• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating during a creative dry spell

fresco

Cooks, like writers, go through periods when the creative juices just don't flow. One option, of course, is to say the hell with it and just go out. But if you're the one who puts the meals on the table 24/7, what are the fallback dishes in your repertoire for those days when you're just too distracted or burned out to be inventive?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

When in doubt, I make up some dal and spiced basmati rice - both easy and tasty, but leaving room for whatever strikes me at the time.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Don't know about specific recipes, but there are specific motions I go through, while 'Thinking on my feet'.

Quite often my housemates find me chopping onions and Garlic, and say 'What you cooking', and I say 'I Don't know yet!'.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Quite often my housemates find me chopping onions and Garlic, and say 'What you cooking', and I say 'I Don't know yet!'.

Ah yes, carry water, chop vegetables. Meditate.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

My "I absolutely can't bring myself to make anything more elaborate" meal is a can of Goya black bean soup with diced sauteed onions and garlic, a half can of diced tomatoes, Cholula hot sauce served over Minute Rice with Garilc Salt and Butter. (I know, I know, but the rice is a memory from childhood that I just can't shake.)

Bill Russell

Pasta Putannesca, heavy on the anchovies and capers.

And shoot me, but I like grated parm atop.

I think this is one of the few fish recipes where it is not taboo to grate some cheese over it. I mean, you're certainly not going to be obscuring any delicate flavors!

Personally, though, I like pecorino rather than parmigiano with this one.

--

Personally, though, I like pecorino rather than parmigiano with this one.

You're right, pecorino would be better; I just happen to have parm on hand on a more regular basis.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Of course, adding grated cheese to a dish with anchovies, capers and olives is a bit like saying "have a little salt with your salt" -- but that's probably why I like it.

mmmmmmm... salt.

--

Gohan (Japanese rice), miso shiru with silken tofu and baby spinach, takuan and gari pickles.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I tell my husband it's his turn to cook.

:shock:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tuna salad with chopped pickles

Hot Dogs

Soft-shelled crabs

Burgers with tomato and lettuce

Pasta Salad

Grilled Corn

Conch Fritters

Deep Fried Squid

It's gonna be a long, long dry spell! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."