• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Timmy's Sells Frozen

Kenk

Hi All,

I had a good source tell me that Tim Horton's is now selling doughnuts and muffins made in Toronto, shipped frozen to outlets accross the chain.

I believe this will explain all the lack of quality and taste and texture these products have had, as has been reported all over.

In the name of consistency portion control you get mediocrity for a basic simple item.

The new Timmy's slogan should be; "delivered freshly thawed to you every week!"

Is there any basis to this? Do you have a link or something to back it up? I don't mean to be rude, but just because a buddy told you this, doesn't exactly make it true.

I'd like to see some more proof before I boycott Timmy's.

Say it isn't so... :shock:

I was worried that the mega-expansion they have been doing ( in the corner of every new big box mega plex ) would have some like consequences.

Sure it isn't just frozen dough? What about the TIMBITS??

Thanks for some inspiration though - gonna whip up some sour cream glazed this morning.

Jenna Dashney

FRESH BUTTER HERE

Yes, sad but true. What's the world coming to when you can't even get a FRESH donut at Timmy's anymore!!??

They've spent millions of dough (pun intended) on a new facility somewhere in Ontario to make the donuts there and then ship them to all locations.

I don't think they're being devious about it, just the way business works these days. If you think about it, some Tim Hortons stores are in nowhere lands...these smaller volume stores can't afford to have full-time bakers on staff. And also it's a way to have a more uniform product within all the stores. They're only slowly starting to roll it out though, so it's not in all stores yet.

Here's a little secret: they still haven't figured out how to make the Timbits in the frozen form, so those will be fresh for now!

PS. You DO know they deliver frozen Ace bakery baguettes to stores around Toronto too, don't you?

Yes, sad but true.  What's the world coming to when you can't even get a FRESH donut at Timmy's anymore!!??

They've spent millions of dough (pun intended) on a new facility somewhere in Ontario to make the donuts there and then ship them to all locations. 

I don't think they're being devious about it, just the way business works these days.  If you think about it, some Tim Hortons stores are in nowhere lands...these smaller volume stores can't afford to have full-time bakers on staff.  And also it's a way to have a more uniform product within all the stores.  They're only slowly starting to roll it out though, so it's not in all stores yet.

Here's a little secret: they still haven't figured out how to make the Timbits in the frozen form, so those will be fresh for now!

PS.  You DO know they deliver frozen Ace bakery baguettes to stores around Toronto too, don't you?

I have a contact at Head Office for Tim's in Oakville, and I'm advised that yes, they do this for some of the remote locations that are nowhere near a larger Tim's. I know that in Oakville, the larger Tim's bake their doughnuts on premises and then deliver them to various locations like the drive throughs in Oakville. I know this because my best friend's son is one of the delivery drivers. There are lots of Tim's still making their own doughnuts though.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I would neither deny or confirm such informations - what I can confirm is that during my morning strolls arounds the Downtown Toronto area this weekend - I've seen a few deliveries being made by truck. They have a large pallet (4ft x 4ft x 6ft) containing various dry mixes, oil, paper products, etc. I would gather that not all TH's are using frozen product.

It's common practice in various bagel chains to make the dough and freeze the bagel where they are then boiled & baked on site. Maybe they do this with smaller locales

The main reason you still see raw materials at some outlets is it takes time to install the freezer units needed.

If I was a fanchisee, I would fight hard to keep my doughnut making equipment and keep the freezers out.

Timmy's should note

Krispy Kreme is comming and Dunkin Donuts is going.

(The shmoes running Tim Horton's (Wendy's) know about delivering the most mediocre food at the highest prices possible)

I have avoided going to Krispy Kreme up to now, I now have respect for the franchise. I will go to the place that is at least trying to sell a fresh product. There is nothing as good as a fresh greasy chocolate doughnut. No frozen timlike frozen pastery product can compare.