• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Eats Bay Area?

jschyun

I have been doing a lot of "research" on this topic and I was hoping to get some additional suggestions to my pitifully short list of good cheap restaurants in the Bay Area. When I say cheap, I mean entrees of less than $10. Also, I go with my boyfriend who can't eat spicy food.

I got sick and tired of paying $100's for a meal that sucks. I'm thinking Sent Sovi, French Laundry, and those of that ilk. I would still go to some expensive restaurants (Boulevard) because they offer a decent value for their food, I think. But frankly, is a meal that is 10-50 times more expensive going to be 10-50 times better? Not necessarily.

1. Chow: I love the gingerbread cake with ice cream and I think caramel sauce. It's really good and pretty cheap. I don't like most of the entrees; not because they're bad but this place can charge less because they keep their portions small. The exceptions are the grilled items like the half chicken and pork chop. Those come with a huge mound of mashed potatoes and veggies and seem like a good value at $9.50.

2. Ton Kiang: Dim sum can be cheap or expensive depending on your appetite. It's pretty cheap for me, because I only eat my favorites. I like the shrimp dumpling. If you know of another cheaper, better dim sum place, for the love of God reply to this post.

3. Mehak: Great lunch buffet for $6.99. On Dwight and Sacramento in Berkeley. The butter chicken is the best, but I usually eat the vegetarian stuff. The buffet is very small (about 10 dishes) but it's just so damn good, we keep eating there. Also, the food is mild enough for BF but tastes damn good to me and I prefer loading up on the chilies.

The big exception to the cheap rule

1. House of Prime Rib: This restaurant is contributing to the expanding waistlines of Americans and I just don't care. I love their prime rib and it is a great value. I am normally not a meat-eater, but damn, it's good. Comes with a ton of salad, fresh sourdough bread (also some cornbread sticks if you dine around 7pm), yorkshire pudding, mashed potato and creamed spinach (skip the spinach and get double potatoes). $25 for the regular size portion and $28 for the "King Arthur" one.

Suggestions are appreciated because I've tried the SF Chronicle guide and their cheap eats section isn't that great. Instead I comb their 100 Best section and cull out only the cheapest ones.

Rereading this post, I realized I said the words "damn" and "good" a lot. Hmm...

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

For dim sum, I personally like Y. Ben House on Pacific Ave. above Stockton St. Their shrimp dumpling (I assume you mean "har gow") is the equal of Ton Kiang's, and cheaper. They seem to do anything with seafood well. If you're with a companion or two, add the seafood chow fun as an "anchor" dish. It's heavenly, and you'll still be able to keep the tab under $10 pp easily.

Non-spicy definitely narrows your options in the Bay Area.

The entrees at Rick and Ann's in Berkeley are around $10 (maybe closer to $12.) The portions are huge, you could split one. It's a nice neighborhood cafe, across from the Claremont on Domingo Street. They specialize in comfort food-Macaroni and Cheese, Meatloaf, that sort of thing. They make a great burger, too. They always have a fish special, and it is usually quite good.

Another splurge for those special occasions when you want to spend more money is upstairs at Chez Panisse. They have a 3 course prix fixe meal for about $25./person.

Another Ton Kiang fan here, but clearly my appetite is larger than yours :smile: because we always spend a LOT more than that there. I also like their shrimp dumplings, but my favorite are the greens and black mushroom dumplings.

Most of the taquerias will serve non-spicey food, just ask for mild or no salsa.

In Berkeley, the Sun Hong Kong on Shattuck near University has a nice menu of rice plates and noodle dishes for about $5. They're open late too, which is a big plus for me. There's a restaurant by the same name (more or less) on Broadway in SF, but I haven't been there so I don't know if the menu's the same.

Le Cheval in Oakland offers fare similar to the vaunted Slanted Door, but at half the price. Entrees run $7-9. There's an off-shoot (I think) called Le Petit Cheval in Berkeley on Bowditch and Bancroft that has a great 3 items and rice for $5. It's buffet-steam table stuff, but good. They also have a cook to order menu.

Tuk Tuk Thai has the cheapest prices I've seen at a Thai place and the food is really good. It's on Shattuck near Haste, maybe further south. I misplaced my menu so I don't have exact figures, but I remember the entrees being a dollar or two less than most Thai places.

Ediot: Add Mifune's in Japantown to the list. It's upstairs on the west building near the bookstore.

Burma Superstar on Clement and 4th.

Edited by gknl (log)

Oh man, I really appreciate your responses. Now I have a bunch of new leads to check out!

Y. Ben House sounds awesome. I have to go. I just have to go.

Rick and Ann's, I had heard about them, but dismissed them as a diner. I'm not into diner food, but then I didn't realize they had mac & cheese. What was I thinking. Gonna check it out.

I've been to the Chez Panisse cafe and I remember spending a lot more than $25 a person. But then their portions are pretty small. I eat a lot for a little person. Still, I agree that for the quality of the food, the cafe isn't a bad deal. I wouldn't say it's a great deal, but it ain't bad.

