• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

I use 1 oz agricole, 1/2 oz Smith & Cross, 1/2 oz El Dorado 12, 1 oz lime, 1/2 oz Cointreau and 1/2 oz orgeat. If I have company who aren't of the extra special variety, I use equal parts Appleton 12 and El Dorado 12. Agricole and Smith & Cross are hard to come by where I live so I'm a bit stingy with them but honestly, until I got my hands on them, the Appleton/ED version was my go to and I still really enjoy it.

Edit: the reason for the S&C/ED12 blend is that's the Atomic Grog site's recommended sub for the Kohala Bay dark rum used in many original Mai Kai recipes. I realize it's not the original rum for the Trader Vic Mai Tai but I decided to give it a try and it tastes good in the drink. :D

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

I use 1 oz agricole, 1/2 oz Smith & Cross, 1/2 oz El Dorado 12, 1 oz lime, 1/2 oz Cointreau and 1/2 oz orgeat. If I have company who aren't of the extra special variety, I use equal parts Appleton 12 and El Dorado 12. Agricole and Smith & Cross are hard to come by where I live so I'm a bit stingy with them but honestly, until I got my hands on them, the Appleton/ED version was my go to and I still really enjoy it.