• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falafel, tricks in making

Hello everybody, I'm new hear and looking for some help. My problem is that I want to open a small falafel business in Puerto Rico and I'm try to make them at home but so far I've had problems. I got aprox. 20 recipies from internet and books and they all change a little. I'm sure that is just a matter of taste but my problem is that when I fry them, they crumble apart and it is frustraiting! I talked to a friend yesterday, he is Lebaneese. He told me that I can't use canned chickpeas and faba beans becouse they are to soft. I have to buy drie beans and soak them in water and they will have more consistency. Also, I have to put bread crums and potato (that is what his mother does). The recepies I have read change a lot and they don't all have potato nor bread. I fried them in olive oil and corn oil and It was hot enough, I'm sure. Could you pleas help me???

Also, Is there anyone here that has opened a falafel business somewere were people aren't familiar with it/ how was your experince?

Finally, if anybody could give me any recomendations in this business I would be very thankful. thankyou very much and hope to here from you!!!!

Xavier Sancho

Israeli felafel stands, at least the really good ones, offer a lot of topping choices for the sandwiches in a form of a salad bar -- besides lettuce, tomato, cucumber they frequently have different kinds of eggplant dips, hummus, tahini, spicy salads, tabbouleh, chile peppers, etc. Stuffing your felafel full of these things is part of the allure of these places.

As to the beans.. you definitely have to use dried beans and rehydrate. In Egypt they use a combination of fava and chickpeas (garbanzo) and in Israel almost exclusively chickpeas. Theres a LOT of recipes for felafel because there are many regional variations. Every country in the middle east and the mediterranean has them, including Greece.

Shapes of the felafel also differ. In israel they are balls or small round patties, I've also seen them quennele or football shaped. The smaller the felafel, the crunchier it will be. I've also had felafels in Israel that do fall apart to some extent, those which have a lot of herbal content, that were very good. Some vendors even break the felafel apart when they are putting it into the pita bread.

Theres also the issue of what kind of bread to use. Do you use the pocket pita, or do you use shepherds bread (kind of like a big tortilla)? Lebanese and Yemenite style uses the tortilla-style and they make wraps out of them. Theres also several types of pocket pitas, some are softer than others. I really like the Syrian kind.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

As to the beans.. you definitely have to use dried beans and rehydrate. In Egypt they use a combination of fava and chickpeas (garbanzo) and in Israel almost exclusively chickpeas.

I disagree, dried beans may produce better falafel but you can certainly make good falafel using canned beans (though I only make chickpea based falafel).

How about the falafel recepies that don't have bread, nor potato nor bulgar wheat? Can anybody tell me if they had problems frying them(they fell apart)? If you can help me with the other questions I would really apreciate it! I'm very eager to start my business and I love falafel (tastes great and is healthy) but I'm worried about the cultural factor. Any latinamericans here who can give their opinion? In Puerto Rico people eat chicken and beef and rice and beans. If they don't have meat in their meall they feel like they're not eating a full meal (this is generalizing, of course). I'm a semi vegitarian and don't eat meat and don't miss it at all. Hope to hear from you!!!!

Xavier Sancho

How about the falafel recepies that don't have bread, nor potato nor bulgar wheat? Can anybody tell me if they had problems frying them(they fell apart)? If you can help me with the other questions I would really apreciate it! I'm very eager to start my business and I love falafel (tastes great and is healthy) but I'm worried about the cultural factor. Any latinamericans here who can give their opinion? In Puerto Rico people eat chicken and beef and rice and beans. If they don't have meat in their meall they feel like they're not eating a full meal (this is generalizing, of course). I'm a semi vegitarian and don't eat meat and don't miss it at all. Hope to hear from you!!!!

Xavier Sancho

I've never used bread/potato/bulgar wheat when making falafel. You shouldn't need anything other than an egg to get them to stay together when your frying them.

Xavier Sancho

If you are going to have felafel and have the fixins for it, you might as well offer 1 or 2 types of kebabs. Or perhaps some kind of meat pie that you can deep fry, since you will definitely require a deep fryer to make the felafels.

Kibbe is a type of meat pie from Lebanon made with various grains that is made into torpedo or football shapes and then deep fried.

In Israel a lot of felafel vendors also offer Schnitzel which is usually a fried chicken or veal cutlet that is breaded, and is stuffed into pita bread with salad and hummus.

Here are some more recipes of common israeli foods, many of which are served at felafel stands and restaurants:

http://www.israel-mfa.gov.il/mfa/go.asp?MFAH0cen0

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

What % of customers would be sticklers for the falafel not falling apart?  When it's going in a pita with fixins, I always smoosh it up anyway.

Exactly. The point is really how good the mixture tastes and the freshness and tast of the stuff you are stuffing into the pita

If you're concerned that people won't eat the falafel because it's lacking meat/chicken, you might want to serve shawarma as well. It's marinated pressed lamb (ideal) or beef that's done on a rotisserie and served either in a pita or as part of platter with "salad" - diced cucumbers and tomatoes, tehina, hummus, and sometimes the falafel balls.

Oh, and as part of the toppings to place on top of the falafel - don't forget the spicy pickles.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Bienvenidos a eGullet, Sancho!

Falafel in Puerto Rico sounds like a great idea. I've often suggested to the Mexican guys at the local bakeries that they should open up a bagel store back home and call the bagels bolillos gringos. :laugh:

You might visit http://www.pitainn.com/index.html and click the "Contact Us" link. This is a hugely successful, family-owned restaurant that makes everything from scratch. They might be able to help.

Buen Provecho!

Fresser, el gran comedor

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

If you do decide to offer a meat option, do not fry it in the same oil as the falafel. Many people who would be interested in your product might be vegetarian, and would then consider it tainted.

As for the balls breaking apart, that always happens to me. I do have a solution, but don't think it's "authentic" enough for a restaurant. I scoop the batter, using a 1" disher, into mini-muffin tins. These have been sprayed with olive oil and also, spray the top of the felafels with OO, then bake. They don't look right but they taste great and are less greasy.

Where are you planning on being located? I suggest a busy pedestrian mall or another touristy location, perhaps in Old San Juan. If McDonalds can be there, why not a falafel stand? I remember in Hawaii, about halfway through our trip, we thought a Jewish Deli would do really well in Lahaina. You just get tired of whatever the local food is about halfway through a trip, and something, anything, different is welcome.

Hello everyone! This is great, I'm surprised how many people come in hear! My father would love this site, he is an amazing chef. I can't ask him about falafel though (I will try, he'll experiment I'm sure). Last night I finallyu made falafel that didn't crumble. it tasted ok but not like the one I use to eat all the time in this falafel place close to las ramblas, barcelona. Does anybody here now this place? (they only sell falafel and they have a self service bar for the extras and sauces). that has been my favorite so far. My falafel felt softer. It seemed like it was fried on the outside and warm inside but the consistency was very much like the raw falafel mix.

About the fact of the crumbling apart, I understand that the flavour is important and the freshnes of the ingridients but the problem I had with the crumbleing was not a small thing. It was imposible to serve them becouse they would just turn into this mess of oil and tiny bits of fried mix (not even a crumbled falafel, uneatable). It seams that the potato and bread healped but want to make many different recepies and finally sell the best.

About the meat offers, the ideas are great but I'm a semi vegetarian 9I do eat fish) and I really don't want to sell meat. my worry is how dificult will it be for me to get a good clientel only selling falafel and this really good fruit salad (watermelon, cantelope, papaya, mango, banana, homemaid natural yogurt, muesli and honey) in puerto rico (old san juan or hato rey(bank and office area). in barcelona I ate all the time in a place that only sold falafel and drinks and it was doing really good, but barcelona is very cosmopolitan and much larger.

Thankyou for your help so far!!!!! hope to hear more from you!!

About the meat offers, the ideas are great but I'm a semi vegetarian 9I do eat fish) and I really don't want to sell meat. my worry is how dificult will it be for me to get a good clientel only selling falafel and this really good fruit salad (watermelon, cantelope, papaya, mango, banana, homemaid natural yogurt, muesli and honey) in puerto rico (old san juan or hato rey(bank and office area). in barcelona I ate all the time in a place that only sold falafel and drinks and it was doing really good, but barcelona is very cosmopolitan and much larger.

Any more comments? Just that I think it's a great idea, especially for the touristy area of Old San Juan. When you are walking around on a hot day, nothing sounds better to me than a take away cup of fruit salad. Perhaps you could offer fruit smoothies as well? That and pitas stuffed with falafel or just salad ingredients (lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, etc) plus including hummus and babaganoush, will be a large enough menu. I can just picture your little store-front now, with a chalkboard out front tempting people with cold fruit smoothies & your fabulous falafel!

Sorry I can't offer more help with perfecting your recipe. Just practice and test! Good Luck!

I've had a lot of success packing the falafel tightly in a 1 ounce scoop. I don't add bread crumbs or potato or egg, just coarsely ground chickpeas (dry, then soaked overnight) with seasonings. I find if I don't pack the balls tightly, then there can be a problem with breakage. It's also better to have a mixture that is slightly dryer, versus a more wet mix. The scoop also makes them evenly sized, which helps in getting them all browned at the same time.

Mmmm....now I've got a hankering for falafel and tahini sauce!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Sancho-- why don't you give us your best recipe so far and we'll check it out and make suggestions? I'm sure you could get some good input. I agree with many of the earlier posts about offering plenty of side dish options like hummus. Maybe a good veggie pate would be good too.

Of course, if the falafel restaurant turns out to make some big bucks, you'll have to send us royalty checks.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I've had falafel break apart on me, too, but it seemed to occur when I tried cooking too many falafel balls at once (relative to the amount of oil) or when my oil temperature was too low.

Also, the falafel recipes I have had the best luck with use dried chickpeas that have been soaked for a good long while but have not been cooked. Most other recipes seem to call for cooked/canned chickpeas. This seems to result in a wetter, mushier falafel.

Do you have one of those falafel making scoop-type things that many falafel joints use? They make it easy to get a consistently sized and well-packed ball.

Good luck.

Good morning team falafel!!jeje. This is great. This internet stuff makes life easier, so much information.... So far I have tried about 2 recepies only. The first recepie I tried about 2/3 times and just crumbled no matter how much oil/temeperature... The last time I made falafel It was great, they fried perfectly but they were so so. I'm not a total falafel expert but I ate many in 4/5 different places in Barcelona and loved them. I always bought them from this one falafel place that were excelent and had a self service bar and I would just stuff the pita bread to the top...the veggies would fall out!! And tahini sauce in the midlle and on top...yum.

There is one major misunderstanding though I think. I'm not opening a restaurant, I'm opening a street cart. It is very interesting for me becouse my rent will be.....300$ a year, plus low cost mantence, staff (me and one more) and inicial cost(I have to buy the cart and food , a bit of publicity and maybe a van/pickup). I do want to make a cool cart and image of my business(name, logo, uniform while worling so it doesn't look like the common cart. Nothing against the common cart, street look, just looking for my own image. Also, I would really loke to sell something GOOD. So when somebody eats my products, they enjoy.

I have grown up in the restaurant business. I really look up to my father/mother. They are chefs and that is an amazing art. They are around 60 now and my father started when he was 14 and he has worked in Canada(Vancouver mostly), ST. Tomas US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Spain(Catalunya). Anyways, I study, play soccer, go to castings ...and want to work for myself. Also have low budjet to start(very low). I now how much time/cost involved in food business like restaurant.....so I think a street cart is great for me, atleast to strart, who nows in the next years what will come.

Sorry I go on with all this info but anyways, I want to sell falafel, fruit salad(with homemade yogurt, honey, cereal on top, I eat it at a vegetarian cart in my university and it sells a lot!) and maybe hummus, babaganush and tabule for putting in the falafel or as side orders. I have to see how I manage to fit this stuff in my cart, number one and how I will make this stuff at home. It has to be time/cost profitable right?

This is going to be my first time I start a business. I'm very excited but I also now that $ is a factor, time, ..... For example, the place I ate falafel in Barcelona ONLY sold falafel and normal stuffings. No Hummus, Babaganush, no Tabule. No dessert. Only falafel, a nice self service bar with chick peas, tomato, onions, broccoli(nobody seems to put it but it in other places but it was cooked a bit and tasted really nice in falafel) lettuce, olives, jalapenos and tahini and one other sauce, that's it.

I'll have to see the costs of making tabulle, hummus is ok I think and babaganush(price of eagplants in Puerto Rico basically).

Another problem is getting good quality pita bread. I read this relly good article about falafel in the net and it talked about the good quality pita being the thick one. Can anyboby help me with some info. Also it can't break easily, of course.

If anyone here has experince with street carts, please give me some info!!!!

Thankyou everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's great to be in Egullet!!!

Also, can I make the falafel mix and save it? For how long? How about hummus? Babaganush? Tabule? How about freezing??

What prices do you think are good? 4 $ aprox I have read about falafel in pita. Guess the filings make a difference in price.

Felafel mix should be good for at least 2 or 3 days provided it is refrigerated.

4$ is about standard in the US for a felafel.

The best felafels I have had were a mixture of fava and chickpeas and had a lot of herbs in it. the spice mixture is also crucial. Garlic, Onion (finely minced), cumin, scallion, tumeric, and coriander and some chile powder (cayenne or any other hot red dried chile) will give it that authentic middle eastern flavor. You also want to put some tahini into the mix as well for flavor.

Also I think the type of oil you use is important, you want one that carries a flavor. I'd go with one of the chinese type oil blends for deep frying which has some peanut oil in it. Maybe even use peanut oil entirely.

Oh! You're doing a street cart. Well that makes things a lot clearer. Obviously then you have to keep your menu simple. What you are considering making sounds well thought through and will keep your costs down. Skip the babaganoush at first, since it is more complicated to make (need an oven or a grill), and the eggplant will cost a lot more than chickpeas. I agree that you should probably search out a falafel scoop to keep your product uniform and compact. I also found a good recipe for you to check out on the web, click here, along with a great article about falafel with exerpts from Joan Nathan's book, The Foods of Israel Today.

Also, at some point here on eGullet we had an extensive discussion about pushcarts/streetcarts/hot dog carts. Talking about how much the vendors make, the carts themselves, etc. I've done a search but can't find the thread. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, it would probably be a good thread for Xavier to read.

:biggrin: Good morning! Thank you all for your help. I have made falafel at home a couple more times and I'm getting better at it. Made some nice tahini sauce too.

I need help with one thing, does anybody here now how the falafel carts are? I've never seen one. I ate at little corner busineses, never carts. I tried to look for fotos or info in the net but can't find any. I have to get a custom made ine here in Puerto Rico and would be good to know about the ones people use in Israel, NY, ...

Also, temperatures to keep Babaganush, Humus and Falafel mix in the cart, for example. Tabule is supposed to be served chilled right? Humus I imagine is tastier kind of warm.

Thanks, Xavier.