• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a Turkey

snowangel

What about spatchcocking a turkey and smoking it that way?  I'm thinking it would help all the parts cook evenly and you wouldn't have to worry about internal cavity temp.

Anyone try that?

I smoke spatchcocked chickens all the time, it is my favorite way to do chicken. Not sure if a spatchcocked turkey would fit on my WSM, but if you have a cooker large enough to do it I am sure it would be great

Given one trustly ole Weber Kettle, Spatchcooking is not an option. But, I have two really lovely 11 lb. turkeys they are "fresh", but frozen, sitting in the fridge. From the local coop, complete with the names of the kids who grew them for an FFA or 4-H project. Fresh meaning they are not injected withwhatever Hormel or Golden Plump or Jennie-O deems necessary. I will brine them. I will smoke them.

You should have seen the other shoppers watching me purchase these turkey's, complete with measurements of the trustly ole Weber Kettle on the backside of an old grocery receipt, my reading glasses, and my tape measure.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Then just apply the rub as you wish. I keep the smoker at about 225-250 like I do for pork. Then, I just watch the internal temperature.

Don't forget the The Virtual Bullet site for more tips and techniques.

About how long should I plan to smoke this turkey? Any advice per pound?

Also, given that you pull the breasts out earlier than the dark meat, how do you keep it warm for service? Or do you rehea it?

Thanks,

Ian

It has been long enough since I smoked turkey parts that I haven't a clue on how long per pound. I go by internal temperature using a remote probe thermometer. I am not usually noticing time. I just drink beer and wait for the beep.

As to holding it for service . . . Well, first I have to think about that term service. When I am smoking meat with a lot of folks around I don't think we actually have a service. Folks are wandering around, munching on munchies and snitching from side dishes. They eat some of the meat when it comes off. I often have to fend them off with a large and scimitar looking knife to allow the meat sufficient rest time before slicing. I don't think I have ever held a BBQ where there was a point in time where "Dinnah is served" was ever announced.

But, I suppose you could do what the competitive teams do. When they pull meat from the smoker, they wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler, in this case more properly called a "keep-warmer." :biggrin: It will keep nicely warm for quite a while that way. (Where is that picture of the biggest cooler Igloo makes full to the top with foil wrapped perfectly smoked pork butts?)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Then just apply the rub as you wish. I keep the smoker at about 225-250 like I do for pork. Then, I just watch the internal temperature.

Don't forget the The Virtual Bullet site for more tips and techniques.

About how long should I plan to smoke this turkey? Any advice per pound?

Also, given that you pull the breasts out earlier than the dark meat, how do you keep it warm for service? Or do you rehea it?

Thanks,

Ian

A turkey does not have a stall like a butt or a brisket. There is no tough connective tissues to break down. Here is something I learned on the Virtual Bullet site when somone asked how long till it was done. The reply it is done when it is done. Very true, use a thermometer. The one smoking gadget I have obtained is a remote probe thermometer. Turkey is not an all day deal like butt and brisket. Perhaps three or four hours, but as all smokers know, conditions vary.

If it's only done when it's done, I better do a test run for sure then. Since it's Thanksgiving dinner, it will be formal enough to want a definite 'service'.

The cooler is a great idea, will do.

Do you recall how about much longer the dark meat takes than the breast? Since I'll have the turkey separated into dark and white meat, I can just put on the dark meat first, and try to have it all done at the same time.

FYI - from the Virtual Weber Bullet site:

Roast the turkey at 325-350°F until it reaches 160-165°F in the breast and 170-175°F in the thigh, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours for a 12-14 pound turkey.

Not sure how exactly that will traslate to a 225°F weber grill, but we'll find out soon enough.

Ian

PS some of our questions are answered in Col Klink's Smoking Class.

Turkey breasts are done at 165 F. If you’ve already cut your turkey into pieces you can easily leave the legs on longer if the breasts finish early. If you didn’t, not to worry, especially if you’re smoking on a wood-burning smoker or a grill. Since there is a temperature gradient across the cooking surface, you can place the legs closer to the heat for the majority of the time and your legs will finish before the breasts and everything is done when the breasts are done.

