• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite condiment

SobaAddict70

Has anyone else tried Colgin's Worcestershire sauce with liquid smoke?

I tried finding a picture of the bottle on the web but came up empty (not even the Colgin site had a picture!).

I used it in a marinade for some cheap steaks and it turned out to be quite good. The smoke flavor wasn't overwhelming but you could taste that it was there. It was like a subtle layer of flavoring.

One weird thing was that when I went to use the sauce again and removed the cap, there was a "pop" noise, like when you reopen a 2-liter bottle of soda pop. I couldn't figure out what ingredient in worcestershire sauce would cause this gas pressure, unless it's the smoke flavoring itself (which is actual liquid smoke, according to the Colgin web site, as opposed to something synthetic).

Liquid smoke is an antioxidant? (scroll down)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

but if I had to pick one favorite, it would be Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce. No Tab*sco in this house.

I so agree--love Crystal.

Hello. My name is Brooks and I am a worcestershireaholic"

have to admit--I detest worcestershire sauce--I sub soy sauce for it generally.

and did anyone mention nam pla? or whatever you call your fish sauce.

I saw no mention of Bufalo Chipotle sauce.  Also, horseradish sauce, not horseradish mayonaise or prepared horseradish.  Blues Hog barbecue sauce.

Jim

Count me in on the Bufalo Chipotle sauce love. I have two at all times- one at home and one by my desk- and have to buy replacements every few weeks. It's a steal at little more than a dollar a bottle. There is a real purity and richness about it, and the flavor is concentrated enough that you can cook with it as well as use it as a 'topper'.

If I want something hotter I use El Yucateco habanero sauce, which also has its own sort of purity about it. It's great on fish tacos, or mixed with mayo on a grilled chicken sandwich.

Another favorite that isn't a hot sauce is this jarred Tamarind/Date chutney that is available in Indian markets that I am starting to use on a number of different things- cheese and crackers, meats, fruit salsas, etc. -it works on everything!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."