• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Chicken

Really Nice!

I was in an Asian grocery store last week and saw black chicken. The meat, skin and bones are black. I've seen it on Iron Chef, but I forget how they prepared it.

Does anyone have experience with this bird? How do you prepare it? Any specific techniques, herbs, spices etc. I should consider?

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I think black chicken is traditionally used to make a restorative soup. Haven't tried it, though. But following some of Nina Simonds's suggestions in A Spoonful of Ginger, I'd just use water plus shaoxing wine, lots of sliced ginger, and scallions.

I bought a black chicken a few months ago, and decided I'd buck tradition and just spatchcock and roast the thing.

Don't do that. :wacko:

If the chicken I had was a good example of the breed, they're fairly scrawny little things, and kind of tough and dry to boot. I think soup is definitely the way to go.

I must confess, I was a little put off by the bird I cooked. My brain just isn't wired to accept glistening black fat, grey meat, and dark blue bones. I felt like I was eating muppet. The strange (to me) color was what drew me in and caused me to buy the bird, but in the end the color was much more unappetising than entertaining. :shock:

edit: to say I don't mean for my comments to put you off your own meal. I was just sayin', as they say.

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

I felt like I was eating muppet.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Soup. Or braised with gojuchang and vegetables.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes, I think I've run across bits of the stuff lurking at the bottom of soup. Most unpalatable (the bits of chicken, I mean - the soup is invariably lovely)

Chuck in ginseng, moo'er or various other funny fungi things.

This talk of chicken soup (sort of) leads onto chinese chicken broth; having spent a great deal of time faffing around with bones, brunoise, browning, bouquet garni and the other paraphenalia which go into a fancy french fond, I went back home the other weekend and had chicken soup.

Mum had simply taken a chicken (frozen - apparently they're bigger, cheaper and have more flavour) and boiled it with water for an hour and a bit. It made a wonderfully clear, meaty broth (surprising how clear it was - I was always under the impression this demanded much messing about with egg whites, gravy strainers or bits of kitchen towel.

Anyhow, I was struck by how pure a simply a broth could be prepared with such simply ingredients. Chicken soup for the soul, indeed...

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!