• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a Turkey

snowangel

Easter is a week from Sunday, and I should probably start planning.  We will be having 20 for Easter dinner, only one of whom is a little kid (there will be four teenagers in the bunch).  How big a turkey should I get?  I'm smoking on the Kettle, so I don't have two racks.  One big ass turkey and fill in the gaps with some turkey thighs?  Or, is that over kill?

Ideas for sides welcome, too.

When it comes to smokin' I don't think there's such as thing as overkill.

Better to have too much than not enough. And if you do cook too much turkey, think of all the great leftovers you can make with it. Plus, it freezes well, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been stuck on the thought of a pound per person for planning - it seems to be generally right. If you take into account alot of sides - especially with turkey like potatoes, veggies ... - the pound per person might be too much. However, turkey freezes well and is always welcome.

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

I guess I should take my turkey out of the freezer if I'm planning on smoking it this weekend! I think it might be a 12 lb turkey, but I'll have to check. I've got applewood so that's what I'll use to smoke. I've read through this and since I intend to use the water pan, should I figure on 6 hours or so? Sides will be mashed potatoes, gravy made from turkey stock and glazed carrots likely. I suppose I should brine too. Overnight? How much salt?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I, too, could use some advice on how long I can plan for a 23-25 lb. bird.

I'm going to have to time this very well. I'll get home from church at about 7:15 am, and want to have food on the table at about 2:00 pm. Now, I'm thinking that I want to start this low and slow to let the smoke do it's work, but it shouldn't be a problem to kick up the heat later on because I'm not dissolving connective tissues. Anyway, any more guidance on time would be appreciated.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I, too, could use some advice on how long I can plan for a 23-25 lb. bird.

I'm going to have to time this very well.  I'll get home from church at about 7:15 am, and want to have food on the table at about 2:00 pm.  Now, I'm thinking that I want to start this low and slow to let the smoke do it's work, but it shouldn't be a problem to kick up the heat later on because I'm not dissolving connective tissues.  Anyway, any more guidance on time would be appreciated.

I am sorry that I will be missing the chance to smoke with you this weekend. We are going away Friday and Saturday and my dad remains in the hospital so I just do not see it happening. I have found when doing turkeys on the WSM that the total time is very close to what one would expect if doing it in the oven. I do use a higher temp, 325 at the dome is fine when doing turkey. As you know, brining will make a difference as well. A well brined bird will finish much sooner. If it seems I am avoiding the question, I am. I hate to give you a time. but I would fire that baby up as soon as possible. If you start low for any period of time 4 hours would not be out of the question. If it is done sooner, it can be held in a cooler wrapped in foil. If the cooler is heated with hot water first and the bird covered with a towel it will stay in the safe zone for as much as two hours. I would much rather have that big bird done a little early that have the ravenous horde threaten to order pizza.

Susan,

That's a big bird you are planning and it should, hopefully, fit intact on one grate in a WSM. I know of another eGullet-er that needed to split the bird and place half on one grate and the other on top. Something to consider.

I've cooked a 15 lb bird in around 2 hours in the smoker - running up to 400 F at the dome - really hot for a WSM. Additionally, the water pan was dry (sand) which helps get the temperature up there - in fact I don't think you'd be able to get that high of a temperature otherwise.

So, thinking through this, a 22-24 lb bird could and should be done in 3-3 1/2 hours. Importantly though is to hit the minimum of 165 F in the breast.

Here's some pic's of a recent turkey adventure:

gallery_38368_2336_11416.jpggallery_38368_2336_18828.jpg

As for brining, I find that 1/3 cup coarse salt and 1/3 cup brown sugar to 1 gallon (4L) of water is good base to work with. Add any other enhancers from there. Keep it cold, cold, cold and it should all come together.

Good luck

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

Since I'm not sure I have enough clearance in the trusty Kettle for a huge bird, I'm thinking of doing two smaller birds. I would think that two 12-pound birds would probably yield more meat than one 24 pounder. Right? My Easter Sunday is getting bigger.

The trouble with those big birds is getting an even cook... the thighs and legs get done, then overdone while the breast is still needing more time. Ugh.

The two-smaller-bird plan is a good one. I am not sure you will yield more meat but you will have likely more consistently cooked meat.

