef? Lamb? Venison? Rabbit? Turkey? Liver?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

i like the idea of a sweet and sourish sauerkraut tho.

I make a sweet/sour kraut too - it is kraut, brown sugar, mustard & pickle relish, simmered. Great on any type of pig product sausage.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

you could probably fold that right in witht he sausage (or frankfurter) inside the dough. provided the kraut isn't too wet.

oh wait - disregard..sounds like your talking about a plain old hotdog, now that i'm reaidng. for some reason, finger roll made me think pigs in blankets with cocktail weenies.

my prefered hot dog toppings are a line of ketchup on one side, a line of spicy mustard on the other, and sweet relish in between. :D

however, the kraut recipe above would make a great topping - especially instead of the sweet relish in between.

Edited by tryska (log)

Alas all is lost, except onion marmalade is done (for rib-eye ciabatta). Poor old Hugo did his back in on Thursday night, so I've got to work all Sat. and prepare nothing. Cabbagey thingy sounds excellent, and will try this another time.

It's AWFULLY hot in Cornwall today. Must go and but ice-cream.

Thanks for the help, egulleteers. xx

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall