• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking a Turkey

snowangel

Linda's technique sounds perfect. I don't use a smoker, but a Weber kettle works just fine so long as you watch the heat. I just did some parts last week (my brine has just a tad of sugar), but the temp was in the same range as Linda's, never crossing the 250 mark, and usually at 225. The thigh/drumstick quarters came out incredible. The boneless cutlet (For She Who Must Be Obeyed who ONLY eats meat within "ook", i.e., fat, collagen, etc.) was quite tolerable and not at all dried out, since it was both brined and spent less time in the kettle. An instant read thermometer is exceedingly helpful in keeping everything in hand.

Use a rub to taste, or just nicely peppered.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Oh . . . I forgot to add . . .

Save the bones and scraps for a batch of smoked bird stock. It is terrific added to veggies and such. I usually reduce it by at least half and freeze it in small quantities. Just be careful about putting too much of the skin into the stock pot or you will have something like tar stock.

I agree with rlibkind on the temperature. My bullet usually runs closer to 225 which is fine with me.

If you don't already put a rather deep aluminum pan full of water under the meat in your kettle, consider doing it. It doesn't really add moisture much but is a terrific heat sink and temperture stabilizer.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oh . . . I forgot to add . . .

Save the bones and scraps for a batch of smoked bird stock. It is terrific added to veggies and such. I usually reduce it by at least half and freeze it in small quantities. Just be careful about putting too much of the skin into the stock pot or you will have something like tar stock.

I agree with rlibkind on the temperature. My bullet usually runs closer to 225 which is fine with me.

If you don't already put a rather deep aluminum pan full of water under the meat in your kettle, consider doing it. It doesn't really add moisture much but is a terrific heat sink and temperture stabilizer.

Just for the record:

It's good to see you handing our advice again. I really missed having you around.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I know to keep it low and slow. I know to brine (no sugar here, either, Linda). I will third the birds. Leg/thighs and breasts.

I just wanted Linda to chime in and get back to the serious women's work. Smokin' somethin'.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

OK me-dear . . . I am back at women's work. I need to smoke some chicken. I happen to think that women are the best at smoking. We have the patience and finesse to bring it off with aplomb. (Does that rhyme with bomb that we are likely to get on this thread from the male smokers? :laugh: )

On the use of sugar in the turkey brine . . . I have sometimes used it. Sometimes I really want that more hammy taste to get past the turkey. To me, it is just a choice of what I think is a good idea at the time.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

OK me-dear . . . I am back at women's work. I need to smoke some chicken. I happen to think that women are the best at smoking. We have the patience and finesse to bring it off with aplomb. (Does that rhyme with bomb that we are likely to get on this thread from the male smokers? :laugh: )

For the record, I happen to find that a certain level of inebriation helps too. Not so much an issue with shorter smokes like poultry ... but an 18-hour butt? A couple o' pops helps a lot during the "stall". :wink:

I'll have to try smoking some turkey for Canuck Thanksgiving. I threatened my aunt with deep-fried turkey a couple Christmas's ago (oh no Arne, we couldn't possible do a Cajun Christmas! :blink: ) so this oughta go over real well!

A.

The smoked turkey leftovers make the very best grilled sandwiches. Cranberry-Horseradish mayo, smoked turkey and Jarlsberg cheese on good brioche, challah or potato bread, buttered and grilled until crispy outside. :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Just a few weeks ago I smoked a turkey at the request of my wife who got sick of an endless supply of smoked butt and spareribs that my WSM has been spewing out all summer. It was brined for at least 12 hours and I used apple juice and salt with no additional sugar. I took the advice on the Virtual Bullet site and smoked it at 325 or so instead of my usualt 225 for pork. Although it came out great, if not for the brine I fear it would have been overcooked and undersmoked. Next time I will go back to low and slow. Linda and Susan may consider smoking to be the work of women, however I think men can do it to. At least ones like me who do not have to poke, prod, fidget with the meat. Just let it go, and let the smoke do its magic. I did butt this weekend, pictures on the butt thread, and I went to the hardware store, took my mother to a viewing of her deceased friend, walked the dog and watched the ball game while my butt smoked. I understand that I had almost nothing to do with it. Just let it go.

Do the turkey Susan. You will love it. Brine away, it makes it wonderful.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

I'd opt for a large (18-20lb) whole bird. Cut it up into parts, leave the breast whole, and de-bone, leaving the skin on. Tie the breast into a roll, brine and smoke cook at about 275ºF

Smoke the legs, and use the left over parts for stock to make pan gravy.

Anyway you cook it should be good though.

woodburner

Is oak the preferred wood for smoking turkey? I tried hickory on a turkey breast awhile back, and it seemed a bit harsh.

I'm glad this thread is up too - I'm going to be cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner in November. Those minnesotans don't know what their in for - sounds like the smoked bird will be good enough to convince the staunchest traditionalist.

Ian

I'd opt for a large (18-20lb) whole bird. Cut it up into parts, leave the breast whole, and de-bone, leaving the skin on. Tie the breast into a roll, brine and smoke cook at about 275ºF

Smoke the legs, and use the left over parts for stock to make pan gravy.

Anyway you cook it should be good though.

woodburner

Why debone? It seems like you'd get a better flavor and juicier meat if you left it on the bone, at least that's how it works for other cuts of meat...

Ian

Save the bones and scraps for a batch of smoked bird stock. It is terrific added to veggies and such.