Good luck!

Brian

Brian Misko

www.houseofq.com

I've just checked my bird and it's about 9 lbs. Am I correct that if I do this at a higher temp on the smoker, say 350, it will only take a couple of hours and not be as smokey tasting as it would be if it was on longer and lower?

Marlene

I think you are correct, Marlene. If you want it smokier, do it low for the first hour and then kick up the heat.

I took some measurements of the trusty kettle and I have a 24 pound turkey. I was worried it wouldn't be enough meat (there are 5 teenagers in the group) and was going to get some thighs, but they were $2.29/lb. and I had a store coupon for breast at $.68/lb, so I added a 6 pound breast.

What kind of wood are you going to use, Marlene? I'm thinking apple. I have that and hickory. Votes anyone?

First time I've noticed this thread - but I'm smokin' turkey too. I have a boneless, rolled breast (skin on) that I want to smoke on Saturday. It's been thawing since this morning.

I have no plans to brine - it's kosher, so I figure it's brined enough. And then I thought I'd just wing it :wink: (oooh... I should throw some wings on too).

Any tips to smoking the turkey roast greatly appreciated.

I'm also going to toss some small brisket chunks on with it. As they're so small, I'm assuming they'll be done with or before the turkey. Because I'm doing the brisket I don't want the smoker to be too hot - make sense?

Since I'm not sure I have enough clearance in the trusty Kettle for a huge bird, I'm thinking of doing two smaller birds.

Have you thought about half-ing a larger bird. I had my butcher split a 22lb bird when I smoked it in the Bullet. Worked perfectly!

How long should our birds sit in the brine?  One 9 pounder, one 24 pounder and that 6 pound breast.???

HERE is the post on my turkey-smoking efforts. I brined it for 24 hours (as per virtualweberbullet.com) and was very pleased with the results. Of course, you have to keep it cold, but that shouldn't be a problem for some of you this weekend. :raz:

A.

Oh rats. I just realized my turkey is a butterball turkey. Does that mean I shouldn't smoke it? The weber site says not to brine it.

Marlene

Oh rats.  I just realized my turkey is a butterball turkey.  Does that mean I shouldn't smoke it?  The weber site says not to brine it.

GASP! Brining is a definite no.

HERE is the instruction page from VirtualWeberBullet.Com on smoking a Butterball.

I would have thought the butter-injections in the turkey would have cause flare ups ... shows what I know.

A.

So now I'm even more confused. Weber says the fresh whole Butterball turkeys are not self basting. I have a frozen whole turkey and according to Butterball.ca the fresh turkey is injected with margarine but it doesn't say anything about the frozen turkey being self basting.

Marlene

I'll add my two cents. On my cheapie propane grill (three burners) I put a bunch of soaked hickory chips in a double foil "pan" over the "high" burner and a triple foil water pan underneath the two off burners with the brined, six lb., spice/herb rubbed on top. Man, I hope that makes sense. :blink: I only have the themometer on that's in the center of the grill hood that I've kept at 225-300 and it seems to be doing it's smoking type of thing. We shall see. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

So now I'm even more confused.  Weber says the fresh whole Butterball turkeys are not self basting.  I have a frozen whole turkey and according to Butterball.ca  the fresh turkey is injected with margarine but it doesn't say anything about the frozen turkey being self basting.

I dunno ... I think you're getting caught in semantics here. My understanding has always been that "injected with margarine" = "self-basting".

A.

I know, but that's my point. the frozen butterball does not say injected with margarine, but according to Weber, the frozen butterballs are self basting. So now I'm not sure if I should brine or not.

Marlene

okey dokey. :biggrin: Maybe I'll skip the smoking and go get a fresh turkey to smoke a little later.

Marlene

I have smoked kosher turkeys whithout brining them and they come out fine. A butterball will be fine smoked, but Arne is right, do not brine it. As to temps, yes 325 is

fine. It will be done in about the same time it would in the oven. I have done turkey this way and it is great. The apple wood is the way to go with the bird. A little hickory is fine, but mostly apple. I like cherry with turkey.

The butterball will be just fine, do not brine it though.

Susan, those birds can do with a full 24 hr brine if you have the time.