• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint in the Big City

Varmint

Except that elyse forgot the starter and Jason forgot his camera :angry: , it was a delight!

We had many of the same dishes from the New Year's dinner(*), and a few different (Dumpling can supply the correct names):

Almond-coated Fried Shrimp*

Watercress and shrimp dumpling

Chicken dumpling -- although by mistake some had shrimp in them as well; vegetable dumplings for those who needed

Seafood stuffed beggar's purses in soup* (plus one vegetarian version)

Peking duck, served in steamed bread instead of pancakes*

Steamed lobster with egg white and shredded dried scallop*

Vegetables in sauce, with rice, for the non-meat, non-seafood eaters

Stir-fried steak, in a black-pepper sauce

Stir-fried lobster with turnip cake in XO sauce*

Eight precious crispy chicken stuffed with sticky rice*

Braised long-life noodles*

Pastries and fruit*

Elyse's Pecan Pie, mmm pie

Attendees:

Varmint and Mrs. Dr. Varmint (Marcella)

Mrs. Dr. Varmint's friend from high school, Paige

Dumpling

Blondie

MHesse

jeunefilleparis

Jason and Rachel

elyse

sherriebabee

Suzanne F and HWOE

It was another blast! Lots of fun, lots of laughs, lots of talk, some gossip about the not-so-dear departed. :hmmm: We got the report on Varmint's dinner at Babbo last night (yummmmm; the regular tasting, not the pasta) and gelato at Otto ("Now, how ARE you supposed to pronounce it?" he asked. :unsure: ). We learned that in the Varmints' part of NC, the pie is pee-KAHN; a PEE-can is what you wee-wee into, although in other parts of the south that IS the acceptable pronunciation, and in other places it's PEE-kahn or pee-CAN. Whichever, the Varmints agreed that elyse's was very, very good.

As noted, Jason forgot his camera, but Varmint had his, and got shots of just about every dish -- some before serving, some individual portions. It will be a few days until he can post them, though, so cool your jets.

Tonight they're going to Blue Hill. We'll all have to wait for the report until they get home. :sad:

All of you going down for Varmint's pig picking, you are lucky, lucky people; what great folks the Varmints are! :biggrin:

Herbacidal: :shock::shock::shock::sad::sad: Just listen for the LOUDEST group next time!

Actually, it wasn't as much as it sounds. Very small portions. Except for those who took doubles because other people didn't or couldn't or wouldn't eat theirs. :wink:

Don't worry, tommy, the only thing anyone said about you is that you're the same in person as you are online. :raz: Or maybe you should worry.

On the walk home, HWOE and I ran into Varmint, Mrs. Dr. V, and Paige, and I am proud to say that they did NOT behave like tourists: they crossed the street against a DON'T WALK sign!! (Well, Paige lives here now)

They'll be walking all over creation for a few hours. I think they'll be able to handle it.

Another great time. I got there late after a horrible bike ride downtown, so missed some of the action. But the food was wonderful except for that fucking piece of shrimp they snuck into my dumpling. :angry::angry::angry: If I knew where the bathrooms were, I would have run. As it was, I did the adult thing and swallowed it with my fruit shake thing followed by a few slugs of soy sauce. All was well, and the rest of the food was fab and plentiful.

I should have made a bigger pie.

herb, you're lying, arent you?

I just love meeting you people!

Edited by elyse (log)

SuzanneF seems to have said it all. I'd just like to add my thanks to Dumpling for organizing, and to Elyse for bringing the pie. I could only manage a taste after all that food, but it was every bit as good as reported.

I think the Varmints have an inkling now of what they've gotten themselves into now, and I hope they're not too freaked out :wink:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

By the by, herb, you totally suck.

And I'm going to send more pie down with someone going to the pickin. And pao de queijo too.

NOW, since I forgot the starter like a dorkus, Rachel may pick some up at Bloomfield next week or whenever. dumpling, would you like some too? Maybe meeting her somewhere around her place would be better? (Must remember to check that with Rachel). :biggrin:

And sherri, I can meet you somewhere in the city. Burger day?

