• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dough Sheeter

kitwilliams

I am suddenly in need of a dough sheeter and have absolutely no experience with them. Croissant dough and puff pastry will be the main products, so any advice on which machines work best for the above-mentioned products would be oh-so-greatly appreciated!

Oh, counter space is at a premium so I would prefer a stand-alone with the folding up arms type rather than a counter-top machine.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

RONDO!

just like you shouldnt buy any other mixer han a Hobart, the same goes for a sheeter (IMO) buy Rondo, 2 direction dual speed. Works great for for croissant and puff doughs. It does carry a hefty price though....look for a used one

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

• 11 months later...

Coming in from the tarte tatin thread, dough sheeters are fantastic things... I used to work in a large hotel, and was rotated into the pastry kitchen for a time. We used them for all sorts of things.

Towels wet and in need of quick drying, but don't fancy burning them in the oven? - a sheeter makes a good impromptu mangle.

With judicious use of paper borrowed from the HR department, I managed to persuade one of the senegalese porters that the dough sheeter was a very old model of fax machine.

Our sheeter could be set ~really~ thin, so made excellent pasta, much easier than the £200+ electric pasta roller which sat unused and unloved on a shelf.

It crushed nuts evenly and at speed.

Commis chef giving you altogether too much lip during the run up to service? - wait tuntil the next time he brings in his BLT sandwich from subway (the sous chef rightly considered this a mortal sin) and using the sheeter, reduce it to the dimensions of a business envelope.

We used it for pastry too, occasionally... well, more than occasionally... we got through upwards of a thousand shortbread biscuits on a good day.

Edited by culinary bear (log)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

• 4 months later...

So now I finally have my Rondo SMK-64 set up in a fabulous kitchen. Little bit of a problem today with the croissant dough. The layers aren't showing up well, not as crispy and flakey as they used to be. Could I be overdoing it? -- I can't imagine that I am, as I used to beat this stuff up royally with a rolling pin when I was doing it all by hand and there seems to be so much less stress on the dough using a sheeter. It should also be known that I'm now baking in convection whereas I used to use conventional ovens.

If anyone can tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS The Rondo is so cool.

kit

Weebl

Hi

Ok I'll need the

formula/recipe

fermentation time

retarding time (temperature of retarder/cooler)

butter brand

number of folds

type of folds

and probably the most important thing is the number that you roll the dough down to

It would be my pleasure to help.

and probably the most important thing is the number that you roll the dough down to

It would be my pleasure to help.

The moment I read the above, I knew my problem. I was rolling it down to four or five. Tried again yesterday, raising the minimum to about a nine. Lovely, flakey product resulted. It's just so much fun to keep rolling that I got carried away!

Thanks so much, artisan, for your expertise.

kit

Weebl