Usually a 20 lb bird will be finished in 2 1/2 hours time. This may be surprising to those who’ve never cooked a brined turkey because a bird this size would normally take about 3 1/2 to 4 hours in a conventional oven and that’s usually at 350 F, not 225 F. What does this mean? You need to keep a close eye on the progress of the meat. Start taking temperature readings of the breasts after an hour or so and do it regularly (3 to 4 times an hour) as the bird smokes. Obviously you’ll need to pay more attention as you get closer to 165 F.

Given one trustly ole Weber Kettle, Spatchcooking is not an option.  But, I have two really lovely 11 lb. turkeys they are "fresh", but frozen, sitting in the fridge.  From the local coop, complete with the names of the kids who grew them for an FFA or 4-H project.  Fresh meaning they are not injected withwhatever Hormel or Golden Plump or Jennie-O deems necessary.  I will brine them.  I will smoke them.

You should have seen the other shoppers watching me purchase these turkey's, complete with measurements of the trustly ole Weber Kettle on the backside of an old grocery receipt, my reading glasses, and my tape measure.

If you have time, please try and document your cook here with images if possible. I'll be off to the market this morning to purchase a turkey for de-boning and hot smoking on Sunday. Maybe we could compare notes?

Have a nice party.

woodburner

• 2 months later...

So, Thanksgiving is coming up and I've committed to smoking a turkey for 18 (!!!) guests -

Now, I have an offset firebox smoker and I've smoked many chickens, pork butts, racks of ribs, etc., but not yet a turkey.

I'm assuming I'll smoke two smaller birds instead of one huge one, and I'll have to start it in the wee hours of the morning, but I'm looking for some other tips.

Brines? Injection? Rubs? Any recipes? What temperature for a turkey? And how do you avoid having the bird come out completely black when you smoke it that long?

Help please!!

First stop . . . eGCI course on smoking. And check out the linked Q&A.

Second stop . . . The Virtual Weber Bullet site. Even if you aren't using a Weber Bullet, there are some great ideas and tips in there.

Now . . . Repeat after me . . . I will brine my turkey. I will brine my turkey. I will brine my turkey.

Actually, I have taken to quartering the damnable birds so I can pull off the white meat before it gets over done.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Okay, I will brine my turkey. I will brine my turkey. Got it.

Quartering the birds is a fantastic idea! The dark meat always takes so much longer -

And I forgot a very important question - can you make gravy from the smoked turkey, or will it be too overpowering? Recipes?

First stop . . . eGCI course on smoking. And check out the linked Q&A.

Second stop . . . The Virtual Weber Bullet site. Even if you aren't using a Weber Bullet, there are some great ideas and tips in there.

Now . . . Repeat after me . . . I will brine my turkey. I will brine my turkey. I will brine my turkey.

Actually, I have taken to quartering the damnable birds so I can pull off the white meat before it gets over done.

Another important tip. Be sure and either wack off the very ends of the legs, or take a knife and sever all of the skin and tendons around the bottoms of the legs. The meat will contract up and be much more thighlike. Actually, this is a do with all poultry, except for fried chicken.

And, yes, brine.

I've often combatted the dry breast if you want to present whole cooked birds is to drape the breasts with fatty bacon.

Turkey's don't take nearly as long as brisket or butt since there's none of that connective tissue and the ensuing stall.

Do three small ones. Leftover smoked turkey is divine. Come to think of it, any kind of leftover smoked meat is divine.

Good question about the gravy. I just use the parts and pieces to make a rich stock for gravy if I have folks that insist on having gravy.

Don't forget to save the carcass and any clinging meat. It makes a wonderful stock for gumbo or soup. You do need to remove most of the smoky skin before making the stock so that it doesn't taste like eau de creosote.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I found this from Steve Rachelin at bbqu.net - gravy from his smoked turkey recipe.

Sounds interesting .... I may try it - the madeira, cream, and maple syrup may cut the smoky flavor enough -

Maple Red Eye Gravy

Makes 3 cups

2 cups turkey drippings

1 to 2 cups chicken or turkey stock

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons flour

1/4 cup Madeira wine

1/4 cup coffee

1/4 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons maple syrup

coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Good question about the gravy. I just use the parts and pieces to make a rich stock for gravy if I have folks that insist on having gravy.