Here I sit at my desk, as the saying says, "Read it and weep..."

623.gif

Sounds like you all had a great time. I am so sorry I missed it, but barring unforeseen automobile or other expensive crises du jour, I'll be there next time!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I too hope Herb was lying. How late would he have had to arrive to not look behind a wall?

Elyse - Of course Dumpling can pick up her starter at my house. Except I wasn't sure if we'd be going to Bloomfield this week. When is the last week? I hope you made arrangements with Blondie to bring down the pie & PdQ, because we're leaving on our drive on Monday the 6th and stopping at various places before going to Raleigh on Thursday. I don't think the pie would last nearly a week in our car (it's not the heat, it's the Perlows).

Jane - thanks ever so for planning, we had a great time. Better even than at the New Years Dinner there ages ago, more funner table. :wink:

Varmint & Jason - HAPPY BIRTHDAYS!

Yes, where were my manners? THANK YOU, DUMPLING for pulling it together.

Believe it or not, HWOE and I just got back from, um, eating dinner. :rolleyes: Well, we actually split one dinner (app, entree, dessert) between the 2 of us. See, tommy, I told you it wasn't too big a meal! :laugh:

And Herb, you do NOT suck. You're just too shy.

Rachel, I was saying IF you were to come to the market this week, I could bring it. And you're away when? It's refrigerated at the moment, and will keep in there for when you want it. The last day is October 30th.

I'll look for someone going down to take the goods.

DUMPLING THANK YOU!

JASON AND DEAN HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Not much to add, but I can reiterate.

Thanks, Jane for making the event come off in Fine style.

Happy Birthday to Dean and Jason.

Great to have met or re-met other eGulleters.

Our subgroup not only ignored red lights, but eschewed the very crowed sidewalks in favor of the street during our search for powdered green tea.

Portions were the proper size to keep going through the entire menu. Still, I have not yet regained any appetite despite walking quite a ways uptown before descending to the subway.

Sorry your carma was off for this event, Katie.

I think Herb must be funning us. If not, the joke was on him, since we were there till 3:30.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Hey everyone. Just really got back in. Had stopped home briefly. Then went out again and had sushi with friends and picked up garlic from those who went to the garlic festival. Thank you garlic people! Sorry you couldn't come to the lunch.

Food coma is right. Man, I can eat with the best of them and I got to the last dish and just couldn't finish my noodles. And then I saw the extra egg white lobster go bye-bye, you know I had to be full to let any lobster be taken off the table.

I'm glad everyone had a good time. Herb, sorry you didn't come in. Elyse, glad you survived the posisoning. Marcella, you're a sport. Dean and Jason - Happy Birthday and I hope we helped make it good for you. Paige-hope we weren't too crazy for you; we have to go cruising for veggie dinners in Chinatown. It was good to see everyone.

"Chicken say cheese!"

It was great to finally have proper Chinese food, i so rarely eat Chinese and I m glad that I got to sample all the ones I ve missed over the years!

IT was so nice to finally but faces to screen names ( i think that Paige and Ms Varmint thought we were nuts by referring to people via screen name because " I just cant remember your real name"

I walked as fast as I could tearing through the streets of china town to get to Jefferson for work and I barely made it on time!

Elyse, the pie was the highlight for me:)

I Hope to see you all again soon at another get together! Can we just have a dessert party?

Lauren :biggrin:

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I just got back to North Cackalacky, and I wanted to thank y'all for being such great hosts. Extra thanks to dumpling for putting all of this together. I'm going to decompress for awhile before I give my hick from the sticks report. It'll be a couple of days, however, particularly for the photos. I do have elyse's express permission to post one photo of her, but I'm wondering how I could use it (a very nice photo, indeed) for extortion purposes!

Anyhow, we had lots of fun in the big city, but we're happy to be back home.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites