• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Alex,

Are we going to do a double blind testing of your wine clip on Saturday?

Sure, why not? Science and fun, hand in hand.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Looking forward to this weekend!

I think everything is more or less under control.

Friday's dinner is planned.

Saturday's party will feature meat & wine. (Of course, we'll also have a bit of booze & non-alcoholic beverages available.) Other than meat & wine, I'm a bit unsure what we're going to end up with. I'm going with the flow but if anyone wants to definitively make sure we've more than those two, please post or let me know via PM. (I've planning on some starters from Nero.)

Anything else that anyone would me to attend to while I've a chance?

Somehow I have the feeling that we won't have enough meat, therefore I'm bringing some smoked brisket and some brisket that I smoked and corned myself.

Cool.

You plan on assisting with the smoking Saturday? :unsure:

I could also braise some lamb shanks, etc. if we're concerned about enough meat.

OK, I was being a little sarcastic about not having enough meat. :wacko::wacko:

Whenever I'm at a party and we have some of my meat, usually by the end of the evening folks are crying out for carbs or vegetation. Most folks are just not capable of moderation and end up dazed and confused. It just so happens that I smoked up a couple of whole briskets this weekend and a wild goose and it would be seriously unwise of me to finish all of it. I have a vacuum sealer so it can make it to GR very easily. I have a fresh wild goose as well, but I don't think it would be wise to extend it to the weekend. My wife and I had only a small gathering on Saturday and as usual, I prepared far too much meat.

And yes, I'd be happy to help smoke. What kind of equipment do you have?

OK, I was being a little sarcastic about not having enough meat.  :wacko:  :wacko:

Whenever I'm at a party and we have some of my meat, usually by the end of the evening folks are crying out for carbs or vegetation. Most folks are just not capable of moderation and end up dazed and confused. It just so happens that I smoked up a couple of whole briskets this weekend and a wild goose and it would be seriously unwise of me to finish all of it. I have a vacuum sealer so it can make it to GR very easily. I have a fresh wild goose as well, but I don't think it would be wise to extend it to the weekend. My wife and I had only a small gathering on Saturday and as usual, I prepared far too much meat.

And yes, I'd be happy to help smoke. What kind of equipment do you have?

I missed humor. My bad. :sad:

As far as equipment, I've a WSM & I plan on picking up more lump charcoal later this week. (I've also a Weber 22.5" kettle grill.) I've thermometers & whatever else we'd need. If you can tell me what you want, I should have it. If not, either pack yours or I'll try to pick up whatever.

My plan is to begin smoking first thing Saturday AM, hang out tending that all day, & trying to remain sober enough for the evening activities. :biggrin:

My plan is to begin smoking first thing Saturday AM, hang out tending that all day, & trying to remain sober enough for the evening activities. :biggrin:

Sounds like every one of my parties! On Friday I picked up a keg of local pale ale and sure enough, it's 9 am Saturday morning and I have a beer in my hand. I had to be careful though because my wife and I were having a housewarming and we had to meet most of our neighbors for the first time. :wacko:

Luckily most of them left by 6 and those who were left were able to whoop it up. I love getting a keg. I used to think that having a mini-frige full of beer next to the couch was the coolest thing, but having a keg next to you while you watch the game is far better. :cool:

Somehow I have the feeling that we won't have enough meat, therefore I'm bringing some smoked brisket and some brisket that I smoked and corned myself.

Having just partaken of this stuff, I loved them both, but lust after the plain smoked brisket. Had I known you were going to have that much left over, I'd have taken a bigger doggie bag. Midnight last night; Heidi woke, got her back to sleep, munchies overtake, and I finally went to bed hungry, dreaming of that brisket :wub::wub::wub:

We wished we'd come up on Friday, done our other stuff that evening, and stayed on Saturday and whopped it up with you guys.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm thinking about bringing a few sheet pans of hot apps that we can pop in the oven to feed the starving masses.

That way I won't be jostling for burners with everyone at the last minute.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make those chicken pillow things! :wub:

I would like to try my hand at my version of my mother's carrot cake. What say you all?

Ronnie, I am sad that you will not be able to be there.

Heartland folk have all the fun... :smile:

Wish I could join all of you. Raise a toast for me too.

As soon as instantaneous time travel is perfected I can come to all the gatherings :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As soon as instantaneous time travel is perfected I can come to all the gatherings  :biggrin:

I would reason that your lemoncello may be the missing link in what could make that possible. A few hits of that, and I could be anywhere or anyone I wanted to be.

As soon as instantaneous time travel is perfected I can come to all the gatherings  :biggrin:

I would reason that your lemoncello may be the missing link in what could make that possible. A few hits of that, and I could be anywhere or anyone I wanted to be.

:laugh::wub:

Girl - you so silly... :raz:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

:laugh::wub:

Girl - you so silly... :raz:

Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone. They think I'm deadly serious.

Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone. They think I'm deadly serious.

Don't worry, Dawn. Your secret, (as well as a few other folks' secrets), is safe with me... :wink::biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm thinking about bringing a few sheet pans of hot apps that we can pop in the oven to feed the starving masses.

That way I won't be jostling for burners with everyone at the last minute.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make those chicken pillow things! :wub:

I would like to try my hand at my version of my mother's carrot cake. What say you all?

Ronnie, I am sad that you will not be able to be there.

Mmm, carrot cake.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Heartland folk have all the fun... :smile:

Wish I could join all of you.  Raise a toast for me too.

Me too. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd be packing up my yellow polo shirt and pointing the car towards Grand Rapids :biggrin:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I would like to try my hand at my version of my mother's carrot cake.  What say you all?

:biggrin:

I say: cool.

There's a variant on the Walker Bros. apple pancake that I do sometimes, too...no reason I can't toss one of those (or more) together for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday. *Adds to packing list: cinnamon sugar and copy of recipe*

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Me too. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd be packing up my yellow polo shirt and pointing the car towards Grand Rapids :biggrin:

Call in sick, Babe!

Matthew/Alex: Where can I help out gastonomically? Your wish is my command.

(Suzanne...Katie...check out those cheap fares.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com