I'm going to try to have 1 regular and 1 smoked turkey for Thanksgiving. In reading the info on the Virtual Weber Bullet website, it was opinioned that low and slow was not the way to go for turkeys. Brining and smoking at about 325 was the consensus. Using smaller turkeys was also recommended (about 12-14 lbs). I'm going to try to do a test run this weekend using this recipe http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html or this one http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/t...52/m/8540032152 .

Icdm,

I have a hard time maintaining 300 on my smoker (depending on weather conditions) - so I don't think that will be an option to me. My father smokes turkeys at that temp. but they come out pretty black and ugly looking, but very good.

Let me know how this recipe works out, I was considering that one as well.

The other thing I'm concerned about is time - I see wildly varying time estimates. One of the recommeded links about said between 15 and 30 minutes per pound at 225-250 - that seems very short to me. Smoke and Spice says closer to 1 hour 15 minutes per pound at 225 - that seems closer to right to me (maybe a little long). The eGForums tutorial says "Usually a 20 lb bird will be finished in 2 1/2 hours time" at 225 - there is absolutely no way that's correct, brined or not brined. I've had 5 pound chickens take over 4 hours at 225-250 (and yes, they were brined). I'm very confused!!

So I wonder, when people talk about temperature for a smoker, where are they measuring the temperature? There is a huge temperature gradient across the smoking chamber, both horizontally and vertically. I usually place a wireless temperature probe close to the meat to measure the actual temp at the meat, and try to maintain that at 225-250. But the temp at the gauge is very different. If a 20 pound turkey is cooking in 2 1/2 hours at 225, that says to me that the temp at the meat is much, much higher.

Anyone else have comments on this?

I can only speak to the Weber bullet. I had already put my side firebox smoker in its foster home when I started getting all scientific. I can confirm that the temperature at the grates on the Weber varies by about 20 degrees F more or less. If I have 250 at the top vent, the grates are around 225 which is what I want. This is probably a result of the geometry of the Weber, with the heat circulating up around the sides. different geometry may make for very different results. The only thng I know to do is to use thermometers to get a good picture of what is going on in your set up.

I have also seen the higher temps for the turkey on the Virtual Bullet site and, while it might work, I found lower and slower more easy to control. Like I said back up-thread, cutting up the turkey helps the most.

I really don't know if I could get the Weber that hot anyway. I probably could without the water but I have never tried it. I am usually doing more than one kind of meat and I know what is going on at the 225 so I stick with it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Hi Neal,

Temperature should be measured at grate level, your using a probe thermometer so make sure prior to your cook, that it's properly calibrated. Put the probe in ice water and see if the digital reading is 32ºf, and then put the probe into boiling water and make sure it registers 212ºf or close to. If it's way off in either direction get a new one.

A quick and easy way to measure at grate level, is to stick the probe, fully through a potato and put the potato on the grate close to the Turkey. By doing this you will keep the probe off of the metal grate, which could possibly give you a false reading.

I hate making predictions to how long it will take someone to smoke cook anything, but I would ballpark a 12lb turkey for about 6-7 hours cooked at 230ºf.

Brining may speed the cooking process up just a bit, and the other big item is what temperature is the turkey, when you put it on the cooker.

Monitor the internal temperature of the turkey and shoot for 175ºf in the thigh.

Of course all my above advice is cooking the turkey whole.

If at some point you feel your in trouble and it's not getting done, I would remove the turkey from the pit and chop it in half, and then put it back in to cook.

I hope I've helped some.

Remember, before you start: mise in place

Allow yourself plenty of time.

woodburner

I can understand the confusion. There are so many variables. I think the temps of 325 were taken via the top of the Weber Bullet so the grill temp may be a bit lower. The temp is acheived by not filling the water pan (just foiled used to catch the drippings). From what I have read at that temp a 12 lb bird will take 2 to 3 hours for the breast meat temp to get up to approx 160. Some people foil and let rest in a warm cooler until they are ready to carve.