El Cumbre is too spicy believe it or not. :sad: In fact, most Mexican food, unless it is specifically gringoized food, can't be eaten by bf. If I go to those places, I just go with my friends. When we first started going out, I made the mistake of thinking this little Indian place I liked was not that spicy. Actually, it really isn't. He agreed after a couple of bites that it wasn't that spicy. Then after the meal, he couldn't get up and couldn't talk and just laid in the car with his eyes closed. He couldn't get up until I got him some ice cream. I've never seen anybody have such a reaction to spicy food, unless of course, it was because they were too full.

L'Osteria Del Forno: I went there a while ago. If I remember correctly, it was for a focaccia sandwich and was not impressed with the really dried out bread, uninspired filling. Maybe it was an off day and I should give it a second try. I always see this restaurant on the bay area bargain restaurant list.

I used to love Sun Hong Kong in Berkeley. I would save up my after-tuition pennies and splurge on a beef green onions and ginger over rice plate. Back then, I think it was more like $4 for the rice plates. Oh man, I miss that place. I took my friend there and he said it was crap, and I told him it was good and cheap crap.

Le Petit Cheval (Berkeley): 3 items and rice is a very good deal for $5. Damn.

Tuk Tuk Thai(Berkeley): usually Thai is too spicy but we've had good luck asking them to put no chilies in a dish and they do it. I had been going to a couple of places in North Berkeley (on the same block as Chez Panisse but I always forget the names). They're expensive but there's this place called (something like) "The Thai House" off of Telegraph and I believe Channing. That place had a pretty decent lunch menu, great for students.

I've been to Mifune's and it was pretty good for noodles and such, but the portions at Japanese restaurants are usually too small for me. Have you been to Takara? They are supposed to have some good sushi and rice dishes and "Most items come with an appetizer, soup, a delicious savory custard, pickles and dessert." (sfgate/food)

I live in Orange County now, and if you ever come down here, we have this great Japanese joint called "Tenko Teriyaki House". It's in Irvine, run by Chinese, employing Mexican cooks. It's always packed. You can get the sashimi plate at dinner for $10.99. Comes with 3 pieces each of tuna, yellowtail, salmon, 2 pieces of albacore, whitefish, surf clam, octopus. That's from memory, they might have more. Also, we like the one item combo with, for example, a big portion of chicken teriyaki, $6.25, including salad, soup, rice. Also, free drink refills, oh yeah and free rice refills. The sushi is about as good as any you can get around here, except for the really high end places (Wasabi). Frankly, I shouldn't say this, because it's already too damn busy. I usually go at 5 on a Sunday evening and there are fewer people there.

--NeroW

No spicy food? Maybe it would be easier to get a new bf... just kidding!

Here are some of my favorites in the Avenues:

Q (Clement/4th Ave.) -- Get your booty in there as soon as possible for great mac & cheese, fish tacos, fried chicken, you name it. Huge portions and something for everyone. Fun & funky atmosphere.

Bella (3rd Ave/Geary) -- All the pastas are homemade, and are in the $10 range. Great service and a romantic trattoria feel.

Cajun Pacific (Irving/27th Ave.) --Yeah, it's cajun food, but not necessarily spicy. Get the gulf shrimp po' boy (as good or better than in New Orleans, about $6). Ass-kicking bread pudding too. Yum.

Happy eating!

Try Pacific Catch in the Marina.

Truly Mediterranean has great shwarma -- 16th and Valencia.

Sunflower has great Vienamese food with entrees for under $10 -- 16th and Valencia (two locations, straddling the corner).

Tu Lan -- also great Vietnamese food in the filthiest part of the city - 6th and Market.

L'Osteria Del Forno: I went there a while ago.  If I remember correctly, it was for a focaccia sandwich and was not impressed with the really dried out bread, uninspired filling.  Maybe it was an off day and I should give it a second try.  I always see this restaurant on the bay area bargain restaurant list.

Try the pasta or the daily roast meet.

beachfan

You know, I was just thinking about this. I can't really remember what the problem was with El Cumbre. I assumed it was the spice level but I'll have to ask.

I saw on that show $40 a day that you can get a 3 course meal from I think it was called Le Metro Cafe or something like that for $12.50 if you arrive before 6:30. Has anyone had the food here?

Q (Clement/4th Ave.) Huge portions? Fried chicken? Mac & Cheese? You just described my idea of heaven.

Bella (3rd Ave/Geary) -- How can a place that sells homemade pasta for $10 a serving survive? I mean that's great. Portions?

Cajun Pacific (Irving/27th Ave.) I only eat bread pudding if it's the ass-kicking kind.

Pacific Catch in the Marina: Hmm, under $10 for seafood...at the Marina. That I have to see

Sunflower 16th and Valencia: What do you suggest here?

Tu Lan -- That food must be reeeeally good :-)

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW