• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water Buffalo Milk yogurt

Kim WB

I was poking around my local "gourmet shoppe" yesterday..not known for being cutting edge, but better than average cheeses and a nice selection of imported Italian foods...and I picked up Woodstock Water Buffalo Milk Yogurt..VErmont Maple flavor. WOW! Not sure if this is a common product, and old news to most egulleters..I'm not a big yogurt shopper..I'm a Stonyfield organic kinda gal...but this is great..better than total Greek yogurt...not overly sweet, great texture, and a distinctive flavor. It was $1.99 for 6oz...has anyone else tried this product, and how does it compare in your opinion to other yogurts?

You are absolutely right! Nothing can compare with the ethereal creamy yogurt made from buffalo's milk. How wonderful to add Vermont to the list of places where you can find it: the republic of Georgia; and the small towns of southeastern Turkey.

Do you have the name of the creamery?

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

According to the American Cheese Society:

Star Hill Dairy

Greene Road

South Woodstock VT 05071

802-542-5075

starhilldairy@aol.com

recipent of a million dolla ag grant from the Vermont Economic Development Authority, which was a first stage investor in Ben & Jerry's

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

According to the American Cheese Society:

Star Hill Dairy

Greene Road

South Woodstock VT  05071

802-542-5075

starhilldairy@aol.com

recipent of a million dolla ag grant from the Vermont Economic Development Authority, which was a first stage investor in Ben & Jerry's

yes, that's the info on the container..It's so good, its hard to leave it in the fridge, knowing its there for the taking. it's kinda weird to picture buffalo in VT..my only perception of buffalo is from that Kevin Costner movie... :laugh:

• 6 months later...

This stuff is fantastic!!! It has the consistency of ricotta, but is it smooth and rich. So far I have tried the Chai and Vermont Maple. I bought it from iGourmet., but hope to find a more inexpensive and local source. I have, but have not yet tried the vanilla.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

indians drink water-buffalo milk by the gallon--in fact, by percentage, indians consume almost all of the water-buffalo milk in the world. why the animal isn't raised extensively in the u.s i don't know. do americans not like the idea of consuming milk that comes from dark, hairy bovines?

I also just had some Buffalo Blue cheese that was made in England. It too was delicious. very creamy, not too pungent. Delicious.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Wow.

I've never tried this and it never occurred to me that there would be such a thing.

I'm going to look around Ottawa and see if I can find anything.

Thanks, Kim.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I understand that Whole Foods is now carrying the mozzarella. I hope they have the yogurt too.

Twitter - @docsconz