• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Trip

Next month I am taking our 12 year-old daughter to DC to visit friends and do the Our Nation's Capitol Tour. Based on what I have gleaned from this forum, the following seem good places for dining that are reasonably convenient to the Red Line (we will be staying in Cleveland Park), the Capitol, and the Mall where we will be spending most of our time. For lunch, Jaleo and Zaytinya: Could someone give me the cross-streets, as well as the closest Metro stop (Is it Gallery Place or Metro Center on the Red Line?) for 480 7th Street NW and 701 Ninth St. NW, respectively? For dinner, the choices seem to be between Bistro D'oc and Obelisk. Obelisk (2029 P St., N.W) seems further away and perhaps stuffier than Bistro D'oc (518 Tenth Street, NW (202-393-5444), between E and F). And other things being equal, I prefer French to Italian. On the other hand we will probably be meeting an old friend who works on the Hill and I would like to be able to talk to him. Which of the two is likely to be more conversation friendly for a Thursday night dinner? What is the price range for each?

I have enjoyed Cafe Atlantico, but I want to try something new.

By the way, I believe that Zaytinya is near the Spy Museum. Does anyone know if that is worth a visit?

Edited by VivreManger (log)

We've enjoyed several meals at Jaleo with kids younger than your daughter who had a severely limited interest in trying anything. With someone more willing to try things, it should be even better. The small plate tapas thing enables you to try a lot more things. Sorry I don't know how to get there by Metro, although that's how we got there. We were staying with relative in suburbs of Virginia and they rightly decided it was smart to park at a station out there and take the Metro into D.C.

I recall a couple of trips to D.C. way back when our daughter was younger. They were immensely enjoyable. Of course this is almost ancient history, but one of the things that still sticks in my mind was that the food in museums was so much better than what I've found in N.Y. That may not be true today, but the absence of iceberg lettuce and appearance of wonderful greens in salads was almost impressive then. Isit a sign of an obsession when you notice the lettuce more than the Mercury space capsule or Ryders and Homers? :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

For Jaleo (7th and E), get off at the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro, it's about a 2 block walk. When dining there, best to check what's going on at the MCI Arena and The Shakespeare theatre, as the place gets very crowded just before events. Timing it for just after curtain at the Shakespeare and whatever happens at MCI usueally ensures a more leisurly experience.

Haven't been to d'Oc, but enjoy Obelisque (21st and P) a great deal and it is located within 2 blocks of the Dupont Circle (Red Line) Station. I seem to recall the cost for dinner being aroun $30 for the a 3-course menu, plus wine at whatever level you want to spend. Very conversation friendly, but not too stuffy -- my wife and I went in jeans on the spur of the moment last time -- they's had a cancellation just before we arrived and they fit us in. Very friendly, and the celeb chef (here, anyway) was in the back, cooking away).

PS to caluculate cross streets just assign a number value for each letter -- ie addresses in the 200 block start at B street, 300 beging at C street, etc. And don't forget that there is no J street.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

there are a ton of restaurants in the cleveland park area...

for french, i can reccomend lavandou...a provencal restaurant in cleveland park...it is small and good...not excellent, but very good, and the prices are not outrageous.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

and of course, since i am going to be working at palena, i am partial to it...

and according to tom sietsma (the post reviewer) the little plates menu (which are not little) in the front dining room compose the best deal in town, with perhaps the best roast chicken in the city...i think all the little plates are $9.

Gallery Place is right across the street from Zaytinya as well.

Also, I think Obelisk is something like $50 for five-course prix fixe.

In Cleveland Park I am also very fond of Yanyu, higher end pan-Asian and Spices - more casual pan-Asian and Lebanese Taverna - mid-level Lebanese (duh...).

Bill Russell

and Lebanese Taverna - mid-level Lebanese (duh...).

me and my girlfriend go to the lebanese taverna all the time in rockville...it is super casual, and we felt some of the best food for the price in the area...then we went to the one in woodley park ( i guess their flagship), and i thought it was overpriced.

Isn't the Rockville location called Lebanese Taverna Cafe or something? I got the sense it was more like a fast-food outlet, while the Woodley Park restaurant is full-service.

Isn't the Rockville location called Lebanese Taverna Cafe or something? I got the sense it was more like a fast-food outlet, while the Woodley Park restaurant is full-service.

That's right. Rockville has counter service with shwarma (sp?) sandwiches, etc.

Bill Russell