• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Grocers

I'm exploring Mexican cooking and would like some tips on where to get good ingredients. I live in Manhattan, and would appreciate it if you could recommend some good grocers. I assume the best places are around 116th Street in East Harlem. I prefer to grocery shop in person, but would also appreciate some internet sources. Thanks for your help!

Joe

Just a suggestion, but since you are specifically looking for grocery stores in New York, you might get more response if you place your query on those boards.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you can go to NJ, in West New York there is Extra supermarket that carries lots of Mexican products - there is also the International Supermarket on Tonnelle Avenue (another thread) which has loads of stuff...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Hey, Joe - look at that!

So far so good.

Whado I know.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If you can go to NJ, in West New York there is Extra supermarket that carries lots of Mexican products - there is also the International Supermarket on Tonnelle Avenue (another thread) which has loads of stuff...

Thanks Sandra. If I'm in NJ, I'll check it out. Is there a Mexican community in NJ?

Jaymes,

You gotta start somewhere, right?

JosephB,

There is a Mexican community almost anywhere these days!

The Extra is very easy to get to, you can take a 166 bus to Boulevard East from the Port Authority, get off at 60th Street and walk away from the river, about 2-3 blocks, then ask anyone... it will take about 15-20 mintes from the PA...

I'm sure any of the bodegas up in the 100's and 3rd Ave also have Mexican porducts

OH and as for internet: http://www.mexgrocer.com/

Let us know if you have any questions on the products...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Joe,

I recommend La Loma del Tepeyac, on Lexington between 102/103, east side of street. Very nice people, just about everything you need. Good source of fresh herbs and vegetables that you won't find in El Barrio supermarkets.

If not there, there are dozens in the neighborhood, esp. around East 116th street.

-Ping

• 2 months later...

there's zaragoze deli on a and 12th or so that has a bunch of products.. not worth a trip just for it, but if you're in the neighborhood.. they have great tacos in the back as well..

on amsterdam, between 103rd and 104th is a larger and better stocked mexican grocer that has fresh tortillas, meats, cheeses, etc.. walking up amsterdam, until at least 110th you'll pass at least half a dozen mexican grocers as well..