• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salt of the earth, nutley

pnapoli

haven't seen this place mentioned before and was wondering if anyone has been...i've passed by a few times; looks cute.

RockADS21, you familiar with this one?

A google search turned up this website

PS: wazzup with the .ws extension on the URL? is this new? does it stand for....website? :rolleyes:

Was there when it was the Backstreet Gourmet which was sold and completely re-done in terms of menu and kitchen a few months ago becoming Salt of the Earth(walking distance from Papilion). I have not yet tried it but certainly plan to soon. Menu seems to have some interesting items. Interestingly the website does not mention liqour, but the old establishment did have a license - must not have been part of the sale as a liqour license in Nutley may be considered by the former owners as a more valuable asset than their restaurant space was...

A.D.S.

:huh I have found it hit or miss, I'm afraid. Somewhat decent the first time I tried it when they first opened. But then I went about 2 months later and was very disappointed. I'm not sure if it was a bad night or what! I'll probably give it one more try.

Was there when it was the Backstreet Gourmet which was sold and completely re-done in terms of menu and kitchen a few months ago becoming Salt of the Earth(walking distance from Papilion). I have not yet tried it but certainly plan to soon. Menu seems to have some interesting items. Interestingly the website does not mention liqour, but the old establishment did have a license - must not have been part of the sale as a liqour license in Nutley may be considered by the former owners as a more valuable asset than their restaurant space was...

Just returned from Salt of the Earth and had a WONDERFUL meal ... had to tell everyone about it. The entree was from the "Specials" selections and it was Rigatoni (al dente) with Chicken and Pepperoni in a Tomato-Garlic-Balsamic Sauce. WOW, I actually called for the chef to come to the table to tell him how good the combinations were. The chicken was thinly sliced, you could cut it with your fork. The pepperoni was finely sliced -- very thin, small pieces. The sauce was extraordinary. I'm only sorry it is not a regular menu item (and told the chef that).

BTW, RockADS21, when Backstreet Gourmet sold their business to Salt of the Earth they retained the liquor license. This is why the website http://www.saltoftheearth.ws/ does not mention liquor. It is a BYOB establishment.

Nutley Resident

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

PS: wazzup with the .ws extension on the URL?  is this new? does it stand for....website?  :rolleyes:

Samoa.

every country has a unique country code. they also own the right to that qualifier, unless they sell it, which is what i imagine Samoa did. Tuvalu did the same, and gave the world the ".tv" qualifier.

wasn't that fun? :unsure:

PS: wazzup with the .ws extension on the URL?  is this new? does it stand for....website?  :rolleyes:

Samoa.

every country has a unique country code. they also own the right to that qualifier, unless they sell it, which is what i imagine Samoa did. Tuvalu did the same, and gave the world the ".tv" qualifier.

wasn't that fun? :unsure:

:unsure:

but, thanks for responding..... :smile:

Moldava licensed its rights to "MD" for a substantial sum, and a piece of the action..

It's nice to see places like Western Samoa and Moldava participating in the digital age.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo