• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

fine vine for under $10

timothycdavis

Saw a Vietti Barbera d'Asti at Total Wine in NJ for $7.99 ... can't beat that.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

proseccos, which have been discussed on egullet in a few places, are a great bargain.  Zardetto is about 7 bucks a bottle at discount stores in NJ.

Currently $8.50 at Total Wines.

i hope that's not a sign that they're finally catching on.

Well they didn't have any other Proseccos that I could find. I thought that was a pretty standard price for Zardetto, but we didn't get any because I prefer Nino Franco and still have a couple bottles.

they used to be something like 6.76 at total wines. that's why i say that i hope it's not a sign that they're catching on, as the prices will surely go up. i suppose it doesn't help that i buy a case of the stuff every time i drive by. :blink:

2000 Casa de la Ermita, Oak aged from Jumilla. UK price inclusive of all our extorninate taxes about $10.

Think that Parker gave it 90.

Big but a little one dimensional.

Castell del Remei makes Gotim Blu. In 2000, it was fab, I bought 9 bottles @ $9 each. Now it's $10, except in NY where they don't allow direct shipping. Zachy's has it at $15 with a case discount. In NJ, Clinton Fine Wine and Spririt has it for $12.

This wine will hold a few years too.

beachfan

I concur Beachfan: the Castel del Remeis are brilliant.

Also, two others for around $10 - Morellino do Scansano and a Caparzo - that I'd recommend.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

"Coalition of the Swilling."

Oh I love it.

The very first wine I ever found that I actually enjoyed rather than politely drank in order to not look like a heathen was a McGuigan Bros shiraz/malbec with maybe also grenache. It was at Trader Joe's and Cost Plus and about $6. Haven't seen it anywhere for at least five years and have yet to like anything else as much. (I know -- very unsophisticated palate.)