I guess I'll see when I smoke it. Oh also the bird is not stuffed or trussed so I think that helps with the reduced cooking time.

lcdm

The confusion lies with temperature at the cooking level, I think as you suggest.

I would caution with not filling the water pan with water and letting the fat drip into the dry pan, this could turn into disaster if the pan in a WSM erupts and it will, with a pan full of grease directly above a heat source.

You can easily cook with out the water pan, and let the fat drip into the heat source, and at the same time maintain 250ºf cooking temperatures.

woodburner

Alright, so I've smoked 1 thing in my life so far, and it was a turkey. It actually came out VERY juicy (because I brined it like a good little boy). The only problem was, I had a lot of trouble maintaining a consistent temperature.

I got my smoker for free from freecycle.org, and although it's not any name brand that I recognize, it appears most similar to the Weber Bullet. Actually, it seems like a cross between a Weber Bullet, and Dogbert. If you picture the shape of dogbert, and the size of a WB, then I think you've got a good idea what I'm working with.

It's got an ash-collecting tray at the very bottom, a bottom grate above that (accessible through 2 belly doors). Then there's a top rack (with a hinged section), and the lid, with another vent, and a fairly consistent thermometer (based on my comparisons with an oven thermometer inside). If I crinkle the roasting tray a bit, I can fit a 12-14 lb turkey in there.

Anyway, after watching Alton Brown's Turkey special, I was motivated to give it a try, but to do it my way. I followed his brining solution to the best of my ability (with what ingredients I had on hand), and that part was all good.

But then, Alton suggests a sort of a flash browning with the Turkey first, at around 500 for 30 mintues, and then cover the breast with foil and finish off for the last 2 hours or so. Since flash searing is exactly what I do with steaks on my grill anyway, the theory appeared sound, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

Only problem is, with Charcoal, I don't have that strict control of the temperature. I suppose I could have done the first 30 minutes on my grill, and then switched to the smoker, but... I started it off in my oven instead. No smoke in the oven though.

My question is, I wonder how much flavor I'm mission out on by not doing the whole process in the smoker, and also... without quartering my turkey, and without doing the 500 for 30 min, is there any other way to make sure my whole bird stays moist (breast and legs)? I'm worried that if I extend the cook-time too much, it will dry it out too much.

I've read the smoking for dummies class they have here, and I have a good idea on a base-line smoking technique. But I'm going for maximum moisture here (but not so much that I get extra salmonella goodness with my dinner). I've got mesquite for my wood chips, and I typically soak them for around 20 minutes before use to prolong the smoke.

I don't have a chimney starter yet, but it's on my list to get before next time.

I would also like advice on how to keep a consistent temp over the course of about 2-2.5 hours.

Thanks.

Hi, Tim. Thanks for chiming in on this. I'd feel far more qualified to answer this is you were smoking on a Weber Kettle, but a few observations.

Did you use a water pan in your Bullet type thing? I think they are essential, but fifi (Linda) can speak more to that.

But, several observations. The thing to test out a smoker is a bone in, fatty, skin on pork shoulder. They seem to be the most forgiving of the smoking meats.

Next, I would never start it in the oven. Rather, I'm a big fan of making sure the meat is as cold as possible when I put it on the smoker (in my case, a Weber Kettle). In fact, I usually put my meat back in the freezer when I'm getting ready to start the process. There is debate on at what temp the meat quits absorbing the smoke, but I figure I've never gone wrong with this.

When you load up the box, kettle, whatever with charcoal, I use a good portion of unlit charcoal.

Don't use wood chips, use chunks. I figure that the chips are kindling, which just increases the temp.

I've smoked many a turkey. Brined, very chilled, on a low and slow grill. NOne of my guests have suffered any ill effects, other than perhaps that they ate way too much and drank a few too many beers. I've never worried about food poisoning, because if the meat has been handled properly before getting to the grill, you should be OK.

Keep trying. It took me a long time to learn exactly how best to use my kettle, and I'd bet most Bullet users would say the same thing.

Finally, have you visited the virtualbullet web site?