Many years ago my dad smoked a Thanksgiving turkey on his Weber kettle grill. It turned out quite well but the smoked turkey noodle soup my mom made from the carcass was heavenly. To this day my brothers and I still wax rhapsodic over that batch of soup. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Is oak the preferred wood for smoking turkey?  I tried hickory on a turkey breast awhile back, and it seemed a bit harsh.

I'm glad this thread is up too - I'm going to be cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner in November.  Those minnesotans don't know what their in for - sounds like the smoked bird will be good enough to convince the staunchest traditionalist.

Ian

I used apple wood to smoke my turkey, for poultry of any kind a fruit wood is better than hickory or oak. Many people smoke turkey with cherry wood. I save my hickory and oak for pork and beef. I would avoid mesquite at all cost for poultry and I am not crazy about it for pork either

Is oak the preferred wood for smoking turkey?  I tried hickory on a turkey breast awhile back, and it seemed a bit harsh.

I'm glad this thread is up too - I'm going to be cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner in November.  Those minnesotans don't know what their in for - sounds like the smoked bird will be good enough to convince the staunchest traditionalist.

Ian

Hey Ian,

Don't make your thanksgiving turkey your first one. You should have at least one practice smoke before the pressure of making it for Thanksgiving arrives

Why debone?  It seems like you'd get a better flavor and juicier meat if you left it on the bone, at least that's how it works for other cuts of meat...

Ian

Deboning and rolling does help with the shape, if you are looking to slice for sandwiches. And the more consistent shape will give a more consistent level of doneness throughout the breast.

But my last time attempting this (without brining, mind you) it was a little dry as I documented on the dinner thread. I wondered whether draping the skin on the breast would help with that, although it would eliminate the nice crust you get from the dry rub.

Bill Russell

Ian

Hey Ian,

Don't make your thanksgiving turkey your first one. You should have at least one practice smoke before the pressure of making it for Thanksgiving arrives

Yes indeed, I thought I'd try to find an excuse between now and then to get it right. Finding a use for 18 lbs. of smoked meat might be a challenge though... I have my heart set on a smoked brisket for labor day, not sure the next time a big crowd will be around for a bbq. Maybe I'll slice and freeze a it after I smoke it.

Ian

Finding a use for 18 lbs. of smoked meat might be a challenge though...

Rolling eyes, wondering and falling off chair.

Many, many uses for leftover smoked meat.

My best trick is if the meat has a bone, make stock with that bone, freeze in ice cube trays.

Reheat meat gently in a foil covered pan in over, moistened with one of those little cubes. Tacos, enchiladas, straight out of the pan, on a bun with sauce...

Fifi calls this stuff pantry gold. In my house, it is as essential as olive oil and garlic.

My best trick is if the meat has a bone, make stock with that bone, freeze in ice cube trays.

Reheat meat gently in a foil covered pan in over, moistened with one of those little cubes. Tacos, enchiladas, straight out of the pan, on a bun with sauce...

Fifi calls this stuff pantry gold. In my house, it is as essential as olive oil and garlic.

I'm glad it's close to dinner-time: you just made me very, very hungry. I'll smoke the bird this weekend, and then into the freezer it goes.

I'm still a little confused about the stock made with smoked bones / meat though. It seems like it would make for a too aggressively flavored stock. I guess I'll just have to try it out - people certainly seem to like it around here.

Ian

Leftover smoked meat? Hear ya go . . . BBQ Posole. I have been known to smoke some pork just to make this because the crowd was going to get hostile if I didn't make it. It is really one of those things that is about ten times better than it sounds. Yeah, it is a dish that yearns for a cold day but we have never let that stop us. Or, you could always freeze some of the meat for a cooler day.

When making the stock, I just take off all of the dark smoked skin that I can. That keeps the stock from getting too smoky. You also have to watch the salt level if you are concentrating it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I'm glad it's close to dinner-time: you just made me very, very hungry. I'll smoke the bird this weekend, and then into the freezer it goes.

I'm still a little confused about the stock made with smoked bones / meat though. It seems like it would make for a too aggressively flavored stock. I guess I'll just have to try it out - people certainly seem to like it around here.

Ian

I only use little bits of the stock to make sure that the meat stays nice and moist when it's in the oven. And, I find that since the bones were inside the meat, they tend not to make too smokey a stock.

Jack, maybe nix on the smoked turducken. Even in the oven, debate rages about the safety of leaving the various stuffings at such low temps for such long periods of time. You have a huge, dense mass of raw poultry and various egg-containing stuffings, and low, slow temps/times. Food safety people would frown and wince over this one, so unless you're totally insouciant about food-borne illness, you might want to rethink this one. I know that I'm not obsessive/paranoid about bacteria, not to excess anyway, but this is one thing I wouldn't chance myself.

Abra, not sure I agree. The rate limiting step is the conduction into the centre of the meat. Since turduckens can be cooked sucessfully I don't see any difference in cooling it in smoke. There is no difference between cooking in a 225F oven and cooking in smoke at the same temperature. If anything the smoke will help preseve.

I agree its different from cooking a large piece of meat, that one can assume is reasonably sterile internally, with the contamination on the surface. A turducken has been chopped and exposed all the way through, and its poultry with its inherent bacterial loading. I might stick a couple of silver forks into it to conduct the heat to the inside quicker. The objective would be to get the centre up to temperature within say 4 hours.

What about spatchcocking a turkey and smoking it that way? I'm thinking it would help all the parts cook evenly and you wouldn't have to worry about internal cavity temp.

Anyone try that?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver